PDA

View Full Version : nitrogen in tires???

BooBooMyKy
07-17-2008, 01:59 PM
i herd an ad yesturday on the radio stating for 21.95 you can get nitrogen put in your tires....why would you do that??

MaO3
07-17-2008, 02:02 PM
This is what I've read about it:

Copied from:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/070216.html

"Most tires are filled with compressed air, which when dry consists of about 78 percent nitrogen, 21 percent oxygen, and 1 percent other gases by volume. Water vapor (humidity) can make up as much as 5 percent of the volume of air under worst-case conditions. Filling your tires with nitrogen mainly does two things: it eliminates moisture, and it replaces skinny oxygen molecules with fat nitrogen molecules, reducing the rate at which compressed gas diffuses through porous tire walls. That means, theoretically at least, that a tire filled with nitrogen retains optimal pressure longer, leading to more uniform tire wear and better gas mileage. The commonly quoted figure is that tires inflated to 32 psi get 3 percent better mileage than at 24 psi."

J*B
07-17-2008, 02:04 PM
I'll just continue to check my tire pressure.. What a rip!!

BooBooMyKy
cool thank you i never even herd of that befor thank you
cheers no doubt i will use the free air at canadian tire too

hp2
I do not know if it is the same stuff my hubby had put in his work truck a dually.. but IT helps balance them.. In stead of calcium. Like they use in tractor tires.. works the same though

Like I said I do not know if it was nitrogen but he had GCR put something other then Calcium in thme

MaO3
07-17-2008, 02:07 PM
personally I wouldn't waste my money on it. I had heard about and had looked at it before, thinking it might be better in the long run for milage ect. But I dont' think that the difference is worth it.

Hans
07-17-2008, 02:15 PM
It is for race cars. What it does is it keeps the tires at optimal pressure under varying temperature because it's a less compressable gas then oxygen.

ByrdDawg
07-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Filling your tires with nitrogen helps them fill their bank account with money.

For an extra 39.95, they'll rotate your spark plugs and install a new buckle on your timing belt.

Barry Morris
07-17-2008, 02:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do not know if it is the same stuff my hubby had put in his work truck a dually.. but IT helps balance them.. In stead of calcium. Like they use in tractor tires.. works the same though

Like I said I do not know if it was nitrogen but he had GCR put something other then Calcium in thme </div></div>

Calcium mixed with water is used in tractor tires to give more weight (not on the bearings) for better traction.

A new product used is more envronmentally safe. But about 10 times more money.

Nitrogen is a gas, and every time you take a breath anout 75 percent is inert nitrogen.

Barry Morris
07-17-2008, 02:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is for race cars. What it does is it keeps the tires at optimal pressure under varying temperature because it's a less compressable gas then oxygen. </div></div>

Nitrogen is used at Bonneville for very high speed record cars. I don't think it's used in any other race cars.

BTW, I use the sidewall maximum pressure number, NOT the pressure on the door well. That number is just for better ride.

tired-n-cranky
07-17-2008, 03:04 PM
I have nitrogen in my tires. Came that way from the dealership.

Much smoother ride, and I don't have to worry about the temperature changes through the year affecting my tire pressure.

I get free refills on it for life too.

Jack Butler
07-17-2008, 03:18 PM
The Race Car application also allow the circumference of the tire to remain constant or as it was set.
To turn left the inside tire have to be less in circumference than the outside tires.
Nitrogen helps keep these crucial setting constant and at the measurement the Crew Chief set.
For street application it's overkill.
Just check it regularly and use the free stuff.

Jack Butler
07-17-2008, 03:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have nitrogen in my tires. Came that way from the dealership.

Much smoother ride, and I don't have to worry about the temperature changes through the year affecting my tire pressure.

I get free refills on it for life too. </div></div>

When you buy new and you get hydrogen included, how do you know if it the Hydrogen or the new tires?
Did you put it in old tires?
Have you taken the hydrogen out and replace it with air to do a proper A B comparison?

Jack Butler
07-17-2008, 03:36 PM
There is a powder or liquid that is put inside a truck tire to help with the balancing.
The larger tire is difficult to spin balance like a car tire.
The powder is used to compensate for this.

Barry Morris
07-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Appears I was wrong. nascar DOES use nitrogen.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/nascar5.htm

Anapeg
07-17-2008, 09:10 PM
I believe formula 1 cars use nitrogen, I could stand corrected.

Barry Morris
07-17-2008, 11:13 PM
No, Anapeg, you're right.

http://www.acppubs.com/article/ca6291735.html

"While the trend toward nitrogen inflation is relatively "new" to the truck and bus tire market, it has been long used in tires on Formula One, Indy, Le Mans, and NASCAR racecars; commercial and military aircraft; military vehicles; heavy off-road construction equipment; and the Space Shuttle. The Moon Buggy had its tires inflated with nitrogen. Also, the Tour de France bikes use nitrogen in their tires. Nitrogen is environmentally safe and non-combustible."

Interesting technology.

Barry Morris
07-17-2008, 11:14 PM
I wonder how soon Just Lubes will offer it??

07-18-2008, 12:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ByrdDawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Filling your tires with nitrogen helps them fill their bank account with money.

For an extra 39.95, they'll rotate your spark plugs and install a new buckle on your timing belt. </div></div>Don't forget changing the blinker fluid and filter, and greasing the muffler bearings.

Anapeg
07-18-2008, 12:58 AM
I was under the impression the moon buggy had tires made of some mesh compound. I must have either misread or misunderstood. Oh and Short Circutz, while your at it check the giggling pin on the laughing shaft. Grease for the high speed roller bearings on the muffler is critical, I prefer slipenfal lubes my self.

Barry Morris
07-18-2008, 10:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Short _Circutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ByrdDawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Filling your tires with nitrogen helps them fill their bank account with money.

For an extra 39.95, they'll rotate your spark plugs and install a new buckle on your timing belt. </div></div>Don't forget changing the blinker fluid and filter, and greasing the muffler bearings. </div></div>

Was that you in the car I saw yesterday with at least three half inflated tires??? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

DeleteAccout
07-18-2008, 04:40 PM
All putting nitrogen in your tires does is give you a very small ammount of gas mileage as your tire pressure is at the proper level for longer. Honestly ... it's a waste. Dont do it. Did it one, didnt see a difference. Still took me 36$ to fill up. Still had to put gas in 5 days later.

Your best bet to improve gas mileage .....

Change your air filter regularily. Check the filter every 4500 Kilometres.

Also ... try not to push past 3.5 - 4 on your RPS guage. Gettin the engin moving faster burns gas quite badly

Barry Morris
07-18-2008, 04:53 PM
You tried it once, on one car, and didn't check carefully.

How long did your tires have the nitrogen? Could you compare in any way air loss or tire life?

Most of these advantages are very subtle. A causual test, such as you describe, is not going to prove anything.

Jack Butler
07-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Change your air filter regularly. Check the filter every 4500 Kilometres.

A cab company in New York did a survey on oil additives and oil brands to find out which is the best way to go.
Duralube, Slick 50 and others Quakerstate, Castrol etc.
They found no additives or manufacturers stood out as being better than the other.
Basic, even discount oil, that meets or exceeds manufactures specifications, without any additives, is as good as anything, if changed after 3000 miles.
The test was done with new vehicles.
For older engines, a product called Restore is another story.
Designed to fill scratches and grooves in cylinder walls to increase compression, it is the real deal.
There is a definite mileage and power improvement.
Fourth gear acceleration can change enough to remove the down shift, to pass on the highway.

Barry Morris
07-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Slick 50 wears cylinder walls.

corn316
07-19-2008, 12:40 AM
nitrogen gas is used in all race cars cause the presure will never change wich is very important cause if one tire gets too hot it would change the way that it would handle and its a safety issue

Barry Morris
07-19-2008, 12:54 AM
Since they will change a tire on a Nascar racer to add 1/2 pound of pressure, this would seem to be the case.