PDA

View Full Version : Agawa Train tours

Simba
07-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Just wanted everyone's opinions on the train tours. I've never been and maybe may plan to. It's $65.00 a person (adults) Do you think that is overpriced? (keep in mind the meals are not included)

kitca
07-21-2008, 02:23 PM
you know what. i live here, and i explore back in the bush and scenic areas and even then i still really enjoyed the train tour. you get a full day on that train. i would pack some lunch and snacks and still checkout the dining car too.

not something i need to do again and again, but i did enjoy the time i did go.

Babzz
07-21-2008, 02:26 PM
I have never been on the train, but hoping to some day

Karen-Annie
07-21-2008, 03:10 PM
I've only been on it once but I would go again.Going across the Montreal River trestle alone is worth it! The only thing that I would change is having another 1/2-1 hr. at the canyon-not quite enough time to see and explore everything.

SusyQ
07-21-2008, 03:11 PM
I've been there twice and it is worth it. Pack your own lunch etc it is quite expensive.

Xzavia
07-21-2008, 03:43 PM
The last week of school both of my boy's classes had a field trip that involved going on the Tour Train. They were allowed to invite family members, whoever they wanted and all we had to pay was $15.00/per person. Both Hubby and I went, I'd never been and it'd been years since Hubby went. (And we figured we'd never see the fare that cheap again, as we'd checked it out before and it was costly then).

My boys as well as 99% of the classes brought their handheld games, books, etc to play/read once the novelty of watching trees go by wore off. They make announcements when they are coming up to certain monuments you want to see.

And as K-A said, you don't get nearly enough time once you get to the canyon. They announced on the way up various trails you could check out but failed to mention you really need to hoof it to get all the way up and back before the whistle blows.

If you've got young kids, pack lots of munchies...it's amazing how hungry they get when boredom sets in. The dining car is nice, the prices weren't as bad as I expected.($5.00 for a bbq chicken sandwich, coffee (which was pretty good and hot) was about $1.50, same as pop). It was nice to have a change of seat while you ate. We had also packed sandwiches/cookies/apples/pop/juice/muffins which the kids polished off and then some. (Thought we had lots for the day trip but I was off a tad).

It's a beautiful ride, you won't see some of the views any other way then from the train.

Have fun if you do go. Hubby and I enjoyed sitting together and just talking most of the trip (when we weren't watching trees go by), other than a bunch of pre-teens hyped up on redbull (thanks to their thoughtfull parents for packing THAT of all beverages!)it was really nice. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

P.S. A bunch of us picked up Timmie's for the early morning ride and drank them once we got seated.

AngelOnHigh
07-21-2008, 04:01 PM
i went a long time ago... with my boyfriend (we were like 15 years old... lol) and two others... i had a blast. I think it is worth it... and i cant wait to get back to the sault for a visit and take my family... i think they would LOVE it too.

J*B
07-21-2008, 04:26 PM
It's a nice ride for most first timers, but have heard many, many comments about people being bored especially a second time around, and as mentioned you don't have much time at the canyon.
The color season is when the views are the nicest and it draws the biggest crowds. I worked there in train service so I've seen it a few hundred times passing through on freight and passenger trains both so the novelty kinda wore off a long time ago for me.
It is expensive for a ticket and anything you happen to buy on board and those are probably the things people like the least about it. I would say if you have never been, you should go at least once though..

ByrdDawg
07-21-2008, 10:44 PM
They should pay some big guy to put on a Sasquatch suit and run through the bush when the train goes by.

Generate a bit of excitement.

sereenie
07-21-2008, 10:56 PM
I havent been there , But i think 65 is a little bit much, but once again... i havent been there so i dont know if its worth it.

skibunnie64
07-22-2008, 12:33 AM
I been there was a kid for ACR family picnics when my dad worked for them...then with work been there last 5yrs..very long day and the ride home seems to take forever...we also get a deal in June where we pay like 16 bux...next time i go will be during the fall colours...i always wanted to do that

For first time..well worth it...the falls are beautiful there

skibunnie64
07-22-2008, 12:34 AM
forgot to mention they do increase their prices in the fall or at least they have in the past

J*B
07-22-2008, 07:12 AM
We used to have fun with the Americans, of course they were always full of questions like their favorite one.. What are the chances of seeing a moose?..
I would tell them that they have to look very carefully because when the moose hear the train coming, they duck under the water until it goes by!!!! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

A lot of them wanted to come up and ride on the locomotive for a while so I brought a few of them up there for about 10 minutes each, something that's not ever done any more..

Lance
07-22-2008, 10:53 AM
I took a 2 1/2 hr Via Rail from Brockville to Toronto's Union Station for $100 and had no nice scenery and sold no beer,so $65 seems like a deal.

Simba
07-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Thanks everybody for your input I appreciate it! I think I may go!! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Verotik
07-23-2008, 12:26 PM
long boring overpriced train ride, personal taaxi for the lodges up there paid for by tax dollars

ByrdDawg
07-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Hey, the Sasquatch guy, some animated dinosaurs and then hit 'em with the Giant Mosquito Attack!

You could sell tickets for 100 bucks!

Koss
07-23-2008, 12:55 PM
We have some company coming into town tonight. We'll be heading up to agawa tomorrow. I haven't been there in ten years and I'm looking forward to it.

Verotik
07-23-2008, 02:47 PM
zzzz what a treat for your company lol

Koss
07-23-2008, 03:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: verotik667</div><div class="ubbcode-body">zzzz what a treat for your company lol </div></div>

and thanks for your wonderful contribution to this thread. No worries, I always enjoy myself and am looking forward to the trip.

Simba
07-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Have fun and let me know how it went!