View Full Version : Is this normal? Gastric Bypass

07-24-2008, 11:40 AM
My mom got her surgery done a year and a half ago. She is still having problems digesting meats, especially pork and chicken. If she eats pork [censored] she does is try and barf it back up. She seems to thinks its fine but all she eats is crackers, chips and popcorn!!? She eats other things as well but she's loosing her hair like crazy because she's not getting enough fooooooood!. Does this sound normal?

Bill Nash
07-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Did she have the MGB or RN-y? It seems like a long time to not be able to do chicken or pork. It did take me almost a year to be comfortable with both, .... so maybe she shouldn't worry yet.

There are loads of healthy foods she should be eating though. Tell her to keep up with veggies and fish if she can. Make sure she takes her vitimins as well.

Good luck.

07-24-2008, 06:15 PM
She's a nurse, kinda stubborn. But she takes a mean amount of vitamins to stop her hair form falling out. (doesn't work) Fish is even starting to bug her now. She could do the fish before. But she can't go near pork or she tries to vomit. I'm not sure what one she had done.... the one that isn't reversible, or is hard to reverse? Not the one with the band, and she got it done in traverse city.

07-24-2008, 06:34 PM
It must be the RNY.. which is reversible if it causes serious problems but is much more risky than the surgery itself.

07-24-2008, 11:03 PM
She should consult her surgeon..

perhaps she needs prilosec or another drug.

07-25-2008, 09:41 AM
I just find it odd that no one else complains of these things- that i hear of anyways. She didn't follow any diet from the beginning. She just didn't eat much for a while, mostly only soup and mashed crap. Maybe thats got something to to with it? Do you have t re-train yourself to eat those things? I don't understand how popcorn is okay for her to eat and digest when chicken or fish or pork isn't? She's very stubborn and takes major offense if you tell her to try and eat something other than chips..... but i'm just curious. No one else had these problems?

07-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Nope.. I eat everything... the only things that bother me is starchy foods... like pasta, bread, rice and potatoes... all meats are great for me... but everyone is different... she really needs to get some protein in ... even if it is in shake form..

07-25-2008, 11:31 AM
Perhaps her hairloss is totally unrelated to her new eating habits. A friend of mine went into menopause at around 27...they called it Premature Ovarian Failure. One of her symptoms, along with the hotflashes, was pretty drastic hairloss. It was becoming so thin in places that she almost had bald spots. Her doc put her on hormones and it began to regrow.
I agree with KelBear on the protein, and you can't get that in pill form. It sounds like if she's eating mostly chips, crackers and popcorn she may become deficient in almost every vitamin. I think dieticians say that vegetables should make up at least a third of your diet.

07-25-2008, 11:52 AM
She needs a shrink.

Luv to be on the GO
07-25-2008, 01:30 PM
She`s a Nurse ???????? She should know better !!!OMG

07-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah i agree, she does know better, but she's a stubborn woman! I wanted to get some advice so i can say " yeah well the people on soonet that had it done don't have a problem with it!" lol

Thanks for the info everyone!

07-26-2008, 02:59 AM
My mom is the same way also.
She can't eat chicken well. She doesn't genearally eat pork. BUT, when she does, she can't eat that either.
She also barfs back up rice if its not cooked right.
LOTS of stuff.

This surgery isn't all fun and games...

07-27-2008, 03:44 PM
My niece had this surgery last March and she is now in big trouble, basically starving to death, she can not keep down any more then a teaspoon of food at a time and she has to wait at least four hours between spoonful’s, she has lost weight but looks like hell, her skin is bad and her hair is falling out in handfuls and she is tired all the time, they are now saying she may have to go on an IV to help build her body back up, poor girl is scared she may die..we all are.

07-27-2008, 03:57 PM
what about digestive enzymes?

07-27-2008, 07:32 PM
I am doing fantastic with mine..
last night I had half a burger with only bottom half of the bun and half a hotdog with no bun.. then a small amount desert.
No issues what so ever!!

I am only 2.5 weeks out from the mini bypass and down 18 pounds /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

07-27-2008, 07:37 PM
I have also had the minigastric bypass and couldn't better happier with how I feel. I can eat almost any type of food I want just not a lot of it. I usually eat as much as kid.

no name brand!
07-27-2008, 08:28 PM
now i am going to say it, but it only comes from experinece..after you have made the choice to have this operation and risking your life to do so. The time after you have your operation you are in recovery mode, this is the opportunity to learn how to eat properly. When i say properly i mean portion control.food groups.nutritional values, needs and necc. You should know the canada food guide like a bible. You are starting from a clean slate, this is the opportunity with a smaller stomach to teach yourself the proper eating habits. If yu dnt drastically change yu will be obese again, and the studies will back me up.Not to mention i have watched 10 yes, 10 people, have different forms of operation all gain weight back. This operation is a tool, not a cure, if yu dnt utilize this tool for long term gain yu will fail,end of story.Just because yu can get it in, does not mean yu should be eating it. the first year after i had my gastric bypass, i asked myself,is this peice of food in the portion size i am looking at on the canada food guide? It drives me nuts and i mean NUTS to see people risk their lives for weight control and not change how they got there in the first place..yu have to creat good eating habbits, the operatin only last about 3 years,then yu will be 100% on your own eating intake, And frankly dnt care the crap your money makin drs have told yu, I ahve had the operation and i am telly you the truth.

no name brand!
07-27-2008, 08:34 PM
and not to hijack so bad but yes i have issues with bread pasta and dense foods,but i find if i drink water, it eases..and stick to strick portion control as well

07-27-2008, 11:04 PM
someone said digestive enzimes, and i was thinking the same thing. there are different surgeries, and with mine, and babbz, and kelbear, handyman etc... the mgb, we dont have to worry about digestive enzimes, but with the rny, you just dont have enough stomach to produce the enzimes to break down the food. i ws at a meeting where they said never to take a large soft gel pill (omega 3-6-9) because there isnt enough to digest it and the coating gets stuck in your little openings. it is very painful and aweful.

so, i know the meats are alot harder to digest, maybe your mom is having a hard time digesting them and therefore puking them back up. the vitamins are crutial!!! not just for hair loss, but for malnutrition, it is imperitave that she takes the proper vitamins for the rest of her life.

the hair loss is a fairly normal side effect of malnutrition/surgery weight loss. because of the bypass, in those first few months, first year, we arent absorbing the nutrients (which is why we have to take 3 one da day vitamins instead of 1) so hair does fall out.

i also agree with luvsunshine... that the surgery is a tool, and we need to use it for the tool it is, and change our ways.

if you are worried about your mom you could contact the office where she had the surgery, they should provide followup care. there is also a nurse here in town who has had the surgery in traverse city and is very helpful with anyone. she organizes the monthly bypass meetings (which is where i learned all about digestive enzimes and the rny). if you want i can pm you her name and email.