PDA

View Full Version : Plantar Fasciitis?

Chaotic Chick
07-26-2008, 03:06 AM
Anyone had this? And if so, have you had a steroid injection in your foot? I have suffered for several months and tonight the ER doctor told me I could either take steroids for 7 days or he could inject me in the foot. Since I cannot walk at all, I chose the injection (I think the dr thought I was nuts lol. He said no one chooses that). I have to be on crutches for a while but I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with this because he was unsure how long it will be before I can (FINALLY) walk normally again. My foot is pretty swollen right now and still hurts pretty badly but I am crossing my fingers that this will work.

blueeyedgirl
07-26-2008, 12:36 PM
I have this but so far have not used any treatments. My dr recommended a few things to do with my foot and that has helped some. I have to do certain exercises in the morning before getting out of bed. Prop my foot up for about an hour or so a night. I get a massage done on my foot once in a while. All that has seem to help with the inflamation of the heel and with the pain. Also had to buy a really good pair of shoes with great support.

Puppy Lover
07-26-2008, 10:38 PM
Hi CC,

I have had plantar fasciitis for about 9 months now. It is very painful. I have had cortisone injections into the foot on two separate occasions. They definitely work, but unfortunately, I only got about a one month period of relief following each injection. I am now trying physiotherapy, have been going for 2 1/2 months and that has only helped minimally. I think the best thing I can recommend is really good quality shoes and possibly go to see Dr. Simard or another chiropodist for orthotics. Good luck.

Chaotic Chick
07-27-2008, 12:40 AM
Thanks guys. Apparently I have a severe case because I went without seeing a doctor about it for over 6 months and the tendon has completely "disconnected" or something like that. I have been wearing orthotics for 3 months, wearing good quality shoes (I miss my high heeled sandals!) and taking anti-inflammatories.

Puppy Lover, I appreciate the information about the injection. I was told it will be a few days before I feel better, hence the crutches. I wasn't going to try physiotherapy because it is an expense I cannot really afford right now, but I may do it if the cortisone doesn't work. And I will ask about seeing a chiropodist as well. I just want to be pain free!

Puppy Lover
07-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Oh, I hear you (regarding the "I just want to be pain free"). This has been driving me crazy. I love to go for walks, but have been unable to. I have tried EVERYTHING and it just doesn't seem to be getting anywhere. Most recently, my physiotherapist has tried something called IONTOPHORESIS (big word). Anyway, with this treatment, he actually puts cortisone on a gauze pads and infuses it into the tissue using electrodes. It is TOTALLY painless and seems to be helping a bit, although I have only had 2 treatments. There are some physiotherapy clinics in town that are covered by OHIP. The one across from the court house on Queen Street is one of them, and I am not sure which other ones there are, but it might be worth calling them. Even if they can't do the IONTOPHORESIS, I have had success in the past with ultrasound and accupuncture. I see patients with plantar fasciitis all the time, but most of them get better in a few weeks (usually all they need to do is give up their heels and put on better shoes), but like I said, I have been trying to get rid of it for about 9 months or so.

Chaotic Chick
07-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Oh, thanks so much, I will see about having the iontophoresis done. I usually walk a lot as well. I feel so lazy and useless lately lol. It has been a long time for me; approximately 8 months of pain in my foot until I went to the ER crying in pain. I had no idea something like that could have me crying.

kitca
07-28-2008, 12:09 AM
oh gosh, i had it a few years back. it was agony! i had to get used to the orthodics and wore them everyday for about a year. it wore off very slowly, lasted for almost the year, but thank god, it went away. thats the good thing, it will pass.

sorry, i never knew of injections or anyting but orthodics to help. what does the dr or physio say to do, better to try to walk or just stay off your feet?

Chaotic Chick
07-28-2008, 10:47 AM
I was told to walk by my doctor, but then the pain was so bad I had to stop working. The ER doctor said to use crutches because of the injection. The injection itself was not painful but WOW, the injection site hurts a lot right now! My foot is so sore at the injection site that I have no idea if it is working or not right now. I am trying to get ahold of my doctor's office so I can see him and get a referral to a physiotherapist and maybe some different NSAID's than Advil. He just came back today so I have had a busy signal all morning.

vixen
07-28-2008, 11:35 AM
I started having problems with it when I was pregnat. its been off and on for the last two years now I just tak advil when it bothers me. It seems to only bother me in the winter though,some mornings I could not make it from the bed to the washroom. and my feet didnt look like they where mine so swollen.

vixen
07-28-2008, 11:36 AM
wow I really hope the shots work for you and you can move again. I feel your pain good luck.

Chaotic Chick
07-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks.

I went to my family doctor today. He gave me a pamphlet with exercises and said they were the same thing a physiotherapist would give me. He gave me Tylenol 3s and said the steroid injection may not work for a few more days. Argh. So I am still to use my crutches and see how it goes. I am crossing my fingers!

Puppy Lover
07-30-2008, 01:30 PM
I have a feeling that the steroid injection is not going to help if it hasn't yet. First of all, you said the injection was not painful. Cortisone injections in the foot are VERY PAINFUL, so I am wondering if it was even done properly. Secondly, you should have seen a big difference by now in terms of pain. I found that the day after the injection was quite uncomfortable, however, within less than a week, I have significant improvement. The only drawback was that the pain relief only lasted for about 3 weeks. I do think that the iontophoresis is starting to help though. I sure would be happy to be able to go for a walk again. I have been putting up with this for 10 months now.

Chaotic Chick
08-05-2008, 04:13 PM
It sure hasn't helped at all. My doctor said it probably didn't hurt much because the ER doctor more than likely used a local anesthetic as well. He probably did because I had no pain at all that night after he injected the steroid.

I want to be able to go for a walk again too. *sigh* I want to be able to walk at ALL because I am supposed to start classes September 2nd. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif My doctor said not to bother with physiotherapy but I am going to anyway lol.

Chaotic Chick
08-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Last week, even though my doctor said it would not help, I started physio at the Sault Physiotherapy Clinic. I am still in pain but no longer on crutches! It is a bit better. My physiotherapist said the ER doctor must have completely missed the plantar fascia when he did the injection. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I am hoping it will improve some more. At least I can do housework, etc without crying in pain.