PDA

View Full Version : Car overheating

Cruel_Intentions
07-28-2008, 08:46 PM
Hey,

I have a 1990 Jetta 1.6l Turbo-Diesel that recently started overheating quite bad (steam out the overflow tank). I thought it may be the thermostat, so I changed that out and no go, same problem. I pulled off the upper rad hose and ran the car for about 10 seconds, there is some flow out of the hose, but not as much as I thought there would be.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking prolly a new waterpump is in order, but am willing to try anything before I go down that road.

wheeling
07-28-2008, 10:05 PM
pm sent

Barry Morris
07-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Electric fan?? Is it working? If not, you may have over heated and blown a head gasket.

J*B
07-30-2008, 07:21 AM
18 years old!! I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it needs a water pump!!

Barry Morris
07-30-2008, 11:01 AM
You can diagnose a problem, or you can throw parts at it.

Throwing parts isn't a bad idea if you're going to keep the car.

08-10-2008, 07:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Electric fan?? Is it working? If not, you may have over heated and blown a head gasket. </div></div>The coolant pump should still be pumping coolant properly then. They stated that there wasn't a lot of coolant flowing when they pulled off the upper rad hose.

I'd be betting the pump.

However, you might want to check the lower rad hose first to make sure it isn't kinked/collapsed/plugged.

Canwrench
09-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Not going to have flow if the stat is closed Pulling a heater hose off would be a better choice if you want to see how much is flowing

09-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Yes, you're right.I was assuming that Cruel Intentions meant that the thermostat and housing were pulled too when checking for flow.