PDA

View Full Version : My kids in surgery, say something funny PLS.

A*lil*Loopy
08-02-2008, 07:48 PM
OK, I'm sitting in his room waiting for him in surgery. He's getting his gall bladder removed and I feel a bit helpless right now. If you have any funny things to say, please do so. I could use a giggle or at least something lighthearted.

I'm running on no sleep and not liking this one bit. I gotta say that the staff is being incredible though, they've been treating him extremely well. He's 18 and has been hurting since Thursday night, they decided they'd better take it out now or it could be a nightmare soon.

Quick Slice
08-02-2008, 07:51 PM
is this the one who was trying for his liscence?....im sure the surgery will be fine.....

A*lil*Loopy
08-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Yes, same one. He got his license and a few hours later ended up having a gall bladder attack. He was supposed to have a full weekend planned helping out with the retriever trials and maybe some airsofting with friends. He hasn't even had a chance to borrow the keys yet.

Quick Slice
08-02-2008, 08:02 PM
that is so sad......he probably gave himself an attack worrying about his test ..joking....he will be fine...my mother had her gall bladder taken out almost 20 years ago and when they did finally take it out it was bigger then a football..

There is always next weekend for him to steal the keys....lol...and borrow gas money HAHAHA

A*lil*Loopy
08-02-2008, 08:17 PM
He lucked out on the examiner for his license. The man was relaxed and pretty nice to deal with. We requested him because we didn't want a repeat nightmare with the same woman.

Hopefully I'll be complaining about him stealing the keys and borrowing gas money soon, but he's stuck in here for a few more days. They told me he should be back here to his room in about 2-3 hours. So I'm going to try to remain relaxed and not get myself in a panic.

I was impressed about how much he asked the surgeon. He was pretty direct and didn't want it sugar coated. He's been on morphine since last night but it doesn't seem to work. They gave him Tylenol for a fever and he felt less pain then compared to the morphine. I'll going to see if they can give him something else since a different nurse explained to me that morphine does not work for everyone.

axalon2003
08-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Let's start off the joke here then...

A bear, a rabbi, and a plumber walk into a bar....

Next line?

btw. I am sure your son will do fine. He has a good reason to recover now that he has his licence.

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Babzz
08-02-2008, 08:31 PM
the plumber taps the rabbi on the shoulder and............

He is gonna be fine Loopy!!!

westend mama
08-02-2008, 09:17 PM
My 19 yr. old had her gallbladder out 13 days ago, she is doing great, it was day surgery. My youngest had her appendix out when she was 10. It is always scary when your baby(no matter what age they are)goes under the knife. He will be fine, I will be thinking of you tonight, I know what you are going through!

westend mama
08-02-2008, 09:20 PM
I had mine out when I was 19 also....a few days in the hospital back then though. Who is doing his surgery? My daughter had Dr. Reich, we really liked him.

A*lil*Loopy
08-02-2008, 09:30 PM
It wasn't Joe, he's on vacation right now. It was Dr. Reimmer (sp) and he's taking care of Joes patients right now. He was just here talking to me so all is well as can be expected. He sat and explained everything to me so I know what to expect in the next couple of months.

His gall bladder was very inflamed and distended but they drained him and took it out. It was pretty nasty in there I guess but they've rinsed him and cleaned him out (sounds like doing dishes,lol). I should see him back in here within the next hour. I'm sooooo relieved that he's going to be ok. I just really, REALLY wish that our GP had notified us of the test results from the ultrasound back in April. They showed gall stones but the doctor never let us know.

KRP
08-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Glad to hear everything is ok. Just warn him to really follow the doctor's restrictions to avoid ending up with a hernia or doing more damage.

I had my gall bladder removed almost 3 mths ago and it was Dr. Taylor who did mine just before she went on maternity leave. It was 3 wks after my surgery I was moving something within my restrictions and ended up with a hernia deep in the abdominal wall.

IMHO
08-02-2008, 09:51 PM
I am keeping all my old crotchety parts...heck no one wants used and abused body parts anymore. The only thing I lost so far is my virginity and that was a hoot.

Barney Rubble
08-02-2008, 10:02 PM
A woman goes to the doctor's and says, "Doctor, Doctor, you have to help me. Every time I go to the bathroom, DIMES come out!"
The doctor tells her to relax, go home, rest with her feet up and come back in a week.

A week later the woman returns and says, "Doctor, Doctor, it's gotten worse!

Every time I go to the bathroom, QUARTERS come out!! What's wrong with me?"

Again the doctor tells her to relax, go home, rest with her feet up and come back in a week.

Another week passes and the woman returns and yells, "Doctor, Doctor, I'm still not getting better! Every time I go to the bathroom, HALF-DOLLARS come out! WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH ME?!!"

The doctor says, "Relax, Relax,... you're just going through your change!"

westend mama
08-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Glad to hear all will be fine.....now just make him do as he`s told...have fun with that!

Super Gram
08-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Having a gall bladder removed these days is a snap. I had mine removed in 1960 by Dr. Bill Kelly a great surgeon. I had attacks all the time when I was preggie. Had to have morphine a couple of times. When I had it removed I was left with a scar that extends from the middle of my stomach down to my leg. Had to have a drain for 15 days while I was in hospital. Took it home with me and had to open it to drain into a bottle for 15 minutes every night. I sure wish I could have had it done the new way.I couldn't straighten up for a good 3 weeks.

However it has never bothered me. I can eat anything.

So Loopy I think your son will be fine altho they had to remove it when it was inflamed and thats not good. But those stones can rip everything and the pain is out of this world. I had 2 kids an the pain was nothing like those attacks. They bring you down to your knees believe me. He is better without it.

Now for the funny part. My daughter took my stones to school for show and tell in Jr Kindergarden. Geeze wonder what the teacher thought. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

SusyQ
08-03-2008, 12:17 AM
I`m sure everything will be fine. Go rest now.

vixen
08-03-2008, 06:29 AM
Could have been worse... you could be towelies parents!! lol
I hope your son feels more like himself soon, but while hes down and cant get far you can have the "what happends in the back seat of a car talk" lol just joking!

A*lil*Loopy
08-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Haha, I don't expect that for a long time...........really, I don't.

Talked to Dr. Reimer this morning and he said that the gall bladder had been really bad, he was rather frank with the nurses and myself. All is better now, my son is sitting up and talking better. I've escaped for a couple of hours (not gone far) so that he can have some sleep.
He had a bit of a fever when I left but they weren't too concerned so we'll just hope for the best.

I certainly hope my kid is as stubborn as I am and is up and going in no time.

To all who stopped by this thread and said nice things, thank you so much. And to the others, thank you too. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

soldierx
08-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Wow, that's rough. Sounds like things will be okay though, hopefully he's back up on his feet in no time.

nightingale
08-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Hi Loopy, I just got to this thread. It sounds like everything is going well. I know that I would be a wreck too if it were my son in surgery. The worst of it is over though, we will be sore for a few days, but feeling a LOT better than he was just prior to surgery. Everything is smooth sailing from here!!

everywoman
08-04-2008, 07:45 AM
Hey Loopy...just read this now. Poor kiddo! Glad to hear everything turned out ok. I'm sure this was the LAST way he was expecting to celebrate getting his licence!

08-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Good to hear everythiong went fine. At least they did his right away. Took me two years plus a trip to emerg in Sudbury while I was there on other business in order to get them to finally take mine out. I was up and around within a day or two, and back to normal in about 2 weeks. They were able to do mine with the scope, no invasive surgery.

He'll be borrowing your car keys regularly before you know it!

tippikitty
08-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Hey Loopy, just got home from camp and read your thread. I'm glad to hear everything went well. Best wishes for your son and a speedy recovery!!!

MaO3
08-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Ditto for me on the camp thing!

I'm sure that he will heal quickly and will be "driving" you crazy in a lot less time than you think.

Glad hes' doing well!