PDA

View Full Version : First time flyer...eeek!

Smash
08-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Hey all....

Well I will be taking my very first plane trip out of the Toronto airport in a few weeks. I am SCARED to death!!!! Anyone out there have sum info as to what to expect...is it scary...does it hurt ur ears? lol

Actually...I am more concerned about what to do when I get to the airport?!? Like I have no idea of the procedures and what exactly happens once I walk into the airport?! Like what goes on from the time I get there till the time I am ON the plane? Such as....do I have to check in? Check baggage sumwhere? Get stuff searched? If anyone has a little outline of what has to be done I would appreciate it, just so that I have some idea of what I will be doing lol thanx!

sereenie
08-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Well, Planes are fun, WINDOW SEAT! Try to get one beautiful too look at the clouds :P, No its nice when u get lower and see houses.
Uhmm ears not really , Maybe they pop a bit , I never had a problem, But then again i was on a plane like 6 years ago lol

sage
08-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Flyng is awesome! I admit I was a bit scared too first time. We arrived 1 hr early to check in our bags,(if you dont know, ask someone there)☻ then you just kind of wait around until they call your flight, then you get on the plane. If you have to puke, there are bags on the plane - take deep breaths through your nose outrough your mouth. If you think you might get motion sick, pop a Gravol, it will make you sleepy.
When you get to Toronto - Whoohoo, its a blast. Lots to see, but just ask where to get your bag, pay attention to & ask questions.

Tutones
08-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Make sure you give yourself at least an hour lead time at the Toronto Airport - it's a busy place.

You have to go to the airline desk that corresponds to your flight company, check in your luggage, get a boarding pass, go through security when your flight is called and wait there until your plane is ready to board. After that, it's no big deal - the bigger the plane the less you will notice.

Smash
08-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanx alot for all the info! I am excited and scared all at once lol

Umm does anyone know wut I can take ON the plane? Like...could I take my laptop bag AND a backpack? Do they go thru ur stuff and inspect it? Will the metal detector thingie damage electric stuff like computer and cell phone, etc?

Sorry haha, but this is all new to me! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

H.E. Pennypacker
08-07-2008, 08:05 PM
ok, so, you get to pearson, you walk in.. it's absolutely huge. Outside above all the entrances they actually have signs for what airlines are inside of those doors.. ( http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1028/756419844_c58c070916_b.jpg ) when you walk in there will be plasma screens with flight info ( http://farm1.static.flickr.com/73/209701236_50d4a479bc_o.jpg ), it will show what letter your check-in area is at. (see picture http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1131/968435827_5323fec39c_b.jpg ) Go to that letter, and you will see this area to check in, ( http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1147/968440503_7eacd87a80_b.jpg ).

Once your baggage is checked in for what is going under the plane, you can proceed down to security. They will ask you to empty what is in your pockets, if you have your laptop and bag with you they will ask if you have a computer in it, and may ask for permission to go in the bag to check it. They will also give you your gate number.

If you are wearing any metal, like watch, belt, it's probably best to just take it off and put it in the container that you put everything into to get xrayed thru the conveyor.

Once through the security, you will see this area, http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2198/2477749856_851da495f3_b.jpg
and go down the escalator to the gates / waiting area / shops and restaurants. Don't be tempted to buy anything before your thru security like liquids, as they won't let it through!

This is the main drag of shops / gates / restaurants:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2026/2095885325_e2820214bc_b.jpg

gate numbers are clearly noted, and you can't really get lost since it's one long hall that just stops at each end. Going to smaller places like the sault just requires you to take an escalator down to the basement gates, since you walk on the tarmac to get on the plane. it's clearly labeled though!

Hope that helped!!!!

as for the plane, if you think your ears are gonna pop and stuff, just bring a pack of gum. as for what you can bring and what you can't, this website will have the most info!

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/english/help_aide/faq/index.shtml

haha
08-07-2008, 08:12 PM
sit next to a real hottie, u'll be fine

Madmax
08-07-2008, 08:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey all....

Well I will be taking my very first plane trip out of the Toronto airport in a few weeks. I am SCARED to death!!!! Anyone out there have sum info as to what to expect...is it scary...does it hurt ur ears? lol

Actually...I am more concerned about what to do when I get to the airport?!? Like I have no idea of the procedures and what exactly happens once I walk into the airport?! Like what goes on from the time I get there till the time I am ON the plane? Such as....do I have to check in? Check baggage sumwhere? Get stuff searched? If anyone has a little outline of what has to be done I would appreciate it, just so that I have some idea of what I will be doing lol thanx! </div></div>

Crouch down head between legs, have a pillow there too and get some floatation devices incase of water you will float... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

As for airport they strip search you and do a body cavity search before and after you land, but incase of a fatal crash no need for the after search... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

What goes on in the plane stays in the plane, but its ok i will state it now. They have these wild women called flight stewards that walk up and down the aisle waiting for anyone to get out of line and when someone does they tazor them.... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Seriosly though .... now you will be fine and as long as you get your baggage in way before flight maybe get there 30-45 min early to when your suppsoe to be there for baggage and get it checked in. When on the plane you sit there like a car ride and it is fairly quiet, look out the window and see the little cars on the roads and such and enjoy your trip as it is not a very long one from T.O to here.

P.S have a safe trip and get back here soon.

moochie
08-07-2008, 08:13 PM
planes arent my choice of transportation. just think if something goes wrong,youre basically finished. Youre life is literally in Gods hands up there /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

haha
08-07-2008, 08:14 PM
on that note, wanna go with him moochi, i'll gladly buy a one way ticket

H.E. Pennypacker
08-07-2008, 08:14 PM
ok 30-45 minutes won't cut it, seriously. at least one hour in the pearson airport is necessary..remember that. since you're unfamiliar, your best giving yourself 1.5 hours before you take off to be there. there is free wifi anyways for while your waiting.

\m/ Rich \m/
08-07-2008, 08:15 PM
if you're worried about the compression on your ears, chew gum.

moochie
08-07-2008, 08:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: \m/ Rich \m/</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you're worried about the compression on your ears, chew gum. </div></div>

dats the least of your worries /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

haha
08-07-2008, 08:22 PM
moochi dont u want to go for a walk up korah rd?

moochie
08-07-2008, 08:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: haha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">moochi dont u want to go for a walk up korah rd? </div></div>

youre spooking me out man, who are you lmao /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

haha
08-07-2008, 08:25 PM
yes i see u walking on korah rd, ur lucky its not winter or i'd nail ya with a snowball

moochie
08-07-2008, 08:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: haha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes i see u walking on korah rd, ur lucky its not winter or i'd nail ya with a snowball </div></div>

lmao you got me curious now, deres like only a few people that i told or even know that i do that? now who could you be hmmm

Madmax
08-07-2008, 08:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: haha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes i see u walking on korah rd, ur lucky its not winter or i'd nail ya with a snowball</div></div>

Use the nearest rock then... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

moochie
08-07-2008, 08:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: haha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">or i'd nail ya with a snowball </div></div>

thats funny.

haha
hahahah!!!! next one i see

H.E. Pennypacker
can we keep this on topic please. moochi take your trash elsewhere.

moochie
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MadMax</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: haha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes i see u walking on korah rd, ur lucky its not winter or i'd nail ya with a snowball</div></div>

Use the nearest rock then... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

max how could you say that i know who you are from NuComm if i remember right

haha
08-07-2008, 08:28 PM
this from the king of the one line highjackers

moochie
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Art Vandelay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can we keep this on topic please. moochi take your trash elsewhere. </div></div>

k ill take it to Hart store then

moochie
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: haha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this from the king of the one line highjackers </div></div>

k haha who are you im thinking thinking thinking... no you cant be anyone i told

moochie
08-07-2008, 08:31 PM
k well when i went on a plane, i was younger and didnt know much of what i was gettin into, but now if i were to go id be spooked as heck

Madmax
08-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Dude i was joking of course .... get a air ball and throw that at him next time.

moochie
08-07-2008, 08:34 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MadMax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude i was joking of course .... get a air ball and throw that at him next time.

</div></div>
i know i know, im just curious on who he/she/it is?

Madmax
08-07-2008, 08:34 PM
PM them

Lollypop
08-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Anyhow, as far as hygeine products, the sample sizes are the ones you want. They threw out our full size tube of tooth paste.
Once at the airport, expect to be bombarded by taxi drivers. Security is usually chasing them out, once you are outside the airport, security will flag the next taxi down.
We brought carry ons with us, if you are a smoker or want to go outside you will have to go thru security each time, you cannot leave your luggage anywhere.
Have fun.

Smash
08-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Thanx for those of you who stayed on the topic...I appreciate it.

I know I can't bring like regular sized toothpaste and all that stuff....but are you allowed to put that and things like shampoo or conditioner or creams in ur checked baggage??

H.E. Pennypacker
08-07-2008, 09:24 PM
yes

Luv to be on the GO
08-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Have Fun .....You will want to FLY every place you go
Everyone is nervous the first time you fly ...But your gonna Love it !!!

Smash
08-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Thanx everyone! I am feeling better about it now....kinda excited to try it out and I think now that I have more info. I am not so paniced about it! lol

Verotik
08-08-2008, 09:29 AM
if the seat belt sign dings twice during take-off that means to put your head between your knees and pray for a soft crash!

AmdWolfman
08-08-2008, 09:45 AM
get a window seat then you can see the wings flapping in the air. not much holding them on. when u leave ssm wait till you get to T.O. and you see how really big it is,and smoggy. have a nice trip.

Smash
08-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Im already horrified...no need for anyone to reference CRASHES!!!! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

haha
08-08-2008, 06:28 PM
join the mile high club

moochie
08-08-2008, 07:48 PM
somedays i just wanna get a plane to winnipeg amnd stay there

Macs II
08-08-2008, 07:52 PM
whats in winnipeg ?

moochie
08-08-2008, 07:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats in winnipeg ? </div></div>

i dont know, jobs maybe?? never been there but it looks cool and interests me, heck mnaybe ill learn some independence there or on my own out of this sad city, lol

B.David
08-08-2008, 09:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey all....

Actually...I am more concerned about what to do when I get to the airport?!? Like I have no idea of the procedures and what exactly happens once I walk into the airport?! Like what goes on from the time I get there till the time I am ON the plane? Such as....do I have to check in? Check baggage sumwhere? Get stuff searched? If anyone has a little outline of what has to be done I would appreciate it, just so that I have some idea of what I will be doing lol thanx! </div></div>

Once you get past the slight ear popping take-off, and the entire plane shaking from turbulence, you're left only to deal with the annoying little packages of peanuts, and tiny glasses of coffee, orange juice, or apple juice. And, about an hour from the point that you take off, you'll feel like you are dropping quickly out of the sky, and while you grip the arms of your seat tightly, you'll hear the engines roar and feel your body thrust forward once you touch the ground.

Once you get into Pearson's terminal, its easy. Just don't talk to anyone who works there. They don't speak English. Remember the movie, The Terminal, with Tom Hanks? I think all Pearson International employees have been in the same situation, except they never got out.

Personally, I love flying. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

GoldDogs
08-09-2008, 12:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rockarolla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">somedays i just wanna get a plane to winnipeg amnd stay there</div></div>

Me too.

moochie
08-09-2008, 01:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yorkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rockarolla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">somedays i just wanna get a plane to winnipeg amnd stay there</div></div>

Me too. </div></div>

you been there? i havent but it looks inevitable

bluekrissyspikes
08-09-2008, 10:36 AM
housing costs out there a insane...

moochie
08-09-2008, 10:38 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bluekrissyspikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">housing costs out there a insane... </div></div>

YEAH maybe in alberta but i heard other provinces are cheap

Andre
08-09-2008, 11:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yorkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rockarolla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">somedays i just wanna get a plane to winnipeg amnd stay there</div></div>

Me too. </div></div>

Winnipeg! Seriously?
It has to be one of the toughest cities in Canada.
Sub arctic cold in the winter, hot as a hell in the summer.
*The Murder and Violence Capitol of Canada

I hope you don't complain about the crime in our city. lol

shadowjak
08-09-2008, 11:06 AM
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g59/kittycity_2006/flying.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g59/kittycity_2006/flyingfear.jpg

Emergency
Parachute
Manual

Prior to each flight you should check / inspect:
1) Ripcord handle secure in pocket, both pins properly seated in closing loops.
2) Ripcord housing for damage and end tacking secure.
3) All harness webbing and hardware for proper functioning and / or damage.
4) Packing data card to be sure that the parachute is “in date.”
The National Emergency Parachute is manually activated by pulling the ripcord. We recommend having the ripcord handle in sight or in hand when exiting the aircraft.
The ripcord handle is to be firmly gripped, typically with the right hand (the left hand or both hands may be used if necessary). After the handle is removed from the pocket, there is approximately 2” of slack in the ripcord cable to be removed before the pins are pulled. The ripcord is pulled to full arms length with a down-ward stroke for back and chair parachutes and an up-ward stroke for seat parachute. See drawings below.
BACK / CHAIR PARACHUTE SEAT PARACHUTE
The parachute will normally open fully within 3 seconds of activation. If an emergency arises carry out the following steps:
1) Check altitude above ground level.
a) For bailout below 3,000 ft AGL, clear the aircraft and pull ripcord immediately.
b) For bailout from 3,000-10,000 ft AGL, clear aircraft, delay ripcord pull for 5 seconds.
c) For bailout above 10,000 ft AGL, delay to lower altitude before pulling ripcord.
2) Clear aircraft and pull ripcord.
3) Reach up and grasp the rear risers, pull one down to observe turn speed.
4) See next page “PARACHUTE STEERING.”
Emergency Parachute Manual P/N 81101-2P (Revised Dec. 2006)
- 11 -
PARACHUTE STEERING
Once suspended under the parachute canopy, your rate of descent will stabilize at approximately 19 ft. per second with a 190 lb. (86 kg) body weight based on the National Phantom 26' (Part No. 81001-2) or the National Phantom AeroStar 26' (Part No. 81001-20) in your National 425 pack and harness assembly.
Your Parachute is circular in shape after it is fully open. There are three (3) mesh covered drive vents located at the rear of the canopy - see diagram below left. The drive vents make the canopy steerable and create an air speed of 5 mph to 12 mph (depending upon body weight and altitude) in the direction you are facing.
The Parachute can be turned to the right by pulling down the right rear riser 6" to 12", the same applies for a left turn. A rear riser can most effectively be pulled down by placing fingers between suspension lines as they attach to the connector link on the end of the riser. (See diagram above right.) The Parachute will continue turning until the rear riser is released. It takes about 8 - 10 seconds to complete a full 360 degree turn.
Observe wind speed and drift while looking for the best available landing area down wind of your present position. As a general rule, your glide angle is approximately 45 degrees to the horizontal in light winds. Choose a heading to achieve a track across the ground towards the landing area. At 100 feet above ground, turn into the wind and prepare for landing.
- 12 -
LANDING PROCEDURES
To minimize your ground speed at the point of landing, steer the parachute with either rear riser so that you are facing into the wind at 100 feet above ground level.
The normal procedures for assessing wind direction should be used. Flags are excellent wind direction and speed indicators as well as smoke, shadows or ripples on water/grass.
In preparation for landing, lock your legs together from thighs to ankles. Bend knees slightly forward and brace yourself as if you were to jump off a 6.5 ft (2 meters) high platform. Roll your body along your side to absorb landing shock. See picture series below:
HAZARD LANDINGS
WATER LANDING: Release the chest strap as you descend under the parachute, this allows for faster parachute egress after landing. Turn the parachute to face "into the wind" as normal, in case you are dragged by brisk winds it is better to be face up than face down.
Immediately after landing unhook both leg strap snaps (or fully extend the leg straps with TT hardware) and swim out of parachute harness to safety. Always swim up wind and up stream to avoid entanglement. After all the trapped air escapes from the parachute it becomes water logged and will sink!
POWER LINE LANDING: Make all attempts to steer clear of power lines, even if it forces a down wind landing. If unable to avoid power lines, place feet together, turn head to the side and try not to touch more than one line. If suspended above the ground, make sure power has been disconnected before a rescue attempt is made.
- 13 -
HAZARD LANDINGS
(Continued)
TREE LANDING: Make all attempts to steer clear of trees. If a tree landing is unavoidable, place feet and knees together, tuck elbows into stomach and protect your face with both hands while placing chin on chest.
HIGH WIND / DRAGGING: If winds are greater than 10 - 12 mph (10 kts), the Parachute may remain inflated after landing and drag you across the ground. Reach up and grasp one or more of the lower suspension lines of the Parachute and pull down hard, hand over hand, until the canopy is distorted enough to collapse. If you are being dragged uncontrollably across the ground by high winds, roll onto your back. The backpack will provide some protection from abrasion. When wind speed is reduced apply above procedure.

I'm sure you will have a safe and fun trip.