PDA

View Full Version : Candling

Strife
08-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Okay.....I have had a constant problem with my ears for quite a few years now. If I push on my ear from behind, I will lose any and all hearing from that ear. If I sleep on my ear, I lose hearing until the earwax decides to let me hear again. I have been to the emergency and they told me that I just have a bunch of built up earwax that needs to be removed. Here's the catch.....I cant get in to see my doctor and this problem is driving me nuts. The nurse from the emerge told me about a process called "candling". I want this problem solved but I cant get in to see my doctor to have it done. Is there any alternative way that I can get this process done or this problem solved via another method?

Huggy85
08-11-2008, 12:28 PM
You can buy an ear cleaning kit at the drug store. It comes with a little bottle of drops you put in your ear to soften the wax. Then you take the bulb/syringe thingy that comes with the kit and wash out your ears. Works great, I need to do it regularly.

Candling works too but feels really weird in the ear. I don't think doctors do candling; its one of those funky new age holistic things. I prefer the rinse kit from the drugstore.

MaO3
08-11-2008, 12:29 PM
You need to have your ear flushed or short of that Candled. Candling does work, but you'll have to pay for it out of pocket. If you can find an ear bulb at a pharmacy and have someone gently spray water into your ear canal, you maybe able to dislodge the offending wax.

Candling is not a painful process, and I believe that there are people at the Healing Arts Centre on Bruce street that do it.

bluekrissyspikes
08-11-2008, 12:29 PM
my step son's ears get really blocked up and we were told to pour warm baby oil into his ears twice daily. he didn't seem to like it much but it loosened up the gunk in there and helped it come out.

Nihilistic Heathen
08-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Candling doesn't work, and can be dangerous. There are kit's you can get at the pharmacy.

You will have to pay if you get your Dr. to clean your ear's. It's not covered by our health care.

Verotik
08-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Why Ear Candling Is Not a Good Idea
Lisa Roazen, M.D.

"Ear candling," also known as auricular candling or coning, refers to various procedures that involve placing a cone-shaped device in the ear canal and supposedly extracting earwax and other impurities with the help of smoke or a burning wick. The origins of candling are obscure. Ancient Tibet, China, Egypt, the pre-Columbian Americas, and even the mythical city of Atlantis are cited as possible contributors. The procedures supposedly create a low-level vacuum that draws wax and other debris out of the ear canal. Some proponents even claim that impurities are removed from the inner ear, the facial sinuses, or even the brain itself, all of which are somehow connected to the canal

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/candling.html

Strife
08-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks everyone! So we have established that candling either doesnt work or is dangerous. About the ear cleaning kit thingy....how much does it cost approximately and can I find it at any local drug store?

dancingqueen
08-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Usually a doctor can flush your ears with the use of a syrynge I go to the walk in every now and then to do this simply because I don't have a doctor. The reason the nurse did not do this for you is likely because it is so packed in there that they won't be able to get at it. Use a solution of vinigar and water, put a few drops in your ear before bed, and sleep on thwe opposite side so the solution can seep into the wax. The next night switch the side you sleep on. Often I do this and I wake up with a little suprise (chunk of earwax on my pillow and the gift of being able to hear again) if it doesn't work the first time, just repeat the process either it will happen on it's own, or you will be able to see yuor doctor or nurse and they can flush it out.
Nihilistic Heathen I have had this done many times and is covered by OHIP, unless you mean the candeling isn't

vixen
08-11-2008, 01:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Usually a doctor can flush your ears with the use of a syrynge I go to the walk in every now and then to do this simply because I don't have a doctor. The reason the nurse did not do this for you is likely because it is so packed in there that they won't be able to get at it. Use a solution of vinigar and water, put a few drops in your ear before bed, and sleep on thwe opposite side so the solution can seep into the wax. The next night switch the side you sleep on. Often I do this and I wake up with a little suprise (chunk of earwax on my pillow and the gift of being able to hear again) if it doesn't work the first time, just repeat the process either it will happen on it's own, or you will be able to see yuor doctor or nurse and they can flush it out.
Nihilistic Heathen I have had this done many times and is covered by OHIP, unless you mean the candeling isn't </div></div>

my sister in law does the vinagar thing too and says it works well.

Strife
08-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Okay DQ.....so I can just walk into the walk-in clinic and asked for my ears to be flushed. I think that I have a severe enough problem that some websites would describe as "total blockage". This problem resurfaced about 2 years ago when my lovely girlfriend decided to clean my ear with q-tips. It eventually goes away for a while until I either trigger it by itching my ear or if I push behind my ear.

Asparas
08-11-2008, 02:44 PM
I've done both the candling and the water/vinegar (or water/peroxyde works too) but as far as candling goes, I've never had a problem with it, and it seems to be one of those things that half the population say its bad and would never do it, while the other half swears by it. For me, it works, however, if you have a really bad build up of wax, candling won't work, you'll have to either soften up the wax with water/vinegar (which really does work too) or get your ears flushed at the walk-in.

dancingqueen
08-11-2008, 05:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Canadian13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay DQ.....so I can just walk into the walk-in clinic and asked for my ears to be flushed. I think that I have a severe enough problem that some websites would describe as "total blockage". This problem resurfaced about 2 years ago when my lovely girlfriend decided to clean my ear with q-tips. It eventually goes away for a while until I either trigger it by itching my ear or if I push behind my ear. </div></div>

I'd reccomend a day or two of water/ vinigar treatment first, they won't be able to do anything if it is too packed, and then yes, go to the walk-in, and let them know that you think you need your ears flushed.
side notes:
-&gt; For some reason they won't just get a nurse to do it for you, you actually have to wait the 10 gazzillion hours to see a doctor to do it (I don't get it...)
-&gt; and Q-Tips are terrible to use to clean ear wax build up, they should only be used around the rim of your ear cannal. If you have some buildup in the future, just use the water/vinigar mix before it gets really bad and you should have no problems.

Huggy85
08-11-2008, 06:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Canadian13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks everyone! So we have established that candling either doesnt work or is dangerous. About the ear cleaning kit thingy....how much does it cost approximately and can I find it at any local drug store? </div></div>

The kit costs about 8 bucks I think and includes both the bottle of fluid and the tool. I'd use something specifically formulated before I started putting vinegar (acetic acid) into my ears. And it doesn't take a day or two. The whole process takes about 5 minutes per ear....instructions included. Wax ends up in the sink and not on the pillow. Been doing it for years.

chase_me
08-20-2008, 02:47 AM
my doc told my parents to put peroxide in my brothers ear, about a capful, then put a cotton ball in there and it will loosen the gunk