PDA

View Full Version : qualified people only

BigDaddyKewl
08-13-2008, 11:42 AM
i'm trying to find one person that is bondable, and HAS experience and references installing security alarms, CCTV systems, POS systems, Business telephone systems. I "KNOW" of a place that is looking for someone and offering a competitive wage. But whoever they hire MUST have professional experience and hopefully credentials to follow up the application.

If this is you, pm me. (nobody with any physical disability as this is a physically demanding job where back problems or others make it difficult)

The Piper
08-13-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm not 100% positive, but I think this --&gt; <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(nobody with any physical disability as this is a physically demanding job where back problems or others make it difficult)
</div></div> might be considered discriminatory, and as such, not too clever on your part. Like I said though, not positive...

The Piper
08-13-2008, 01:50 PM
I stand corrected. That definitely is discriminatory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">l. EQUAL TREATMENT WITH RESPECT TO EMPLOYMENT

The Ontario Human Rights Code, 1981, S.O. 1981, c. 53, is predicated on the philosophy that employment decisions should be based upon merit rather than extraneous considerations unrelated to job performance. To effect this objective, the Code aims to enforce the principles of equal opportunity with respect to employment.

The Code expressly prohibits discrimination based upon:

sex;
ancestry;
place of origin;
citizenship;
creed;
handicap;
age;
8. marital status;
9. family status;
10. sexual orientation;
11. colour;
12. ethnic origin, and
13. record of offences

</div></div>

You can think to yourself "ok I'm not hiring any meatheads taller than 6'3"", but you can't say it /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/no_no.gif

Jackie B
08-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Yes, BUT you wouldn't hire a guy with no arms to play guitar, you wouldn't hire a deaf guy to be a soundman for your band, and you sure wouldn't hire someone with a back injury to do a physically demanding job. That's all an employer needs is some whiner on staff that calls in sick from pain every other day. It pretty much seems like common sense to me...

The Piper
08-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Unfortunately, whether it makes sense or not doesn't matter. It's the law. Like I said, you can think it, but you sure can't state it.....

Lazlowe
08-13-2008, 03:15 PM
That would come under "merit". If they are not able to perform the job, even with accomodation, they are not qualified.

BigDaddyKewl
08-13-2008, 03:43 PM
It's not discrimination, but at the same time, a business cannot take the risk of someone with an already existing condition, worsening that condition.

Hey, look at Essar Steel, if you can't pass the physical, you don't get in.

C'mon guys, I'm just saying if there is someone out there that is interested in a job like this, knowing that it is very physically demanding, pm me. I'm not here to debate.

ANYONE can bring in a resume, but only qualified applicants will be considered. You do need certifications and be bondable as well.

BigDaddyKewl
08-13-2008, 03:55 PM
And besides, i'm not the employer. Perhaps I should have just reworded that to say, if you have a physical impairment, this job may not be for you. It is physically demanding, requires the full use of two hands. If you currently are in pain due to any issue and do not like that pain and don't want it to worsen, perhaps you should give some consideration to NOT applying. It's not a discrimination issue, but if someone is hiring for a job that is very demanding on the body, then obviously, it doesn't make sense to hire someone that would be on worker's comp within a week. Forget it, I won't help anyone find the job if it's going to be an issue. I'll just let my boss put out the ad

smokey_canada
08-13-2008, 04:49 PM
ah kinda like I wouldn't hire anyone or let anyone do security work and stuff if they have a criminal record and stuff. Kinda the last people I would want doing jobs for me so is that discriminating. Same as if you have a dui and are a mechanic or car installer you can't drive the cars.

dancingqueen
08-14-2008, 01:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigDad****wl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And besides, i'm not the employer. Perhaps I should have just reworded that to say, if you have a physical impairment, this job may not be for you. It is physically demanding, requires the full use of two hands. If you currently are in pain due to any issue and do not like that pain and don't want it to worsen, perhaps you should give some consideration to NOT applying. It's not a discrimination issue, but if someone is hiring for a job that is very demanding on the body, then obviously, it doesn't make sense to hire someone that would be on worker's comp within a week. Forget it, I won't help anyone find the job if it's going to be an issue. I'll just let my boss put out the ad </div></div>

often times in this day and age being PC = being wordy. CYA:)

SusyQ
08-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Either or I think what your doing is a nice jesture. AMEN Jackie B.

STEVO59
09-15-2008, 08:40 AM
I Have To Agree With BigDaddy On This One.I Myself Have A Serious Back Problem,And I Wouldn't Even Consider Applying For The Job,Even If I Did Know About Alarm Systems And Such.I've Seen These People Work, And Anyone With A Physical Disability Would Not Be Capable Of Doing This Type Of Work.I Think By Daddy Saying You Should Be Phyisically Fit, Is Not Of The Beaten Path.Do You Really Think The Employer Would Want To Up His E.I. Premiums,Just To Watch Someone Struggle,Possibly Injuring Themselves,Or Others On The Job.Trying To Pull Wiring Through And Over Trusses Or Whatever Else Is Above Or Below The Ceiling.Beleive It Folks,This Type Of Work Demands A lot Of Climbing Ladders,Hanging Of Trusses,Heights,Constantly Pulling Wires Or Cable,Sometimes Miles Of It. A Very Phyisical And Demanding Job. So If Your'e Hurtin,Do Yourself And The Employer A Favour,Doen't Reply!