PDA

View Full Version : U18 Wins Gold

Super Gram
08-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Need we say anything more about Canadas young players

PIESTANY, Slovakia - After watching his team steamroll its way through the Memorial of Ivan Hlinka tournament, Canadian coach Bill Peters had just one small complaint - he wanted to see more.

The Canadian under-18 team completed its perfect run at the event by beating Russia 6-3 in the gold medal final on Saturday.

"Their play is just getting better and better," said Peters. "If we could stay together for two more weeks, it would be pretty outstanding to watch."

They did more than enough damage in the time they were together.

Canada outscored its opponents 24-10 in four tournament games while outshooting them 177-69. A major key to its success was a balanced attack that saw seven Canadians finish among the top-13 scorers at the event.

"I think it's a special group," said Peters. "When you win with a group, you're always going to remember the guys. These guys have done a wonderful job."

The victory over Russia provided a perfect example of the team's balanced attack.

Taylor Hall, Carter Ashton, Ryan Ellis, Simon Despres, Brayden Schenn and Ryan O'Reilly all scored goals while goaltender Nathan Lieuwen made 10 saves.

Dmitry Orlov, Alexander Burmistrov and Vladimir Tarasenko replied for Russia.

It's the fourth time in five years that a Canadian team has left this tournament as the champion. The future looks pretty bright for this particular age group as Canada also won gold at the world under-18 championship in Russia during the spring.

"Every time you win one, the feeling just keeps getting better and better," said Schenn, one of four players who was on both those Canadian teams.

With the exception of Hall, every player on this squad will be available at next year's NHL draft. Captain Matt Duchene and Schenn are currently projected to be among the top picks while Hall is likely to find himself in a similar position in 2010.

The team came together extremely fast.

Forty players attended a training camp in Calgary two weeks ago

Jack Butler
08-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Sweeeeeet!
Hockey Canada Rules.
Championship form in two weeks?
Of course!

Jack Butler
08-17-2008, 09:44 AM
It's the fourth time in five years that a Canadian team has left this tournament as the champion. The future looks pretty bright for this particular age group as Canada also won gold at the world under-18 championship in Russia during the spring.

Did the Americans send a team?
Great article, but not even an honourable mention for the USA?
Their fans will have to fabricate some result or do some comparison that somehow justify how much they suck.

GenX
08-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Canada is the only country to take this tournament seriously. No one else cares, but Canada sends all it has to this tournament, pretty sure they will win. It helps pump up a people and country that know damn well the game of hockey left them long ago.

I can't express how said it is to watch Canadians try to hold on to something that was never really theirs.

haha
08-17-2008, 01:00 PM
sort of like u and basketball?

GenX
08-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Yeah, our basketball team is really struggling right now /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

Jack Butler
08-17-2008, 02:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W G R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Canada is the only country to take this tournament seriously. No one else cares, but Canada sends all it has to this tournament, pretty sure they will win. It helps pump up a people and country that know damn well the game of hockey left them long ago.

I can't express how said it is to watch Canadians try to hold on to something that was never really theirs. </div></div>

Translation: I can't begin to defend the USA's second rate system!

Jack Butler
08-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Member, the thread is about under 18 hockey.

What did you say.................?

GenX
08-17-2008, 05:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Translation: I can't begin to defend the USA's second rate system! </div></div>

Gold medals in hockey since 1960:

USA 2
Canada 1

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/beerchug.gif

Jack Butler
08-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Canada won a gold medal in Olympic Ice Hockey in the following years;
1920, 1924, 1928, 1932, 1948, 1952, 2002, or 7 times.

USA won a gold medal in Olympic Ice Hockey in the following years;
1960, 1980, or 2 times.

Why pretend...............who's your Daddy?
The Russians have 7 as well, that makes your American system actually third rate....sorry, my bad.

GenX
08-17-2008, 09:45 PM
In the modern age, we have 2, you have <span style='font-size: 26pt'>one</span>

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

Jack Butler
08-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Wow.
You're one simple man!
Nice try.

GenX
08-17-2008, 09:54 PM
/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wavey.gif

Jack Butler
08-17-2008, 09:56 PM
................in flames.

Super Gram
08-20-2008, 12:37 AM
I think the drafting for the next 2 years is pretty good. Lucky that it is for the American teams.

GenX
08-21-2008, 12:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *Super Gram*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the drafting for the next 2 years is pretty good. Lucky that it is for the American teams. </div></div>

What??? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

Jack Butler
08-21-2008, 12:05 AM
I knew what she meant.
What are you having trouble with?

GenX
08-21-2008, 12:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jack Butler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I knew what she meant.

</div></div>

There's a shocker /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

Jack Butler
08-21-2008, 12:10 AM
What are you having trouble with?

GenX
08-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Speaking of Under 18...

" It was another strong effort but the same result for Canada's national women's under-18 team in their three-game series against the United States.

For the second straight game Canada outchanced the Americans but could not convert the opportunities they had, falling 3-2 on Friday night on a goal with less than 30 seconds remaining.

The Canadians have dropped the first two games of the series. The U.S. scored a 4-1 win in the series opener on Wednesday night and will look sweep the series in the finale on Saturday (10 a.m. ET)."

LINK (http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5jAn9Q7tV6qbDSNsJKuKHE6hfrbZA)

http://www.artie.com/patriotic/arg_us_flag.gif

Jack Butler
08-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Your hilarious.
That matters to you?
Stand Tall Soldier Ha, Ha, Ha!
You go girl!!!

GenX
08-24-2008, 07:56 PM
<span style='font-size: 14pt'>*** You are ignoring this user ***</span>

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

haha