PDA

View Full Version : Good spot to pick blueberries?

Christopher2007
08-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct section to put this in... but anyway...

What are some of the best spots to pick blueberries in the Soo? Preferably close to Sault College.

yoda
08-21-2008, 10:48 PM
Marks Bay by the airport

Madmax
08-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Grocery Store up the street from the College... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Christopher2007
08-21-2008, 11:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MadMax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Grocery Store up the street from the College... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

yeah, been purchasing those, but those cost money :P

I can pick up like 30-40$ worth of store blueberries in 1 hour easy.

haha
08-21-2008, 11:44 PM
i dont know about blueberries but there are some great gardens to raid in that area, try tilly road.

kitca
08-22-2008, 12:05 AM
i dont know of any in town?

J*B
08-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Bellevue valley area is usually good for BB's..
Also the Laughing lake road off of the Ranger lake road, but that is quite a drive..

nickolai
08-22-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm not saying this to ruin the experience but there are an AWFUL LOT of bears kicking around this year (too much for the ecosystem to support) and some are starving. If you intend to go blueberry picking bring some sort of "bear repellent".

kitca
08-22-2008, 11:42 AM
braccarius why do you think there are too many beard for the ecosystem to support? where have you heard that they are starving?

J*B
08-22-2008, 11:47 AM
Since they canceled the spring bear hunt there have been many more bears around than usual, I've personally seen ten of them on the the way in driving 20 miles back of mile 67 a couple of months ago.

GRUMPY
08-22-2008, 11:51 AM
You have to remember now that you are going into their home and raiding their gardens.

Christopher2007
08-22-2008, 06:43 PM
do people even grow blueberries in there home gardens? Seems to one of those things thats just better to go pick yourself..

J*B
08-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Some people grow them, but they are much larger berries than the wild variety..

nickolai
08-23-2008, 03:48 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kitca</div><div class="ubbcode-body">braccarius why do you think there are too many beard for the ecosystem to support? where have you heard that they are starving? </div></div>

I have to shovel about 5 pounds of bear [censored] out of my yard every week because I live at the end of peoples road. I continuously have to remove garbage bags from my yard that they have decided to drag through. I have called the police about 9-10 times this year alone.... and its never the same bear. The number of bear in the municipal garbage dump is up to about 100 at dusk and the blueberry patches in Wawa I used to go to are all but closed to the public. (It is simply not worth the risk).

I say we relocate some of them to central park in Toronto or Parliment Hill and see if they think the spring bear hunt is a good idea.

skibunnie64
08-23-2008, 04:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Braccarius</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kitca</div><div class="ubbcode-body">braccarius why do you think there are too many beard for the ecosystem to support? where have you heard that they are starving? </div></div>

I have to shovel about 5 pounds of bear [censored] out of my yard every week because I live at the end of peoples road. I continuously have to remove garbage bags from my yard that they have decided to drag through. I have called the police about 9-10 times this year alone.... and its never the same bear. The number of bear in the municipal garbage dump is up to about 100 at dusk and the blueberry patches in Wawa I used to go to are all but closed to the public. (It is simply not worth the risk).

I say we relocate some of them to central park in Toronto or Parliment Hill and see if they think the spring bear hunt is a good idea. </div></div>

I live on Peoples Rd by the tracks and there is a mamma bear and two cubs hanging around here as well. NOt to mention they already removed a male bear from here earlier this summer. You hear of more and more bears in the city now that is for sure