PDA

View Full Version : wired with wireless

Ultra54
08-23-2008, 12:07 PM
I currently have a wired network throughout my house and recently bought an ipod touch. I bought a wireless router that I was hoping I could just add to one of the available slots off the wired router. Long story short, it didn't work and caused issues where by I had to call bell and get it straightened out. Is there a way to do this?

Madmax
08-23-2008, 12:39 PM
You can piggy back it to the first router and then setup the wireless network and secure the wireless network too.

So it can be done and done easily.

Need any help call me.... sent u a pm

tired-n-cranky
08-23-2008, 04:02 PM
You may have had a DHCP server conflict if you connected the existing router into one of the LAN ports on the new wifi router.

Easiest way to get it up and running is to connect the WAN/Internet port into one of the LAN ports. This keeps your wireless network on a seperate network as well.

Madmax
08-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Still waiting for that call...

Just piggyback it from LAN port to Lan Port .. not LAN to WAN .. and then once piggybacked .. go in second router and disable DHCP . then the router will act like a switch instead.... then you can also setup your wireless like usual with security of course.

Then load up your Ipod and connect using the provided software on it.

Again if ya need any help call me.. i sent ya PM.

mboy67
08-24-2008, 12:24 AM
are both routers the same make if so you will need to change the default IP address of the second one. They both can not use the same Base IP. If you turn off the DHCP of the second router and let it just be a switch with wireless then the main will control the IP's to what is attached to it.

Hans
08-24-2008, 01:26 PM
If your original router is one of those Bell modems, I would have them swap it for a wireless version. It will have wired and wireless and you will have support from Bell for it.
It's easier to have everything in 1 unit, unless you happen to have a large network.

Ultra54
08-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks all for your help and especially Max. I got it working but it isn't perfect. Like mboy said, it is fighting for that ip address. I have to unplug the wireless after booting up and that puts the wired Dlink online then simply plug the Wan into the lan on the wireless and it work...for a while...lol. Plus I cant figure how to get a password on the wireless.

mboy67
08-24-2008, 10:35 PM
plug one of your PC's into the wireless router to get in to the control panel. then turn off DHCP and set the wireless password. that should be all you need to do.

Madmax
08-24-2008, 11:13 PM
NP's Ultra we get it sorted out tomorrow.

Ultra54
08-25-2008, 07:16 AM
Tried to find that DHCP but no luck. Half the links in the setup menu you get when you type in 196....blah blah blah...are dead. The page would come up not found for christs sake.

Madmax
08-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Call me when you get home from work today.

plumcoulee
08-29-2008, 01:59 AM
wired with red bull