PDA

View Full Version : Spoiled children

Macs II
08-29-2008, 12:09 AM
We've all heard stories from our parents about how good we have it compared to when they were a child, and it will most likely go on and on for generations to come.
Are children far too spoiled in this day and age?

Macs II
08-29-2008, 12:12 AM
Most are definitely, we try to give our kids more then what we had growing up and in some cases the kid doesn't appreciate what you are giving them they expect it.

Timbit
08-29-2008, 12:26 AM
uh oh....he is talking in his sleep again.....as long as he doens't interrupt himself, then he should be ok

Simba
08-29-2008, 12:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We've all heard stories from our parents about how good we have it compared to when they were a child, and it will most likely go on and on for generations to come.
Are children far too spoiled in this day and age? </div></div>

yes

Timbit
08-29-2008, 12:27 AM
oh and kids aren't more spoiled nowadays....we just can't beat them into oblivion and teach them manners and proper ettiquette cause they know they can now get away with anything with just a stern talking to....heaven forbid the slap on the wrist is even child abuse *rolls eyes*

Jackie B
08-29-2008, 12:38 AM
/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/beerchug.gif

Timbit
08-29-2008, 12:46 AM
damn...I wish I could see that smiley you have up there jackie...I see a red X.....ugh! stupid router

Jackie B
08-29-2008, 12:47 AM
It's just the cheers guys, Timbit! I agree wholeheartedly!

plumcoulee
08-29-2008, 12:59 AM
do not spoil children but do spoil your pets!

dancingqueen
08-29-2008, 02:03 AM
What kind of responce did you excpect?
I think people get some kind of sick pleasure out of disciplining kids or something...
I notice everyone's kids are perfect angels, yet, there are soooooo many terrible, spoiled little brats out there...
I think we are constantly learning new things about kids and we are finding better and better ways to treat/handle them. So, in order for me to voice my opinion of wether I think kids are getting more and more spoiled, I would have to know your deffinition of spoiled.

bluekrissyspikes
08-29-2008, 02:07 AM
i'd say there's too many spoiled kids out there but i'm not sure if it's worse than when i was a kid.

GreyWolf
08-29-2008, 02:08 AM
In regards to children having more technological toys and junk, so do adults tho too. I know a lot of kids who are happy with a giant box while adults are off buying game consols or whatever latest thing is out.. I think whom ever is living in this age on an average income is spoiled /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

bluekrissyspikes
08-29-2008, 02:18 AM
i think they are spoiled in a way where they get away with so much stuff and some parents choose to just ignore bad behaviour that would have got them a smack thirty years ago and sent to bed with no dinner. i see parents just pretend they don't hear the horrible things that come out of their kids mouth and it makes me wonder what their kids will grow up to be like. as for toys and stuff, i think my kids are spoiled like that because they have a lot of toys but not video games. mostly trucks and little pet shops.

Peety
08-29-2008, 07:08 AM
I am spoiled.
My kids are spoiled.
MY pets are spoiled.
In a good way

Lollypop
08-29-2008, 08:43 AM
I'll admit my kids are spoiled. They are 20 and 17, all the hugs, snuggles and kisses they want, and always an open ear.
As far as material things, they work and pay for what they want, things they need I am willing to provide for.
We are leaving today to bring my son to univ. I wanted to buy him a laptop for school, he opted to take my 3 year old HP. So, I bought myself a new laptop. Do not judge all kids by some of the wayward ones you happen to see.

MaO3
08-29-2008, 08:52 AM
I agree with lollypop 100%. I've always worked hard to provide my kids with some extras, but they always worked (helping around the house etc) and never expected things. Over the years that's paid off in spades. They are all very responsible and know the value of a dollar.

My oldest bought his first snowmachine at 16 on his own, my middle and youngest were on 15, and 14. They saved thier money and bought it themselves.

I again think that it comes down to parental involvement. Parents who just hand the kid 20 or 40 bucks so they take off for the evening, or buy the kids anything that they want without any kind of justification or even a repayment arrangement are simply asking for trouble.

Anapeg
08-29-2008, 10:24 AM
DQ, one of us is loosing focus and I not sure who. You seem to be patting the kid on the head and smacking the bottom at the same time. You allude to abuse on one hand then reiterate the lack of disciplined kids. Having your cake and eating it too?
Do I think kids are spoiled today, undoubtedly if that means having/receiving excess. Is that a bad thing? That is a judgement call and we will never agree on that point. To receive something for nothing makes the object worthless causing a person to want/expect more. Working toward a goal or receiving a reward builds character. Assuming birthdays, Christmas and such aside.

sage
08-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Why do people think disciplining means hitting???? WTF?

Discipling starts from the time they are born - learning to walk, boundaries,limits,providing structure,mutual respect,affection,communication and following through on consequences.
Disciplining is not hitting to make them understand or make them see things YOUR way.Your an idiot if you hit your kids to get them to listen...stoopid.
Now wonder kids these days have no self control if a parent can't even control their own emotions.

newman
08-29-2008, 12:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most are definitely, we try to give our kids more then what we had growing up and in some cases the kid doesn't appreciate what you are giving them they expect it. </div></div>

You're starting to answer your own questions now?

dancingqueen
08-29-2008, 12:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anapeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> DQ, one of us is loosing focus and I not sure who. You seem to be patting the kid on the head and smacking the bottom at the same time. You allude to abuse on one hand then reiterate the lack of disciplined kids. Having your cake and eating it too?
</div></div>

Not sure what yuor getting at here

adigirl
08-29-2008, 01:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GreyWolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In regards to children having more technological toys and junk, so do adults tho too. I know a lot of kids who are happy with a giant box while adults are off buying game consols or whatever latest thing is out.. I think whom ever is living in this age on an average income is spoiled /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

Very good point. I'm materialistic. I always have been. One of the dangers is teaching my kids to be that way by example. One of my own faults I have to work on.

Anapeg
08-29-2008, 01:21 PM
DQ; lines two and three of your original post either contradict one another or I'm interpreting them improperly. If it's my error I apologize, I tend to be a tad thick at times.

plumcoulee
08-29-2008, 01:25 PM
im gettin' the vibes that ppl that werent spoiled arer just jealous of the ones that maybe are??

dancingqueen
08-29-2008, 01:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anapeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DQ; lines two and three of your original post either contradict one another or I'm interpreting them improperly. If it's my error I apologize, I tend to be a tad thick at times. </div></div>

sorry, I was being sarcastic with the 3rd line. Just outlining how strange it is that everyone thinks their children are well behaved and earn every single thread of clothes on their back, yet these people seem to think that every other child in the world are terrible, spoiled little monsters lurking in every shadow waiting for an opertunity to cause harm or damage.

No need to apologize /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

dancingqueen
08-29-2008, 01:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mokita-pupita</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im gettin' the vibes that ppl that werent spoiled arer just jealous of the ones that maybe are?? </div></div>

You may be a pest Mokita, but more often than not you are right...

Anapeg
08-29-2008, 02:25 PM
While I do believe in the laying on of hands with children if simple verbal reprimands aren't sufficient that makes me neither an idiot nor "stoopid" usually spelled stupid. It serves solely to be wrong in your esteemed estimation. I thought people had stopped name calling in grade school, apparently I was mistaken. It is well within the confines of Canadian law to physically discipline your child should the need arise. Therefore I am not contravening the laws of the land, only your personal sensibilities. As for being spoiled or not I believe you assume to much to think you know how I was raised so assumptions aside, ask me. Please do not read more into this than implied, I will neither condone nor tolerate beating, berating or otherwise abusing a child. This has been so in my family for at least the last four generations and to this point no serial killers or abusers of small animals. We all remain married, young and old to the original spouses and have not a one been incarcerated. Beat that record with a "time out" if you can.

dancingqueen
08-29-2008, 02:36 PM
I don't recall calling you any names Anapeg.

Anapeg
08-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Not you sir, Scorpio.

bluekrissyspikes
08-29-2008, 05:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lollypop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll admit my kids are spoiled. They are 20 and 17, all the hugs, snuggles and kisses they want, and always an open ear.
As far as material things, they work and pay for what they want, things they need I am willing to provide for.
</div></div>

that not spoiling them lollypop. that's being a good parent. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

A*lil*Loopy
08-29-2008, 07:28 PM
My son has been pretty sheltered and a bit spoiled. I've always had an open ear and an open mind so there was always a lot of communication going on. We have children that are growing up as the "microwave" generation, everything is instant, no patience. It's our own fault as we develop better technology that works faster and provides more of whatever we want.

Discipline for each parent means something different and even varies child to child. Most of us will never agree on how best to discipline our children, hopefully we all do our very best.

My son decided three days ago that he would like to attend college this fall, he was supposed to wait a year. We had to pull the money from somewhere else and didn't dare deny him the opportunity. However, we dumped him at home after he insisted on going shopping and getting grumpy because we were now officially, totally broke. That makes me wonder if he's a bit more spoiled than I originally thought.

The upside is that when he's done his two years of college, I can toss him out because he'll be able to get a job in the field of his choice. I keep looking at the upside. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Barry Morris
08-29-2008, 07:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackie B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's just the cheers guys, Timbit! I agree wholeheartedly! </div></div>

Do you?? I don't. Not mine. Or my grandkids.

Not yours either I expect, Jackie.

Barry Morris
08-29-2008, 07:34 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scorpio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do people think disciplining means hitting???? WTF?

Discipling starts from the time they are born - learning to walk, boundaries,limits,providing structure,mutual respect,affection,communication and following through on consequences.
Disciplining is not hitting to make them understand or make them see things YOUR way.Your an idiot if you hit your kids to get them to listen...stoopid.
Now wonder kids these days have no self control if a parent can't even control their own emotions. </div></div>

Hitting CAN be part of discipline. So long as the parent is ALSO acting in a discplined manner.

bluekrissyspikes
08-29-2008, 07:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scorpio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do people think disciplining means hitting???? WTF?

Now wonder kids these days have no self control if a parent can't even control their own emotions. </div></div>

Hitting CAN be part of discipline. So long as the parent is ALSO acting in a discplined manner. </div></div>

i agree and sometimes it's needed. sometimes it's the only thing that will get their attention especially if the behaviour is serious and keeps coming up again and again. time out is not always enough, especially if the child doesn't have the attention span to even remember why they are on a time out after twenty seconds. there is a huge difference between giving a little smack to discipline them for their own good and hitting out of anger and frustration.

Barney Rubble
08-29-2008, 08:12 PM
i heard that if you quick freeze them, followed with unthawing them and then let the kids sit on the shelf for 3-4 days, they will spoil quickly!
/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

plumcoulee
08-29-2008, 08:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mokita-pupita</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im gettin' the vibes that ppl that werent spoiled arer just jealous of the ones that maybe are?? </div></div>

You may be a pest Mokita, but more often than not you are right... </div></div>

someone has brains /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smokin.gif

Giggle Squirt
08-29-2008, 09:07 PM
my kids are not spoiled by material things. But they do get all the love and attentin they deserve. My son does help me with things like drying dishes or playing with his brother so I can go in the other room and sweep or something. He is starting to get an allowence and he is already saving up to buy me a coffee!!!!

plumcoulee
08-29-2008, 09:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Man eater!!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my kids are not spoiled by material things. But they do get all the love and attentin they deserve. My son does help me with things like drying dishes or playing with his brother so I can go in the other room and sweep or something. He is starting to get an allowence and he is already saving up to buy me a coffee!!!! </div></div>

whoa /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

Macs II
08-29-2008, 09:18 PM
mokita is spoiled

plumcoulee
08-30-2008, 05:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mokita is spoiled </div></div>

yeah so what maybe i am in some ways but at least i appreciate it /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

plumcoulee
08-30-2008, 05:45 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We've all heard stories from our parents about how good we have it compared to when they were a child, and it will most likely go on and on for generations to come.

ummm back then they had it much better job wise, sorry
they just got jobs alot easier

plumcoulee
08-30-2008, 05:50 AM

sniff sniff i smell some jealousy here yeah??

Super Gram
08-30-2008, 07:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mokita</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mokita is spoiled </div></div>

yeah so what maybe i am in some ways but at least i appreciate it /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

I would appreciate it too, if I could stay home all day and do nothing

Chaotic Chick
08-30-2008, 09:41 AM
So would I, Super Gram. But for now, it is college and work. I am teaching my own 4 children that you can't get anything for free.

plumcoulee
08-30-2008, 07:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *Super Gram*</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mokita</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mokita is spoiled </div></div>

yeah so what maybe i am in some ways but at least i appreciate it /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

I would appreciate it too, if I could stay home all day and do nothing </div></div>

excuse me? i dont do "nothing" and at least its not for the sake of trying cause i try real well, its my surroundings thats the problem /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

plumcoulee
08-30-2008, 07:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chaotic Chick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So would I, Super Gram. But for now, it is college and work. I am teaching my own 4 children that you can't get anything for free. </div></div>

dont assume i get things for free now /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/no_no.gif

Macs II
08-30-2008, 07:29 PM
mokita is in hot water again LOL

plumcoulee
08-30-2008, 07:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mokita is in hot water again LOL </div></div>

when aren't i? lol

plumcoulee
08-30-2008, 07:56 PM
http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=KmeYOHmhxAk

Macs II
08-30-2008, 08:32 PM
for moooochi (http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=MqHkuHy39eA)

plumcoulee
08-30-2008, 08:34 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> for moooochi (http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=MqHkuHy39eA) </div></div>

hahahahahaahhaah

plumcoulee
08-30-2008, 08:42 PM
for Macs: http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXWo6jXmRO8

Macs II
08-30-2008, 09:02 PM
My reply to moochie (http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=OguAWl6sAWo&feature=related)

Babzz
08-30-2008, 09:05 PM
the you tube war is on.. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

looking forward to the next post /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

plumcoulee
08-30-2008, 09:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My reply to moochie (http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=OguAWl6sAWo&feature=related) </div></div>

bad bad bad /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/no_no.gif

plumcoulee
08-30-2008, 09:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My reply to moochie (http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=OguAWl6sAWo&feature=related) </div></div>

maybe thats why no girls like me? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/idea.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

Macs II
08-30-2008, 09:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mokita</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My reply to moochie (http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=OguAWl6sAWo&feature=related) </div></div>

maybe thats why no girls like me? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/idea.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif </div></div>

There is still hope (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knAlUXKAyDk)

plumcoulee
08-30-2008, 09:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mokita</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My reply to moochie (http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=OguAWl6sAWo&feature=related) </div></div>

maybe thats why no girls like me? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/idea.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif </div></div>

There is still hope (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knAlUXKAyDk) </div></div>

lol funny thing tho women like bad boys (criminals) more then losers (people that dont do anything) thats kinda odd

Macs II
08-30-2008, 09:22 PM
women like men who are in control at least the pretty ones do...others just lie that they don't but secretly they wish they had a man who wasn't so wishy washy

The Berean
08-30-2008, 09:23 PM
neither one of you is married right?

plumcoulee
08-30-2008, 09:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">women like men who are in control at least the pretty ones do...others just lie that they don't but secretly they wish they had a man who wasn't so wishy washy </div></div>

in control? in control of what though even though u are not gettin anywhere?? thats kinda pointless!

plumcoulee
08-30-2008, 09:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ConKat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">neither one of you is married right? </div></div>

no