PDA

View Full Version : Auto repair shops

Huggy85
08-30-2008, 10:09 AM
I hope I can get a couple answers before this gets moved;

I'm trying to find someone that can do a little work for me today. My engine light is staying on and based on the OBD code that comes up on the odometer, the Cam Shaft position sensor is likely defective. Not a big job. But C. Tire is booked and I'm out of town next week and would like to get this fixed before I go.

Can anyone recommend any good shops that are open today?

KDawg
08-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Try Classic Automotive on John Street. They're normally open 7 days per week.

Huggy85
08-30-2008, 10:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KDawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try Classic Automotive on John Street. They're normally open 7 days per week. </div></div>

I'll call them, thanks

Huggy85
08-30-2008, 10:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huggy85</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KDawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try Classic Automotive on John Street. They're normally open 7 days per week. </div></div>

I'll call them, thanks </div></div>

Tried...too busy for me today.

Any others?

Super Gram
08-30-2008, 10:42 AM
What about Walmart?

Huggy85
08-30-2008, 10:46 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *Super Gram*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about Walmart? </div></div>

Thanks, but called them and they only do oil and tire changes

someguy
08-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Try Speedy, midas, that new place on GNR where midas was or some of the truck repair shops in town.

someguy
08-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Theres also a guy on Second Line west across from the esquire. Last nme is Nichol but I forget his first name. You can just stop by there and he is always there. Little green house lots of cars in the yard and the house is for sale listed with Remax.

Huggy85
08-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Going to Midas.....thanks

Huggy85
08-30-2008, 12:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huggy85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Going to Midas.....thanks </div></div>

Midas wants 40 bucks for diagnostics. I don't need that, I just need a repair. And they won't do a repair unless you spend $40 on a diagnosis first.

So if I'm right, I've thrown away $40. Sounds too much like I'm being scammed, I'll wait for now.

Least they could do is drop the $40 charge if their diagnosis is the same as mine.

deanoo28
08-30-2008, 02:53 PM
If you can diagnos it yourself , then change the parts yourself.

Barry Morris
08-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Huggy, if the guys uses a tool costing hundreds or even thousand of dollars, and his time, to figure out what's wrong with your car, then you should be prepared to pay him.

He might knock off the diagnosis if it's a huge bill. Or he might not.

Or he could just go ahead and change the part you tell him to.

If it works you're cool. If it doesn't, you've blown the labour to install the part, and the cost of the part.

Not to mention you are STILL going to pay for that diagnosis!!!

Huggy85
08-30-2008, 09:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deanoo28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can diagnos it yourself , then change the parts yourself. </div></div>

Easier said than done. I'm pretty much a car Klutz. especially since my hand injury.

GRUMPY
08-31-2008, 04:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huggy85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[quote=Huggy85] Sounds too much like I'm being scammed </div></div>

So they are to do it for free? Sounds like you want to scam them.Their time is of value to them plus the cost of the machine.

Huggy85
08-31-2008, 11:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huggy85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[quote=Huggy85] Sounds too much like I'm being scammed </div></div>

So they are to do it for free? Sounds like you want to scam them.Their time is of value to them plus the cost of the machine. </div></div>

Fact is, the on board computer told me what the problem is. So all I want to do is get the part changed. Not trying to scam anyone, I'll be more than happy to pay for the mechanic's time. I just don't want to pay for a diagnostic I don't need.

Barry Morris
08-31-2008, 11:30 PM
So take it in and tell him exactly what you want. He should do it, with a disclaimer on the work order.

Huggy85
08-31-2008, 11:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So take it in and tell him exactly what you want. He should do it, with a disclaimer on the work order. </div></div>

That's my point, they said they won't do a repair without doing the diagnostic.

GRUMPY
08-31-2008, 11:58 PM
Try JC's at the corner of Farwell and Wallace Terraces.

Barry Morris
09-01-2008, 02:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huggy85</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So take it in and tell him exactly what you want. He should do it, with a disclaimer on the work order. </div></div>

That's my point, they said they won't do a repair without doing the diagnostic. </div></div>

He knows, as I do from working in the trade, that word would get around if what YOU asked him to do DIDN'T work.

I'd pay to protect my reputation. Wouldn't you??

Two more things I learned in 20 years in the trade.

Every repair shop loses about 15 percent of its customers every years. Statistical fact.

And sometimes a customer leaves thinking you are a crook. And there's not a thing you can do about it.

Huggy85
09-01-2008, 03:42 PM
He's paying in losing me as a customer. The way I see it, the diagnostic has already been done and I'm the one taking the risk. If my recommendation doesn't fix it, he gets to find out and fix it after, and then his diagnostic will be fully justified.

Huggy85
09-06-2008, 10:49 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huggy85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope I can get a couple answers before this gets moved;

I'm trying to find someone that can do a little work for me today. My engine light is staying on and based on the OBD code that comes up on the odometer, the Cam Shaft position sensor is likely defective. Not a big job. But C. Tire is booked and I'm out of town next week and would like to get this fixed before I go.

Can anyone recommend any good shops that are open today? </div></div>

Car is repaired, my diagnosis (provided by the car's computer) was correct, no 40 dollar diagnostic was needed.

Thanks mboy for your help.