PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome is here... and it's good

Koss
09-02-2008, 05:09 PM
http://www.google.com/chrome?open

to read the first comic book written about an internet browser go here: http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/

This is a really nifty browser that just takes the FF experience to a whole new level. Now the question is, how much info do you want Google to know about your browsing history?

Koss
09-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Oh boy. It is fast and much less memory leak then even FF3!

I like it alot.

hemi_69
09-02-2008, 08:06 PM
it's crazy fast, isnt doing so well with a few sites but obviously that will come after time...currently i love it

Quick Slice
09-02-2008, 08:17 PM
yeah, it's not bad, I like it

Madmax
09-02-2008, 08:25 PM
I don't like it at all and IE is just as fast at caching large pictured pages.

Strife
09-03-2008, 12:23 AM
I am lovin this. Its super fast.

DeleteAccout
09-03-2008, 05:13 AM
Notice how max is ALWAYS the first one to say the EXACT opposite of everyone else. It's almost as if hes striving to be different. Kinda like a 14 year old would ... I wonder if MadMax is a child? ... hmmmm

Madmax
09-03-2008, 07:40 AM
Hey Tormented its true that IE is just as fast and FF is slow compared to this google browser.

If you load up the sale page say from Ncix on both browsers it IE is just as fast, now maybe on a slower PC it may appear google browser is faster, but i don't know as i am not on a celeron pc.

Firefox is fast, but slower then IE from what i can tell and it is slower then this google browser from what i can tell on my PC.

The google browser even though its beta also lacks a drop down box to websites you already been too in which both IE and FF have this option. Right now it means you have to type in every website all over again, but it does however like all browsers shows the website if previously typed in as your typing it again.

So test it out some more and you will see what i mean IE is just as fast at loading such a large PICTURE page and IE caches it as well, which in meaning you can go off to say the main website page and back within a snap of your fingers without it all loading up again. The google browser and FF do the samething as well.

So i don't it being any faster then IE, but it is faster then FF.

DoubleXL
09-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Dude, when you open a new tab it places the sites you visit right there. It is even categorized by the amount you visit that site.

Madmax
09-03-2008, 08:49 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AHDoubleXL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude, when you open a new tab it places the sites you visit right there. It is even categorized by the amount you visit that site.</div></div>

Ah yes i actually was just going to post that info as i noticed that its right there as you browse per site it puts the ones you most frequent on the main page of the browser.

That is a cool feature, but so what all other browsers ahve the drop down tab and is listed by last site you visted.

The only thing bad about that feature in googles browser is when you surf, you can't go back to that main page where it is all categorized. So you have to click in the History Link to see where you have broswed and thats not a good feature.

The only way to see it again is if you click on the plus sign for a new tab Or close browser and open it again, which is a cool idea, but again not needed as many browers have that drop down tab like IE and FF.

Why should be made to open a new tab each time to see this cool idea. If you want to use existing page ... you have to type the address again or partially .. which again all other browsers already have that feature as well.

Madmax
09-03-2008, 09:04 AM
One cool feature it does have that i like is the fact when your typing in a new address that you never have went to yet. It has it already in the address drop down as your typing it, but if your typing say example http://www.tigertdirect .. it will show you .com but no choice for .ca ... so it is apparent they have only included 80% of .com address with in the broswers automatic search feature as your typing.

Also you would need to know of course in many cases most of the name of the website for it to show up in the automatic browser search.

All google did is intergrate google search feature into the address bar as ppl are typing and that feature is cool.

If they made a drop down BOX feature to where you have been, like IE and FF has. Then that would be more user friendly then clicking on a new tab each time or having to do a tweo step process of looking up your history.

Koss
09-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Actually under tools-&gt;options-&gt;homepage: you can choose to have a homepage button on the browser and the new tab page (with your most visited pages) can be your homepage (or you can choose another if you wish).

I'm still not 100% sold; the experience is really stripped down compared to my FF usage. But that's not a bad thing. It's fast and elegant, kind of like gmail is and that took me awhile to get used to. Of course, I have a few good add ons on Firefox that ads functionality. I'm sure add ons will be available soon for Chrome.

Madmax
09-03-2008, 09:18 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Koss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually under tools-&gt;options-&gt;homepage: you can choose to have a homepage button on the browser and the new tab page (with your most visited pages) can be your homepage (or you can choose another if you wish).
</div></div>

Well ok now those Features should already be implemented already as that again is not user friendly.

The new Tab is already there by default (the plus sign at top of browser), but not homepage.

Still a person has to A: open new Tab or B: go to homepage or C: type in address bar and hope to get the name partially right or if its a previous site visted it should show up on drop list, only if you type it right.

Again not so a AWESOME broswer, but if tweaked right it may become more useful then FF and IE.

As it stands now and i know its only Beta i would rank it a 8/10 right now.

Koss
09-03-2008, 12:13 PM
I found this interesting tidbit from Chrome's EULA on Reddit.com

http://i37.tinypic.com/2elcyuh.jpg

This along with no Adblock or Noscript features right now ( or even in the future considering Google is an advertising company and they want people to see the ads they sell) has convinced me to go back to FF3. Though FF is more cluttered, I fell more comfortable knowing that I have an address bar and a google search bar. After all I know when I need to search and I know when I need to enter an address. I also like the easier access to my bookmarks, my addons and shortcut keys.

On top of that, certain internal addresses used with programs at work don't work on Chrome.

Chrome is a nice browser, and it's open source. I'm sure the Mozilla team are taking careful notes for the FF4 release.

Hans
09-03-2008, 05:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MadMax</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AHDoubleXL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude, when you open a new tab it places the sites you visit right there. It is even categorized by the amount you visit that site.</div></div>

Ah yes i actually was just going to post that info as i noticed that its right there as you browse per site it puts the ones you most frequent on the main page of the browser.

That is a cool feature, but so what all other browsers ahve the drop down tab and is listed by last site you visted.

The only thing bad about that feature in googles browser is when you surf, you can't go back to that main page where it is all categorized. So you have to click in the History Link to see where you have broswed and thats not a good feature.

The only way to see it again is if you click on the plus sign for a new tab Or close browser and open it again, which is a cool idea, but again not needed as many browers have that drop down tab like IE and FF.

Why should be made to open a new tab each time to see this cool idea. If you want to use existing page ... you have to type the address again or partially .. which again all other browsers already have that feature as well.

</div></div>

There's a button on the right top corner called "other bookmarks". This is where all your bookmarks are stored in Chrome...

Hans
09-03-2008, 05:24 PM
What I do like is that it imports all your user names and passwords from sites you have saved in Firefox.
It allows you to see each site, user name, and a button to even show you the saved password.
This is a very handy feature for someone like me, who has multiple user names and passwords for various boards and sites.

AmdWolfman
09-04-2008, 12:22 PM
i love my firefox, have never had a problem yet outta thousands of uses.

starbuck
09-04-2008, 12:23 PM
i still stick with IE

Super Gram
09-05-2008, 11:51 AM
I will stick the firefox for now.

Madmax
09-05-2008, 12:10 PM
You ppl need to go and read this too.

http://www.soonet.ca/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=668135&page=1#Post668135

Strife
09-05-2008, 01:08 PM
What do you mean by.....you people? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

Madmax
09-05-2008, 01:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Canadian13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you mean by.....you people? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif</div></div>

All of you that want to know... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif