PDA

View Full Version : parental control

intuit
09-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Is there a way to shut off the internet at a certain time. Without getting out of bed. Should I call shaw. Is there a program you can buy. Anything in system control, The misses and I work very early in the am and are in bed early at night. The wonderful teenager has been ( at times) going beyond her allowed time. Just thought I would ask this question.

Madmax
09-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Umm why just not password the PC (so teen can't get on) and shut it down before you and the misses go to bed?

BFLPE
09-05-2008, 04:56 PM
If you are running vista there are parental controls you can use to set the times a user can go online.

If you have a router it may have controls to limit the times as well.

If neither of those work for you shaw will provide shaw secure to you and you can use what they call time lock to limit internet activity to specific times.

intuit
09-06-2008, 08:58 AM
thanks, tiny tim....we have a router and we have shaw secure..guess I will look for time block.

intuit
09-06-2008, 04:19 PM
upon calling shaw, I didn't have the version with parental control. so I uninstalled and reinstalled the correct version...wow....now have parental control for time block...awesome...haha..boy is she going to be supprised tonight...lol...thanks again for the suggestion.

cheers.

Koss
09-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Not trying to pry into your business, and maybe you already have done this, but would it be more mature of you as a parent to discuss you concerns with your teenager first? Also, parental controls will only go so far with teenagers nowadays. They'll probably be hacked in a day.

intuit
09-10-2008, 06:43 AM
If , per chance, your are a parent of a teenager then you already know they will try and push their limits. We have had many discussions about computer time, phone time , curfew etc. Although, when we are in bed,9:30 pm, we don't know if she is off the computer at her curfew time. We have heard the keyboard a few times after her curfew, that is why we decided to do this, and its working great, she knows she has a timer. lol. I would rather do this then to warn and ground,...warn again and ground again...

Strife
09-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Teenagers will always push their limits until they have full control over the situation. It is built into them and some even retain that when they grow older. Having parental controls is a great idea although not 100% fool proof. The only fool proof way is to disconnect the modem, but again, the curfew time is later than when you go to bed.

Babzz
09-10-2008, 10:27 AM
I am dealing with this now.. He pushes and pushes me to the edge these days.. Very hard to deal with at times

intuit
09-10-2008, 01:16 PM
exactly my point, don't get me wrong, I have a teen who does not do drugs, or smoke/drink...she is a straight A student. Although, at times, we have to implement other measures to ensure she is in a save environment. This just happens to be one of them. We all were teenagers once lol, and thanks for everybody's imput...and yes even you Mac's lol