PDA

View Full Version : Single purchase turns into major upgrade.

Miles From Nowhere
09-16-2008, 04:06 PM
I decided last weekend to bite the bullet and make a purchase that I had been wanting to make for some time. I bought an LG Multi Blue (Blue-Ray/HDDVD) Burner which ran almost $300. It was almost an impulse purchase, I neglected to look at system requirements. I normally check these things out, I just assumed that it would be as compatible as a DVD Rewriter. My specs where close to the requirements, but just not good enough. Playback of an HDDVD was a bit choppy and slightly "dreamy". It turns out that my Pentium D 2.8 GHZ with an Nvidia 7800 GT just didn't cut it. Minimum requirements called for a Core Duo 3.2 GHZ. To make a long story short, I decided to build my next system. I do not game at all, so my only concern was for flawless Blue Ray playback and a dual monitor connection to my 62" Hitachi. On the way are:

EVGA Nforce 750I LGA775 Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16 GHZ easily overclocked to 4 GHZ
EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GT
OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 4GB RAM
30 Ft DVI-HDMI Cable
Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD

$900 before taxes and shipping.

Madmax
09-16-2008, 06:40 PM
I would have just bought a PS3 for Blue-Ray support ... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Which by the way i will be doing at some point in time soon.

My next upgrade will be a 24 inch monitor and or another 4850 video card, but the card can wait.

I was thnking about blue-ray dvd player for PC and no doubt my build is beyond the requirements for it, but i figure for 300-500.00 range i may as well get a gaming console and blue-ray support all in one and still be able to play normal dvd's as well, plus i can hook it up to my TV and play HDTV .. so it is a better way to go in my opinion.

That 62' TV you getting will be awesome for HD viewing /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Oh as for software many recommend powerDVD the top one in its class i think is premium or ultimate .. i forget as i ahve not used it for a few years as no need for it anymore, but soon i will need it again, but either way go get it as it is GOOD and allows for blue-ray support and HDCP support.

Miles From Nowhere
09-17-2008, 07:40 AM
I've had the 62" Hitachi for over a year now. Up until now, I had the dualview set up through component cables. I'm finally getting around to upgrading my connection to HDMI. Powerdvd Ultra came with the drive, so that's what I am using, however, it greys out the secondary monitor option if it doesn't detect a digital connection to the tv and since it's component right now, it's only analog. I'm looking forward to finally getting it set up the way it should be set up. I briefly pondered the Xbox 360 or PS3 but since I'm not a gamer, I figured I'd rather get the Blue Ray writer instead.

filthy
09-17-2008, 11:20 AM
You can't burn Blu-ray on a PS3 Maxwell Smart...

As for your build, you should be very happy, I have that mobo ( I'm asssuming it's the FTW edition) and with that CPU you have the potential for some great overclocking without raising temps or volts much at all. The video is good but in my opinion needs aftermarket cooling or it will cook out sooner or later.

Some thing cheap like an Accelero S1 Rev 2 with a fan.

Madmax
09-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Hey Filth i never said anything about burning blue-Ray now did i ??? ... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

You can however (if you chose to burn blue-ray movies or record HD movies) buy a blue-ray burner (which has a Hard-Drive in it too) that can be hooked up to the TV, just like a normal TV dvd player does.

Miles From Nowhere
09-17-2008, 03:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Filthy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The video is good but in my opinion needs aftermarket cooling or it will cook out sooner or later.

</div></div>

When I bought my 7800GT, they wanted my first born but I was able to talk them into a cash arrangement of over $400 (they had JUST come out and were one of the best cards on the market). About 4 months later I was ordering an aftermarket cooler when the stock cooler began to squeal. I was hoping that 3 years later, the technology would exist for these manufacturers to install "quality" stock coolers. I suppose it would be a good idea to save the trouble later and just throw an aftermarket cooler on right from the get-go.

filthy
09-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Hey Maxi I didn't ask you to tell me what a blu-ray burner can do...

You weren't, once again, considering all the aspects before posting.

I'm sure he wanted that feature as just a blu-ray player costs a lot less.

GirlNextDoor
09-17-2008, 03:50 PM
even my 8800 GT which has a nice zalman cooler on it which came stock still heats up pretty good once i get going in a game for a while. not gonna fall for the paying an absurd amount of money for an optical drive ever again lol. i got my lightscribe blah blah sata dvd burner for 30$, and to think a couple of years ago they were selling for 100$