PDA

View Full Version : Apples-Apples-Apples

Bufford
09-23-2008, 03:01 PM
This is the first fall we have been here at our new home and the apple trees are loaded with apples, Iíve put down applesauce, apple butter, and some for making pies. Do you have any ideas or recipes for other ways to preserve them?

houlegan
09-23-2008, 03:09 PM
i love apples

heres some:

http://www.pastrywiz.com/archive/category/apple.htm

A*lil*Loopy
09-23-2008, 03:57 PM
What about apple cinnamon rings? Then with the left over juice, make jelly.
If you need a recipe for the cinnamon rings, let me know and I'll dig one out for you. By the way, they are fantastic with chops or ice cream or scrambled eggs, etc. I'm going to be doing some as soon as I can find some Cortlands. They are fine with Spys too but this time I wanted something different.

EyelashExtensions
09-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Apple butter??? That sounds yummy! Apple crisp is yummy too

Bufford
09-24-2008, 05:18 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A*lil*Loopy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about apple cinnamon rings? Then with the left over juice, make jelly.
If you need a recipe for the cinnamon rings, let me know and I'll dig one out for you. By the way, they are fantastic with chops or ice cream or scrambled eggs, etc. I'm going to be doing some as soon as I can find some Cortlands. They are fine with Spys too but this time I wanted something different. </div></div>

the apple rings sound interesting, Yes I would like to have the recipe.

sereenie
09-24-2008, 11:44 PM
omg .. sounds soooo gooooddd

sereenie
09-24-2008, 11:48 PM
http://ark.com/~squeeze/7E-food.html

lol its a apple website , maybe u can find osmething there to use ur delicious apples.

A*lil*Loopy
09-25-2008, 10:55 AM
I'll post the recipe tomorrow, it's in one of my much older cookbooks. Sorry I forgot to check in before I left last night.

But to start you will need cinnamon heart candies which are usually available at bulk stores.

A*lil*Loopy
09-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Preserved Cinnamon Apple Rings (taken from an old Double Day cookbook)

1 pint boiling water
1 cup red cinnamon candies
8 medium size tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/2" thick
4 cups sugar

Wash and sterilize 2 (1-pint) jars and their closures, set on a baking sheet in a 250 F oven, and keep hot until needed. Mix water and candies in a large, heavy saucepan, stirring until candies dissolve; add apples, cover, and simmer 10 minutes until transparent. Pack apples into jars and set, uncovered, in oven.

Add sugar to saucepan and boil, uncovered, 3 miutes. Pour syrup over apples, filling jars to within 1/4" of tops. Wipe rims, seal, and process in a hot water bath for 20 minutes. Remove jars and secure seals if necessary. Cool, check seals, label and store in a cool, dark, dry place.

BIG NOTE**** I don't do it quite that way, I actually cook the sugar in before I add the apples so I can just scoop out the apples and then top up with syrup. You would have to decide just how many apples you want to use and keep adjusting the mix. I also don't do the hot water bath, I just put them down as I would any jellies or jams.

When I'm finished with all the apples, since I like do do at least a few batches and using the same syrup (one right after the other) then I use the remainder of the syrup to make jelly. (you may need to add a couple tablespoons of lemon juice for the jelly) Tastes incredible and nothing is wasted.

Good luck to anyone who wants to try it. I do recommend using firm apples, Northern Spies work as well as Cortlands, or Jona Gold too.

Bufford
09-28-2008, 08:05 AM
Thanks, going to try it