PDA

View Full Version : need help stripping!!!!

Giggle Squirt
09-28-2008, 12:31 AM
I am stripping my banster(still /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif ) and i need to know if any one has any suggestions as to what to use to scrap under the railing inbetween the spindles???? their is about 40 layers of paint and i am at a loss as to what to use.. so far i have used chemical stripper and i have used a brass wheel on my drill and a heat gun to remove about 90 % of the paint... but under the railing is being a real problem...

Peety
09-28-2008, 12:47 AM
steel wool.
I would need to see a picture,

Giggle Squirt
09-28-2008, 12:53 AM
ok give me 2 min and i will give you a picture.
and i have also tried that.

Peety
09-28-2008, 12:57 AM
Is it where the spacers are

Giggle Squirt
09-28-2008, 01:06 AM
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg269/maneater2008/CIMG2179.jpg

ok this is looking up under the hand rail..

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg269/maneater2008/CIMG2181-1.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg269/maneater2008/CIMG2176.jpg

Simba
09-28-2008, 01:09 AM
A dremmel tool will strip that perfectly.

Giggle Squirt
09-28-2008, 01:10 AM
or how about i have a strippng party next weekend and everyone can bring their drills and a wire wheel and help me take off many many layers of paint!!!!

Simba
09-28-2008, 01:12 AM
lol

Giggle Squirt
09-28-2008, 01:12 AM
no dremel does not work in that area... it is recessed and i have treid with ever friggan bit available... i have tried with the sanding and the metal bits... i have also tried paint scrapers and razor blades and chemices. and i am not having any luck:(

Macs II
09-28-2008, 01:13 AM
I would just replace them with new ones ..lot faster and easier /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Giggle Squirt
09-28-2008, 01:15 AM
yes, but it is not the old original wood... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif that is the whole point of me doing this is to take all the wood in my house and refinish it so it is all back to original old wood.. I have a thing for wood. and i live in a older house with alot of original wood. everything else has been easy to redo, but this banister is just being a pain...

Simba
09-28-2008, 01:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would just replace them with new ones ..lot faster and easier /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

LOL that's my answer to everything, throw everything the hell out and buy new ones...lol! Not worth the headache.

Peety
09-28-2008, 01:18 AM
I would keep using the steel wool.
I stripped 7 chairs and I used a sharpe pearing knife for around the botom of the wrongs.
I would keep using the stripper and brush it on and steel wool it off,,The metal curly Kates,,(pot scrubbers) work good.

Macs II
09-28-2008, 01:18 AM
well if thats what you wanna do ...go for it. Just make sure you test if there is any lead paint on it.

AngelOnHigh
09-28-2008, 01:20 AM
I am not being a smart butt here... but did you try googling it? maybe others have had the same problem there too. looks like a bunch of work, but i bet it will be all worth it in the end!!!

go to DIY sites too!!! They might have some great ideas!

Macs II
09-28-2008, 01:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simba</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would just replace them with new ones ..lot faster and easier /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

LOL that's my answer to everything, throw everything the hell out and buy new ones...lol! Not worth the headache. </div></div>

it really isn't unless we're talking about valuable antique furniture or something like that.

Giggle Squirt
09-28-2008, 01:21 AM
thanks... what is a good chemical that you know of???? i have been using poly stiper... ?????/

T_wolfe
09-28-2008, 01:24 AM
try using a paint stripper.... then scrape it with a paint scrapper or a puddy knife... For the tiny crevases... use stell wool as mentioned or even a fine metal brush.. It's messy but works very well... You should wear clothe gloves as the stripper slowly melts rubber ones. Use in a ventalated area. The fumes can be overwhelming... Protect your eyes as well.. long sleeve shirt too.. this stuff can burn and irratate your skin. I refinished a few stair cases and they looked awsome when done.
I did do one where I left a little paint in the cracks and very hard to get at areas... washed it down with warm water.. then when it was dry I used a sealer and I was really suprised at how awsome it looked. It had a rather antique look.
Just an idea if you can't get it all out.

Macs II
09-28-2008, 01:25 AM
chemical paint strippers work fine but you have to keep in mind that they generally only remove one layer of paint at a time...so you have keep doing it if there is a heavy paint build up.

T_wolfe
09-28-2008, 01:26 AM
If you call Simms woodworking out on GNR he may be able to suggest something a bit stronger then poly strip or any antique restoration place in town

Peety
09-28-2008, 01:28 AM
Pretty costly to replace them.
I would love to do the wrought Iron if I ever change mine.

Giggle Squirt
09-28-2008, 01:42 AM
ya I have been using chemical strippers and i have had more accidents with the heat gun with burning myself. yes google tells you to use chmical strippers and such but i was just wondering if anyone had any recomindations for the underside. it is a really tight squeese. i guess i will just keep plugging away and hopefully it will be done by christmas.. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif if anyone wants to come over to help i will be more then happy!!!

Tutones
09-28-2008, 01:54 AM
Hire a professional to do it for you? The cost would likely be well worth the time and frustration it would cost you.

bluekrissyspikes
09-28-2008, 02:49 AM
can't you get a gel paint remover that is okay to use on the bottom. they must make one that won't drip.

Anapeg
09-28-2008, 05:51 AM
You should be able to remove each spacer individually and sand them with a belt sander. They should be nailed in place and not glued. Once they are off you can even soak them in your favourite stripper. Watch when employing steel wool and abrasive wire wheels as combined with the chemicals they can cause some discolouration. (the metals reacting to your chemical choice.)

Trollic
09-28-2008, 09:52 AM
there is a stripper that is a thick paste and will not run when
vertical, i would call home depot and ask what kind of stripper
would be good for this application.

Craig Huckerby
09-28-2008, 10:58 AM
oh..that kind of stripping.... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

mags
09-28-2008, 06:10 PM
dental floss works great in grooves like that

someguy
09-28-2008, 11:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tequila sunrise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">or how about i have a strippng party next weekend and everyone can bring their drills and a wire wheel and help me take off many many layers of paint!!!! </div></div>

A stripping party sounds good as long as there are lots of ladies and you can use your tool at the party.. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

SusyQ
09-29-2008, 10:41 AM
/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif Leave it too you.

Verotik
09-29-2008, 02:09 PM
but will they work the banister i thought they only like brass poles

Madmax
09-29-2008, 02:25 PM
I read the title and am lazy today to not read any posts including the first one.

Well first you start with the lower parts, then slowly work you way up to the middle area (if anything is there to strip off), then take off what else is needed to be taken off ... thats simple is it not? ... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Now if you actually need help with it all. I am available to come and instruct you at any time... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Stripping is fun.

vixen
09-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Im back on just in time .... your stripping wood? right?

i have this black in decker tool thingy that worked great got it at home depot.

Giggle Squirt
09-29-2008, 10:04 PM
yes their is lead paint which is why i am using chemicals to prevent alot of dust. i want to get as much paint off as possible before i start hand sanding and stuff...