PDA

View Full Version : what is the name of?

Kittie
09-30-2008, 10:01 PM
HELP please.
What is the name of the Assistance place where they help you with one bill?
And they pay it one time..? Like an emergency type thing.
I'm not sure!
SOMEONE?

Chaotic Chick
09-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Community Assistance Trust.

Kittie
09-30-2008, 10:06 PM
And do they have a website?
Or do you have a number I can contact them at?

I just googled them , nothing came up.

Chaotic Chick
09-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Here ya go!

http://ssmunitedway.ca/CAT/index.html

Kittie
09-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Thank you soo much. :)

dancingqueen
10-01-2008, 12:35 AM
You mean there is an agency that will pay a bill off for you???
do they have restrictions?
Like can I get them to pay off an OSAP Loan?

Kittie
10-01-2008, 12:40 AM
I'm not sure the limit.
But, they do help pay off one loan.. OR will help you with paying for something.

T'is all I know. I'm calling in the AM.

dancingqueen
10-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Can you let me know how that goes? Reprocutions if there are any, or limits? I don't have a large loan, but financial situation is difficult to pay it off, but I need it payed off to go to school. I can probably do it but would sacrifice quite a bit :(

HBomb
10-01-2008, 12:51 AM
If you CAN afford to pay something off by sacrificing a bit then you don't need whatever this is then. I would assume that this is to help people that really need it and are stuck in a corner. I doubt they pay off a bill or loan or whatever just so somebody can live comfortably.

Chaotic Chick
10-01-2008, 12:57 AM
Community Assistance Trust is through the United Way. The organization will assist a low income family in paying a bill such as PUC or a gas bill, for example if they fit the criteria. CAT relies on donations and does what they can but can only help with a couple of hundred dollars or so usually. They also help people to find other resources to assist them with a crisis financial situation.

Chaotic Chick
10-01-2008, 12:59 AM
Thank you soo much. :)

You are welcome Kittie. :)

dancingqueen
10-01-2008, 01:12 AM
Thanks Sweetness, that makes sense to me now. Not something I would need to use, but sounds very helpful. HBomb, that is why I was asking about it.

EyelashExtensions
10-01-2008, 09:19 AM
They help with medical and dental as well, for low income families on OW or low income working families/single people. Many working families do not have dental coverage.

houlegan
10-01-2008, 09:20 AM
There is an emergency dental through the algoma health unit at city hall. You may want to try there?

EyelashExtensions
10-01-2008, 09:23 AM
The Algoma health unit won't take anyone NOT receiving OW. Dumbest thing I ever heard but unless your a child or on OW they won't take you.

The emergency on call dentist costs money.

Chaotic Chick
10-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Yeah when I was working and had no benefits, I called AHU and was told I could only use their services for myself if I was on OW. How bloody fair is that? :rolleyes:

Sophie's_Mommy
10-01-2008, 10:00 AM
they only pay up to a 1200 bill no more then that. so i think osap would be out of the question, they usually help in cases of rent owing, puc gas, ect...but they will only pay up to 1200

BooBooMyKy
10-01-2008, 10:08 AM
i hope people don't abuse the service...there are a lot of people who are down on their luck and now with higher heating cost there will be more people who are in need. For some people it comes down to heating their home or feeding their kids.

SusyQ
10-01-2008, 10:11 AM
I'm sure they have a good screening program.

Chaotic Chick
10-01-2008, 10:24 AM
They do have a good screening process. People need proof, for one thing. A person needs to take the bill in (I believe they take it in to the United Way office) and CAT pays the utility company, dentist, etc directly. They will also check to see if a person has previously applied for a similar crisis, and if so, when.

They do rely on donations for the most part, and do ask that applicants try OW or other avenues as well. If a person is on OW, I believe that they verify that OW is not willing to help. So, not everyone can just call and ask for some help and get a cheque. I think their screening process works for them.

**Owens Mommy**
10-01-2008, 07:02 PM
About 3 years ago I was working at Nucomm and my benefits hadn't kicked in yet and I needed to get a wisdom tooth and the one in front of it pulled and I couldn't afford it. I wasn't on OW and they still helped me. They called me and we had a phone interview. They paid the dental surgeon directly all they asked of me was to make a donation to the United Way. It was a percentage of the dental bill, I'm not sure the exact percent but it ended up being $25 .