PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

Strife
10-01-2008, 11:50 PM
I am looking into buying my first car. With a car comes insurance costs. Gas is not a huge problem for me because the car I am looking at buying costs about $50 to fill up and will most likely last me a few weeks if not more. What I am looking at is the approximate price of insurance. I am 23, sparkling clean driving record and have been driving for about 7 years now. The vehicle I would be driving is a 1989 Toyota Corolla, 4 door, red in color. What I am wondering is what insurance company gives the best rates. I have already asked everyone I know if I can be put under their insurance and pay the difference and everyone either cant, or wont. I am in Soo Michigan right now so a list of companies would be great. Thanks for the help!

Macs II
10-01-2008, 11:54 PM
You need to ask the insurance companies .....and not here

Strife
10-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Thanks Macs for yet another useless post.

Macs II
10-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Yours is the useless one ......if you wanna know about the cost of insurance you go and deal with them......no one here can answer that.

If I wanna buy a new car you think I would come here and ask where I can get the best deal? ...LOL ......no I would go to the dealer

Don't be a baby

HBomb
10-02-2008, 12:29 AM
He's simply asking what everybody thinks is a fair insurance company. Its just like how everybody asks which tattoo shop should they go to, or which pizza place is the best, etc.

I wish I could help you out but I'm young and just bought a car as well. I'm going under my mom's insurance, I don't even know who her company is.

Strife
10-02-2008, 12:33 AM
Yours is the useless one ......if you wanna know about the cost of insurance you go and deal with them......no one here can answer that.

If I wanna buy a new car you think I would come here and ask where I can get the best deal? ...LOL ......no I would go to the dealer

Don't be a baby

Another part to my post was which company is the best. I dunno about you but I would estimate about 90% of the Soonet community would probably ask on Soonet what place would get them the best deal on a new car. So if you dont have anything relevant to add, dont post.

Strife
10-02-2008, 12:34 AM
He's simply asking what everybody thinks is a fair insurance company. Its just like how everybody asks which tattoo shop should they go to, or which pizza place is the best, etc.

I wish I could help you out but I'm young and just bought a car as well. I'm going under my mom's insurance, I don't even know who her company is.

When you get a moment could you ask her for me. I am gonna be making some phone calls tomorrow to see what kind of quotes I can get.

Macs II
10-02-2008, 12:36 AM

yeah ...just like when you come here and ask for a phone number to order a pizza.........grow up and learn to do things on your own.

SusyQ
10-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Hey Hey whoa cowboy he's just getting some ideas from differant people.

Macs II
10-02-2008, 12:40 AM
Hey Hey whoa cowboy he's just getting some ideas from differant people.

because he's a baby

vixen
10-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Hey Canadian! we are with algoma mut. give me a call later.

Luv to be on the GO
10-02-2008, 12:51 AM
CANADIAN ....Art Vanderly was inquiring about BelaireDirect Insurance
Send him a P.M. he could have some answers for you by now
Ignore Mac`s !!!!!!

b&aMom
10-02-2008, 06:33 AM
Canadian, your insurance rates will not only vary with your age and driving record, but also with the vehicle. You really do need to call around to get an accurate picture of what you're looking at in price. We are with ING, through Gord Royle here in town, and pay good prices on two new vehicles. However, when we purchased them (KIAs), the insurance broker was shocked at how low the rates are on those two vehicles. Has to do with safety ratings, vehicle style (two door vs. family car, etc.), and I believe the cost to repair.

General Lee
10-02-2008, 07:02 AM
i went to rivet ins i have been with then since i was 19 i have never paid more then 100 a month right now i have a 2000 s10 truck full coverage and a 1996 intrepid plpd and our tenets ins all for 150 a month

Miles From Nowhere
10-02-2008, 07:27 AM
http://www.kanetix.ca/

The online quote will give you quotes from a few different companies. I got a kick ass quote from a broker in Scarborough that deals with Aviva. If you're not too concerned about your broker being out of town, this is probably your best bet.

Madmax
10-02-2008, 08:22 AM
We can go all day saying what we think a good price would be for our car, but if you have had any accidents and fines and such within the past 5-10 years depends on the insuarnce company you go with .. we can't determine a decent price.

But based upon your year of car and your age, plus 7 years of driving i supect it would be around the 1200-1500 per year still no matter where you go, unless it is put into someone elses name that has been driving for 20 years and is way older then 23 years old.

To get a severe drop in price you must be 25 years old and at least 10 years of driving with no accidents and such.

Madmax
10-02-2008, 08:31 AM
http://www.kanetix.ca/

The online quote will give you quotes from a few different companies. I got a kick ass quote from a broker in Scarborough that deals with Aviva. If you're not too concerned about your broker being out of town, this is probably your best bet.

The best i got from any was $10.00 cheaper then i pay now, not worth it to me as i been with my insurance place for 21 years.... :)

GRUMPY
10-02-2008, 08:40 AM
because he's a baby

better a baby than an a$$ like you.

lynys
10-02-2008, 08:54 AM
We can go all day saying what we think a good price would be for our car, but if you have had any accidents and fines and such within the past 5-10 years depends on the insuarnce company you go with .. we can't determine a decent price.

But based upon your year of car and your age, plus 7 years of driving i supect it would be around the 1200-1500 per year still no matter where you go, unless it is put into someone elses name that has been driving for 20 years and is way older then 23 years old.

To get a severe drop in price you must be 25 years old and at least 10 years of driving with no accidents and such.

Or married, or have a child. Mine dropped immensely when I got married at 22 years old.

Madmax
10-02-2008, 08:58 AM
Thats is also True in some cases, but not to many peeps get married at 16-22 years old nowadays and well as for kids.... thats another story.

I was a little (older) then that when i got married/divorced as well... :)

My insurance dropped when i was 25 years old, but when i got married (a year or two later) and had a child it never dropped any more and infact over the past 2 years it has went up $1.00-$2.00 . cause of inflation ... i will be 37 years old this year.

GRUMPY
10-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Basically the only way you will find out is by calling around to get quotes , so don't waste your time here because whatever info you do get you will still have to call around. On a side note did you really expect to have anyone say that it was ok to go under their insurance and you'd pay the difference?

Barry Morris
10-02-2008, 09:04 AM
After you price all that's involved in driving a car, consider what the cost would be to take a cab everywhere you want to go.

Strife
10-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I was basically looking for names of companies so I cna look them up on the web. I know I am gonna pay out an arm and a leg for a while but I was looking for opinions on which company, or companies would atleast let me keep my arm so to speak lol.

Madmax
10-02-2008, 09:07 AM
I am with Dawson & Keenan call em up, been there for 21 years now.

Strife
10-02-2008, 09:07 AM
On a side note did you really expect to have anyone say that it was ok to go under their insurance and you'd pay the difference?

No actually I wasnt leaning towards that at all. I stated that I asked everyone I know because I knew someone was gonna say "Why dont you ask someone to be put under their insurance".

Craig Huckerby
10-02-2008, 09:25 AM
$1,400 a year - clean record - normal car - was married , 45 years old..

Madmax
10-02-2008, 09:27 AM
$1,400 a year - clean record - normal car - was married , 45 years old..

Umm was the insurance in your previous wife's NAME?

If so .. then you start like your a Nobody at driving.

If not .. then your getting reemed up the keyster and i suggest you shop around.

Well i suggest that either way ... check into the place i am at = Dawson & Keenan.

Oh.. is the car NEW or within the past 5 years old .... that can make a difference (higher price) and if any loans are on it and full coverage as well can reflect what you have to pay.

Actually for me if i buy a new vehicle i would only pay around the same as now, maybe $200.00 more per year - $800.00 a year instead of $612.00.

Craig Huckerby
10-02-2008, 10:08 AM
nope, we have separate insurance policies. I will be shopping around though as it did go up about 20 bucks last year...mind you I use my vehicle for work, so that probably doesn't help.

Madmax
10-02-2008, 10:22 AM
nope, we have separate insurance policies. I will be shopping around though as it did go up about 20 bucks last year...mind you I use my vehicle for work, so that probably doesn't help.

Oh its commerical insurance.... that will be much higher for sure, but of course (a good thing is) you can use it as a deductable as well at income tax time.

givememore
10-02-2008, 11:23 AM
I have been with TD General Insurance for 7 years. They beat every quote I got in this city by far. I have recommended them to a few people who also got great rates. If you are a male under 24, your premium is a bit higher because you fall into a "high risk" category. If you are married or common-law or have a child, it does come down a little bit. Also having a clean record helps. Give them a call to get a quote, I am sure you won't be disappointed. Your car is an older one too, so I cannot see the insurance being outrageous at all.
Good luck!!!

Strife
10-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks givememore! I did a qoute online and with my driving record, plus my car, it would cost me less than $1200 a year. Since I have a bank account with TD, I can have it withdrawn right out of my account. Thanks!

10-02-2008, 12:13 PM
When I was shopping around for insurance for my Ranger, the lowest quote I got was from CAA. This was when they were located in the Station Mall and had an auto insurance agent here. She went beyond expectations to ensure I got the lowest rate possible. No one else locally, including Dawson and Keenan and Rivet were able to come anywhere close.

I have to deal through there telemarketing unit now, but even the phone agents go beyond expectations to do what has to be done for customer satisfaction.

And what other insurance company sends their customers a $10 Tim's Card for customer appreciation once a year?

I'm currently paying about $1200/yr $2Mil PLPD coverage (not worth putting anything else on there due to the age of the vehicles) for a 91 S-Blazer 4x4 and a 94 F150. CAA isn't just the broker, they're the underwriters. This will likely go down once I'm actually married and the kids are part of the deal too. This also includes at-fault accident forgiveness where my rate doesn't go up if I have an at-fault accident. (knock on wood...been driving both car/motorbike for 20+ years now, with no accidents)

Of all the insurance companies/agents I've dealt with, this has been the most hassle free one yet. At this point I have nothing but good comments about them.

chase_me
10-02-2008, 12:23 PM
You need to call, everyone is different as a young male your insurance will be higher then normal til you hit 25 yrs of age.

Just FYI when we were looking to change insurance companies most wanted us to make an appt nad go in and didn't want to do a quote over the phone.

Strife
10-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks Short Circutz!Maybe I will check them out too. I re-did my qoute for TD since my license is expired and if I get my license back the same month, my insurance will be just over $1200 a year which is pretty darn good.

Kittie
10-02-2008, 01:23 PM
If it expires, do you not have to start from G1 all over again?

Strife
10-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Yes I do. The thing is I can get my G2 the same day if I wanted. Since I already waited the 8 months, I dont have to do it again unless I am without a license for 3 years.

Kittie
10-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Ohh!!
I thought it was a year??

Good luck with that! :\ Insurance is crazy if you're a young'n.

Strife
10-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Yeah its pretty steep.....although $100 a month isnt all that bad compared to other rates I have gotten

Kittie
10-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Yeah! Thats for sure.
Good thing its not a brand new car = heft car payments/insurance/gas! Lol!

Good luck with it all man!

Strife
10-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Yeah my sister was saying that it wasnt worth it. The car is $250 and needs some body work and a new windshield. I am thinkin that if I cna get a decent car for about $1000, its worth it. Its a heck of alot better than paying for a new car and then higher insurance on top of that. If everything works out the way I plan it, I should have a car on the road by the end of spring.

Oh and maybe I didnt mention this but this car costs about $50 for a fill up at current gas prices which is really decent.

Tutones
10-02-2008, 05:15 PM
I found ING through Gord Royle much cheaper than TD. We have two vehicles insured for under $1000 a year combined. One is a 1998 and one is a 2003. TD quoted me at $1400 just for my 1998 Hyundai alone. No thanks.

I've been driving for 7 years. One thing I quickly discovered when I went to buy my first car was that it really DOES matter what make/model you choose. I wanted to buy a Cavalier and I was quoted $3000/year as a new female driver over 25... for a Hyundai Elantra the same company insured me for $1700. Better ratings.

Now, if you're buying an old beater and you are going to own it outright (no lien) you can opt for PL/PD only, which will cost you less as well. It just means that the insurance company will not fix YOUR car if you are in an accident. Your deductible would probably be close to the value of your car anyway...

10-02-2008, 05:30 PM
It just means that the insurance company will not fix YOUR car if you are in an accident. Your deductible would probably be close to the value of your car anyway...

if YOUR at fault for the accident.

If it's the other driver's fault, then it's their pl/pd that covers your vehicle...

puppy
10-02-2008, 05:57 PM
i have a 98 Dodge Dakota X-Cab and i got full coverage on it and it costs me 1600.00 and that is included with the accident i had in 2004...that is not bad coverage

axalon2003
10-02-2008, 06:45 PM
We go through Doug Sykes for insurance. They've been good to us. $685 for a 2001 Caravan. They got us the best price for our insurance locally.

Strife
10-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Maybe I will check them out too. Thanks for the tip.

puppy
10-02-2008, 08:02 PM
i have full coverage on my dakota and it costs me $1664 a year and the accident i had was my fault with no more tickets at all but still not bad coverage...and I am 31 years old and i have my insurance with algoma mutual through gord royle

hp2
10-02-2008, 08:11 PM
my 01 crew cab dakota alone is $1144 insured to the max, Lol only know cause I had to pull out my new slips as this reminded me...