PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia PhysX

filthy
10-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Anyone try using an 8, 9 or GTX series card as a dedicated physics processing unit?

I will have a 8600GT on Monday, and would like to see it in action as a physx card alongside my GTX 260 Core 216 and Q6600.

Will post details after...

Madmax
10-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Anyone trying to use a Radeon Card with a Nvida card as a dedicated PPU?

Or

Tried 3 HD4800 series cards and have one as a PPU?

Killswitch
10-05-2008, 11:36 PM
AFAIK you can only mix ATI and Nvidia cards in XP. Vista won't allow you to install 2 different graphics drivers....... yet. I have an 8600GT coming as well to use as a PPU. I'm gonna install XP on another hard drive for some testing.

ATI doesn't have physics processing capabilities released to the consumer yet. I thought you would have known that one.

filthy
10-06-2008, 03:49 AM
Ya wow, max your out of the loop...

Madmax
10-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Well i guess you ppl never read online as it has been done ATI card with a Nvidia Card.

Also ATI does not have a PPU card, but Physics is capable in a two or three card solution once ATI releases a DEDICATED driver hopefully soon. Oh and ATI has always had Physic Capabilities in there cards within the past 4-5 years and all drviers have it incorporated, but of course games need to have such installments within them to trigger the Physics capabilities of the driver.

You can however use a hacked driver to use with a two or three ATI card solution and that is what i was asking if anyone has tried it yet.

It appears you two are out of the loop and not me.

filthy
10-07-2008, 12:13 PM
You just said the sky is ALWAYS blue...but sometimes it's green.

filthy
10-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Also I just got my PPU today, but work so will test tomorrow.

Killswitch
10-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Well i guess you ppl never read online as it has been done ATI card with a Nvidia Card.

Also ATI does not have a PPU card, but Physics is capable in a two or three card solution once ATI releases a DEDICATED driver hopefully soon. Oh and ATI has always had Physic Capabilities in there cards within the past 4-5 years and all drviers have it incorporated, but of course games need to have such installments within them to trigger the Physics capabilities of the driver.

You can however use a hacked driver to use with a two or three ATI card solution and that is what i was asking if anyone has tried it yet.

It appears you two are out of the loop and not me.
Dude, can you read? j/k
I said ATI doesn't have phyics drivers for the public/consumer.
Where do you get these un-official "hacked" drivers? I doubt current drivers have this because lots of games use Havok and there's no options in the CCC to enable a video card for it. So it's not the games that need to support the card.......... the cards drivers need to support the game.
Oh, and Nvidia doesn't have a PPU card either. Their regular old video cards is what is used for physics calculations.

filthy
10-09-2008, 04:09 AM
Well I wouldn't say regular "old" as it has to be 8 series or newer...lol. But I know what you mean.

I popped my 8600GT in today, along side my GTX 260+. Opened the Nvidia PhysX properties and selected the 8600GT as the dedicated PPU.

First test was Warhead and FPs went up some. The significant thing was is I was able to was add up to 8xAA and FPS did not take a hit, so obviously the CPU and GPU have been freed up from physics calculations.

Off work for 2 so more testing on the way. I like where this is now, and where it's going. Now instead of wanting a second $300+ video for SLi/Xfire in the future...lol.
I feel I got a very nice boost for $40.