PDA

View Full Version : Summit Energy / Union Gas?? Door People?

GoldDogs
10-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Okay, so someone came to my door today. I couldn't understand him very well as he had a very thick accent. He was asking about our Union Gas bill. He signed us up for protection something or other? As my fiancee was signing he noticed it was too Summit Energy and not Union Gas.

See, when the guy first came to the door my fiancee wasn't home. But thank God he came home shortly after. When he did I said "Someone from Union Gas" because he had union Gas papers in his hand.

Now I am scared we signed into some kind of scam. Anyone know anything about this?

Not downing any companies here, just trying to figure out what we just did.

Kittie
10-04-2008, 01:07 PM
All I hear is negative stuff about this company. Search here, there's been threads about them before.

It's some sort of scam I hear!

CANDY_74
10-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Its definitely BS.
The guy probably told you that to go with the company he was working for would be cheaper for your Gas (and PUC) bills right?

Don't believe it!! Its going to cost you more; get out of it ASAP!! There should be a number or something for you to call and get out of it or someone will call you within 7 days and tell them that you want out of it!!

puppy
10-04-2008, 01:22 PM
it is a bunch of bs..........scammers

Macs II
10-04-2008, 01:27 PM
yeah ...cancel it as soon as you can or your gas bill will skyrocket

Limitations
10-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Unless someone can give me a clear and solid reason to sign with them I am staying clear of it.

Ms. Marisa Belsito

puppy
10-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Unless someone can give me a clear and solid reason to sign with them I am staying clear of it.

Ms. Marisa Belsito

they tell ya that ur gas and power bills will be lower when the rates go up and that is a crock of crap...ur bills are more when u sign with them..

mags
10-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Find the number on your copy that he gave you today and Call it today. You have seven days to change your mind but call today and then call them again Monday. Also call your gas company and tell them you were not sure what signing but you are not changing from your company.
Get started today.

GoldDogs
10-04-2008, 02:14 PM
ARGH. I can't believe we fell for that. They musta sent out a chinese guy on purpose so that we wouldn't understand him.

He said he was with Union Gas and showed my union gas papers.

No offence to anyone with accents, but you have to admit that it is harder to understand things.

Macs II
10-04-2008, 02:22 PM
If you don't understand something .....don't sign it ...

GoldDogs
10-04-2008, 02:23 PM
I didn't. My fiancee did. But they guy said he was from Union Gas. Isn't that like.... illegal?

He wrongly informed us of who he was. And showed us papers with the Union Gas Logo. He didn't say anything about Summit Energy.

Macs II
10-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Union Gas does not go door to door...neither does PUC

GoldDogs
10-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Well how was I supposed to know that. Argh.

Macs II
10-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Everyone knows that :)

Chaotic Chick
10-04-2008, 02:28 PM
The people for these energy companies are sometimes pushy salesmen, who make you believe it is a good deal... it happens. I got talked into it by a salesman several years ago but when I called my dad that night he told me to call the next morning and cancel. I was sure glad I did!

mags
10-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Gas and electric companies do not go door to door.
You missed a few words but they do word things so that if not listening or hearing every word you might think they work for your gas company.
Call and get out of this today!

Tutones
10-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Call Summit Energy and report the salesman AND CANCEL THE CONTRACT. He misrepresented himself by claiming to represent Union Gas... he can be fired for that. Never sign anything unless you've read all the fine print.

BlueSky
10-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Do you have a copy of what you signed? If so, there shold be contact info there. You should have at least 48 hours to get out of the contract (or is it seven days?).

Check with consumer affairs.

Strife
10-04-2008, 03:14 PM
I believe with any contract you can get out of it free of charge within 30 days. I would call and cancel.

lynys
10-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Or, call Union Gas and have the bill changed from whomever's name is on it to another name. ;)

Carolyn
10-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Summit Energy has to call you to confirm that you want the contract, when they call just state that you do not want to proceed with the contract and they must cancel.

Nihilistic Heathen
10-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Can I cancel this agreement?
Yes you have 10 days after registering at your door and receiving a written copy of the agreement in which to change your mind. In addition we will be calling you to reaffirm your decision to register for a fixed rate

Mailing Address

100 Milverton Dr - Suite 608
Mississauga, ON, L5R 4H1

Phone

905-366-7000

Fax

905-366- 7063

Toll Free

1-877-222-9520

Email

customerservice@summittenergy.ca

10-04-2008, 11:38 PM
They are just insurance agents.

You basically pay them more than what you are paying now in hopes that it doesn't rise.

They are like their car insurance buddies.

GoldDogs
10-05-2008, 12:52 AM
We called and left a nasty message on the phone telling them we don't want it. They should call us back and if not we will be. Ergh. First time homeowner has learned first real lesson. Don't trust door to door sales reps.

Shawn
10-05-2008, 12:59 AM
We called and left a nasty message on the phone telling them we don't want it. They should call us back and if not we will be. Ergh. First time homeowner has learned first real lesson. Don't trust door to door sales reps.

Sad part is legally anyone at your residence can lock you into one of these contracts, it does not even have to be the owner, even children or anyone living at the residence can sign and make a legal contract to have the services switched from what I have heard.

Macs II
10-05-2008, 01:03 AM
Sad part is legally anyone at your residence can lock you into one of these contracts, it does not even have to be the owner, even children or anyone living at the residence can sign and make a legal contract to have the services switched from what I have heard.

Under age children can not make s legal contract.

Shawn
10-05-2008, 02:06 AM
Under age children can not make s legal contract.

Sorry was not meaning underage children... but ya anyone 18 or older living in the house...

Carolyn
10-05-2008, 07:50 AM
Another sad part, I was told by the lady at Union Gas that all they need is your name and address to switch you they don't care if they have the account number or not. So you get an not so nice sales guy and they could forge your name and have things switched. At least with our hydro bills here (not sure about PUC) but they HAVE to have to account number and the name EXACTLY as it is on the bill.

Super Gram
10-05-2008, 08:43 AM
They always ask to see your bill and thats how they get your number. We have one and have been just waiting for the 5 years to be up and then we are OUT>Either that or my lawyer gets a call.:angry: We didn't sign anything for the PUC and we didn't let them see our bill either. Did he have identity around his neck.Call them and tell them you want out or you call your lawyer because he said he was from Union Gas.The bill he had in his hand was someone elses that what they do. I would also call Union Gas and complaint that someone is using their name to sell gas.Do it on Monday.

Carolyn
10-05-2008, 10:05 AM
They don't necessarily need to see your bill. I refuse to show my bill to anyone at the door and yet a few months ago we somehow got signed up with Summit Energy and it was only after a harrassing and threatening phone call that they let us out of our contract. That is when I called Union Gas and was told that they don't need to have the account number, just an address and a name. Quite a few people on our street were hit by this guy.

Verotik
10-05-2008, 10:23 AM

well you didnt hear right, anyone under 18 can't make a legally binding contract

Benoit Ferradini
12-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Hello,

I am a reporter with the french CBC television in Vancouver, BC. I am preparing a story about Summitt Energy and its way to recruit new customers.

I am interested in all you stories, and would like to talk to people from British Columbia.

If you have been contacted by Summitt Energy in BC, can you e-mail me?

My e-mail adress is benoit.ferradini@cbc.ca

Thank you,

Benoît Ferradini
Public Affairs reporter, French CBC in Vancouver

Limitations
12-15-2008, 06:16 PM
I remember calling a number and or going to an office in efforts to get my name off of the contract.

The second time someone came after some years, regardless, of the language barrier that glared with the salesperson, I did not sign anything.

I know I made the right choices under a great deal of pressure to leave Union Gas because of the increased cost of home heating.

Ms. Marisa Belsito

[QUOTE=Yorkie;339790]Okay, so someone came to my door today. I couldn't understand him very well as he had a very thick accent. He was asking about our Union Gas bill. He signed us up for protection something or other? As my fiancee was signing he noticed it was too Summit Energy and not Union Gas.

See, when the guy first came to the door my fiancee wasn't home. But thank God he came home shortly after. When he did I said "Someone from Union Gas" because he had union Gas papers in his hand.

Now I am scared we signed into some kind of scam. Anyone know anything about this?

Not downing any companies here, just trying to figure out what we just did.[QUOTE]

Evangeline
12-15-2008, 06:24 PM
umm this is SOO Net, = Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, network (ok some Michigan ppl too)

I'm sure there are lots of people on here that would love to tell you about their experiences with that company, and how they scam people, but there is probably only one or two members on the whole forum from B.C.

Limitations
12-15-2008, 06:42 PM
I have been a resident in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada, for most of my life.

After being approached twice I did not go through with changing to another Company with either of the sales people no matter the pressure.

I am with Union Gas for my home gas heating and I would be very surprised if that changed in the future.

Even though I am not satisfied with Union Gas I know it is a higher risk to go with some other Company unless I am given proof that convinces me beyond a reasonable doubt, to change my mind, into the unfolding of the future.

Ms. Marisa Belsito

b&aMom
12-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Easy there, tiny tim. Not everyone in the country realizes that Sault = Soo. LOL I'm sure Mr. Ferradini googled Summit Energy, and came across these comments, not knowing what Soo equals.

uptowngurl
12-15-2008, 08:12 PM
They also send out young good looking blondes...ya-my husband almost fell for that one "til I came to the door and told them to get the h""l off my property!! The 1st they came here..it was 2 guys(2 different times) and he told them both to get lost.He actually started listening to the girls.Hmm go figure,lol.They may be scammers but they can be pretty smart.HAHA

GRUMPY
12-15-2008, 08:50 PM
lol, you'd think a good reporter would realize there aren't too many B.C. residents posting here.

Thats true but it could be a good reporter who is after any information that will help his story. You might be surprised to know that these things happen in other places too.

Huggy85
12-15-2008, 09:07 PM
lol, you'd think a good reporter would realize there aren't too many B.C. residents posting here.

I don't think that's relevant. Obviously Summit operates in its shady ways all across Canada. That makes it an even bigger story than someone that just scams people in our little city. Some negative media coverage would serve them right, no matter where the customers are.

mr ed
12-15-2008, 09:20 PM
lol like all the bad press, litigation and charges suffered by Direct Energy
http://www.ntc.on.ca/

BFLPE
12-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Thats true but it could be a good reporter who is after any information that will help his story. You might be surprised to know that these things happen in other places too.

I don't think that's relevant. Obviously Summit operates in its shady ways all across Canada. That makes it an even bigger story than someone that just scams people in our little city. Some negative media coverage would serve them right, no matter where the customers are.

I just figured...

...and would like to talk to people from British Columbia.

If you have been contacted by Summitt Energy in BC, can you e-mail me?

Huggy85
12-15-2008, 09:31 PM
I just figured...

hmmmm. missed that part. :-)

GRUMPY
12-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Must be shocking for a few on here that always figured that the Soo was the center of the known world to find out that there were actually people in Canada who didn't know where our one horse town was.

GoldDogs
12-16-2008, 12:36 AM
Wow, this is soooo old! Lol. That guy must have just like, googled everything that had the word Summit Energy in it or something to find this.

Barney Rubble
12-16-2008, 04:23 AM
Must be shocking for a few on here that always figured that the Soo was the center of the known world to find out that there were actually people in Canada who didn't know where our one horse town was.

The Sault finally got a horse??
go figure!
:)

b&aMom
12-16-2008, 06:55 AM
^ funny. It's a miniature pony.

BooBooMyKy
12-16-2008, 08:31 AM
i just went throught the same thing. The guy can to my door asking if i got my rebait from puc. he said if i sign up then i would get a provencial rebait on my bill. i asked him if he worked for puc and he said yes ans showed me someones bill. then he wanted to take my bill which i just got in the mail that day and i didnt even open it yet. when i said no he took a picture of it. i was tricked into beleiving that i was getting a government rebait. i asked him stratight out if i was signing up for a locked in rate and he said no. after i signed everything and he gave me some papers to read and left. a few days later a read the info he left and everything he told me was a lie. i called the company and reported him and they acted like they were shocked to hear this but i guess if they are telling everyone the same scam then they must know about it. they did let me out of the contract and i told them to put me on their do not solisit list.

GRUMPY
12-16-2008, 08:49 AM
I'm sorry but a stranger comes to the door offers people the moon and then they realize that it was a scam , gee who would have thought.

Hans
12-16-2008, 01:45 PM
http://www.oeb.gov.on.ca/OEB/For+Consumers/Your+Energy+Options/Contracts+-+Consumer+Protection+Rules

heintzman
12-16-2008, 11:16 PM
someone came to my door, i told him i had heard that they were a rip off,,, he denied, denied,,, talked a blue streak,,, i asked him for a business card ,,he said he would have to go to his car and get one for me,,,,, never did come back with one!!,,....hmmm.... wonder why? a friend of mine got out of it by calling and complaining , saying that her hubby was on meds, and he didn't understand the person, as they didn't speak english very well, mentioned a lawyer ,,, they ended her contract.

GRUMPY
12-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Sorry but I feel if somebody is silly enough to agree to anything that anyone tries to sell them at the door should be forced to stick to the contract, maybe the next time they might have the brains to tell them to shove off.

Jackie B
12-16-2008, 11:32 PM
I try never to be rude to door to door people or telemarketers, but there are so many now, my patience has worn thin. Now if I get a long distance number, I answer it, say hello, and if someone doesn't respond immediately, I hang up. No second hello.

Last month an energy guy knocked at my door. I opened it, realized who he was and said "Oh no you don't." and shut the door. I could hear him on the other side say "Well, have a nice day then." *giggles*

heintzman
12-16-2008, 11:32 PM
Sorry but I feel if somebody is silly enough to agree to anything that anyone tries to sell them at the door should be forced to stick to the contract, maybe the next time they might have the brains to tell them to shove off.

I disagree, and take offense. If someone shows up at your door, and usually at a busy time of the evening,,, they have a name tag, carrying a clip board,with samples of bills just like yours,,, and they are well versed in what they are selling,,, and the average consumer does not know a whole lot about what they are talking about, i think it is unfair. They are trained to talk circles around the average homeowner, therefore, it can be confusing to the average person,,, not everyone is a rocket scientist, and because they are not , doesn't mean that they can afford the extra $$. it is wrong to be tricked!

chanie_5
12-17-2008, 12:13 AM
I hate when these people come to the door, they don't take no for an answer, especially when i tell them that i do not get paper bills to show them, all my billing is online. Now whenever they come to the door I make sure I have my big shepard mix with me and I look like I am trying to hold her back from killing them, it usually makes them leave...they don't know that my girl would never hurt a fly.

GRUMPY
12-17-2008, 08:47 AM
I disagree, and take offense. If someone shows up at your door, and usually at a busy time of the evening,,, they have a name tag, carrying a clip board,with samples of bills just like yours,,, and they are well versed in what they are selling,,, and the average consumer does not know a whole lot about what they are talking about, i think it is unfair. They are trained to talk circles around the average homeowner, therefore, it can be confusing to the average person,,, not everyone is a rocket scientist, and because they are not , doesn't mean that they can afford the extra $$. it is wrong to be tricked!

Be offended then as long as it smartens you up,as they say there is a sucker born every day. Just try to think for a second when somebody shows up out of the blue and offers to either save you or make you a bit of money.

GRUMPY
12-17-2008, 08:50 AM
I hate when these people come to the door, they don't take no for an answer, especially when i tell them that i do not get paper bills to show them, all my billing is online. Now whenever they come to the door I make sure I have my big shepard mix with me and I look like I am trying to hold her back from killing them, it usually makes them leave...they don't know that my girl would never hurt a fly.

Had the same thing a few years back where the joker wouldn't take no for an answer but he quickly caught on when I asked him if he wanted to walk down the steps or fly down them.

Babzz
12-17-2008, 09:00 AM
They have not been at my door in some time now..
I must be on the " do not bother list" with them now :)
woohoo

BlueSky
12-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Rule of thumb. NEVER NEVER sign anything binding at the door. Always, ALWAYS take 24 hours to think about it and do some reserach.

GRUMPY
12-17-2008, 09:19 AM
very true, I find it ironic that people will be smart enough to know all about e-mail scams and never would fall for them; but get sucked in by any joker with a clip board and name tag that they picked up for a couple of bucks from Staples.

Limitations
12-19-2008, 10:54 AM
[QUOTE=b&aMom;379545]Easy there, tiny tim. Not everyone in the country realizes that Sault = Soo. LOL I'm sure Mr. Ferradini googled Summit Energy, and came across these comments, not knowing what Soo equals.[QUOTE]

The above was in response it appears to the person with the screen id name " Evangeline ".

It would help for postings to have who the person is replying to and of course it be understood that others are also reading who could reply to various points within the topic and or raise new relevant ones.

Ms. Marisa Belsito

scrimador
11-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Nov 2009. Two sales scammers from Summit Energy came to the door, presenting a hydro bill and trying to mislead me into believing that they're from the utility company. I suggest that they properly identify themselves in the future, and BTW, let me see your ID. At that point both took off their badges, became abusive and scurried away like roaches. Good Bye, Summit Energy.

Super Gram
11-06-2009, 12:13 PM
I just called Just Energy,,,,we still have until Nov 1-2010 to go then they will never get inside our house again.Thats for oil..we smartened up and didn't sign anything for the PUC

verotik66
11-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Okay, so someone came to my door today. I couldn't understand him very well as he had a very thick accent. He was asking about our Union Gas bill. He signed us up for protection something or other? As my fiancee was signing he noticed it was too Summit Energy and not Union Gas.

Not downing any companies here, just trying to figure out what we just did.

why is it every three months we have to see some idiot signed something they knew nothing about at their door./

DM46
11-06-2009, 05:57 PM

Contracts are only valid if the consignee is the age of majority.

MissMuffett
11-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Don't do it!! We just got screwed over by that crap. Gas rates r 19cents and they charged us 39 cents and it cost us 350$ to cancel and get out of the 5 year contract. We had universal energy pretty much the same thing

Timbit
11-06-2009, 08:22 PM
that was 3 years ago that we signed that though....I just finally got pissed off and forced them to cancel it :) hehehehe so now I am back with union gas, cost me an early termination like muffett said, and 200 deposit with union gas, but I think it's worth it to be away from those scammers...

like she said, they tricked me originally saying that they would start off at 33.9 cents, and it would go to 39.9 cents after 6 months. Union gas was at 42.9 at the time so it sounded good....PLUS to add, they mentioned that if union gas went lower then my current rate, they would honour it....couldn't go wrong....I THOUGHT!!!

found out that what they do is within 6 months, (my promo period) if THEIR rate dropped, a.k.a the one I was paying with them through their company, they would honour it, lock it in again starting that new time frame for another 5 years....they called it the blend and extend option.....what a F*(&(*&) joke those guys were.....I think it was well worth the money to get out and away from them

Huggy85
11-06-2009, 08:30 PM
that was 3 years ago that we signed that though....I just finally got pissed off and forced them to cancel it :) hehehehe so now I am back with union gas, cost me an early termination like muffett said, and 200 deposit with union gas, but I think it's worth it to be away from those scammers...

like she said, they tricked me originally saying that they would start off at 33.9 cents, and it would go to 39.9 cents after 6 months. Union gas was at 42.9 at the time so it sounded good....PLUS to add, they mentioned that if union gas went lower then my current rate, they would honour it....couldn't go wrong....I THOUGHT!!!

found out that what they do is within 6 months, (my promo period) if THEIR rate dropped, a.k.a the one I was paying with them through their company, they would honour it, lock it in again starting that new time frame for another 5 years....they called it the blend and extend option.....what a F*(&(*&) joke those guys were.....I think it was well worth the money to get out and away from them

That cancellation fee must have been a tough pill to swallow, but I'm sure you did the right thing in the long run.

Hans
11-06-2009, 08:30 PM
You can call them and cancel. They have to cancel when you call.
They also HAVE to call you before the contract is valid. Just signing it is not valid. You can say no and then they have to cancel the contract.

I did this myself to get rid of them for once and for all. I signed everything, cancelled 2 days later. Never seen them again.

http://www.oeb.gov.on.ca/OEB/For+Consumers/Your+Energy+Options/Contracts+-+Consumer+Protection+Rules

Read the heading "Contract Reaffirmation"

GRUMPY
11-06-2009, 10:20 PM
The golden rule is that if any one comes to your door for anything just tell them to shove off, be that for salesmen or those others who show up on Saturday mornings.

lynys
11-07-2009, 02:12 AM
Would have been cheaper for you to change your billing name to the Mrs. name there Tim. Anytime you have a name change on the contract, it becomes null and void.

Bouffer
11-07-2009, 02:32 AM
They are a scam!! Do not sign up for that!!! They say how much money you'll save on your bill but you don't you actually pay for your union gas as usual plus a fee from summit energy (little chinese man?)!