PDA

View Full Version : Hockey moms/dads

hyperbabbola
10-05-2008, 05:30 PM
I have a seven year old, turning eight in December who has never played hockey before. He's suddenly expressing an interest. Does anyone know if there are power skating classes available through the year and how I could get info on them? Maybe if he got some more skating under his belt, he could start hockey next year, ancient though he will be. lol

BrAt
10-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Lake Superior Figure Skating Club offers CanSkate as well as Power Skating programs. Give them a call, there are some classes that just started and more than likely some that will start throughout the fall/winter. My son (who is now 15) plays hockey. He started different programs when he was 5. He's been in all sorts of skating programs.. figure skating, power skating, numerous hockey schools etc. They are fantastic learning tools and he always picks up something new from them.

Good luck, he'll love it!! :)

H.E. Pennypacker
10-05-2008, 06:07 PM
what about skating for people who want to improve in their early to late 20's?

hyperbabbola
10-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Thank you BrAt, I'll give them a call tomorrow. :) Do you know if they wear just skates and a helmet or full gear or what to power skate?

BrAt
10-05-2008, 08:17 PM
When he was smaller he just wore skates, helmet and some elbow/knee pads. I'm not sure what it's like for his age group because my son was already in hockey by then. I would imagine it will be the same unless he gets into a hockey school of some sort.

bluekrissyspikes
10-06-2008, 07:40 AM
how much does signing up for hockey and teaching them to skate cost? my 3 year old is always talking about hockey and pretending to play hockey. i'm not sure if he's even old enough to start that kind of thing yet either.

BrAt
10-06-2008, 09:21 AM
They can start skating lessons at 4 years I believe but he's not to young to get him out on an outdoor rink this winter to get him started. :)

If you're just going with lessons it's not all that expensive but once they start into actual hockey... it's a lot. After you pay for the season you have to buy all the gear, tournaments, fundraisers etc. It adds up quite quickly! It's such a great sport though and teaches them a lot of things other than to play the game (being a team player etc.)

It's not for everyone but just getting on skates is a great start. :)

bluekrissyspikes
10-06-2008, 09:55 AM
yeah, i was thinking of getting him hockey stuff for x-mas. i'll probably just get him some skates and one of those little indoor hockey nets for now and see how he does with that for this year.

BrAt
10-06-2008, 11:57 AM
You can get small wooden hockey sticks too... once he's a bit stable on the skates, the stick will help him even more. :)

Jack Butler
10-06-2008, 01:58 PM
what about skating for people who want to improve in their early to late 20's?

Call Lake Superior and ask about adult programs.
There is always public skating, just to get out.
I'm sure can find something.