PDA

View Full Version : Help !!!!!

Giggle Squirt
10-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Well i kind of got voluntold to cook thanksgiving dinner for my family... and well... I CANT COOK!!! I screw up muffins and stupid stuff like that... me and the kitchen are like good and evil.. oil and water... technology and old people... we just don't mix.. What should i make for this... and how the hell do you cook a turkey??? my mother offered to bring dessert and my grandma is making rice stuff... but um what do you make for this feast!!! i have eaten it many times but i am not drawing a blank as to what i ate... is their any place in this city that can cook a turkey that i can pass off as my own ???

Chaotic Chick
10-09-2008, 07:50 PM
I hate cooking; I can but hate it. I made my first turkey (first time ALL by myself) last Christmas and it was really good! In fact, my husband ate lots of it and he says that he hates turkey.

I am not sure about anywhere that you can buy one already made, but if you cook a turkey at low heat and baste it LOTS, it turns out good. I rubbed real butter all over it, and basted it all day long. Lots of work. LOL Days like that are when I wish my mommy and grandma lived near me.

Giggle Squirt
10-09-2008, 07:54 PM
ugh i dont even own a baster

Chaotic Chick
10-09-2008, 07:59 PM
I couldn't find my baster when I cooked the turkey LOL. So, I used a measuring cup. It worked for me, but was kind of inconvenient. Cooking sucks. I am cooking Thanksgiving dinner, but only because my husband is working noon til 8 pm. Ugh!

J*B
10-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Get one at the dollar store..

Andre
10-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Google "stuffing" and pick out an easy recipe.
Stuff turkey.
Spend a little more $ and get one of those self basting turkeys with a pop up timer when it's done.
Ham you can cook in a slow cooker or slow boil in a pot.
Your carrots and potatoes you just boil.
Salad is simple.
Store bought or even better Church sale pie's for desert and you OK for a first dinner.

Gives you a whole year to plan for next year, but you'll pull this one off
/plus mom and gram are there to help

Simba
10-09-2008, 08:42 PM
But a Butterball stuffed turkey. Cook from frozen. Instructions are right on it. There done...lol

Giggle Squirt
10-09-2008, 08:43 PM
ugh i forgot about ham too.. :( ok.. i hope that it turns out ok...

Simba
10-09-2008, 08:45 PM
That's simple too, buy the precooked ones...lol

If all else fails, you can all go to the Husky for Thanksgiving dinner! lol!! j/k

Andre
10-09-2008, 08:55 PM
The big thing is timing!
Instructions always give you a basic time.
Get one or two dollar store timers.
If the butterball says four hours, get the pre-cooked ham in so it coincided with when the turkeys done.
The potatoes, carrots etc...30-45 minutes before everything is done.
Start making your salads about ½hour before
Desert pies 30 or after you take everything out. Unless they are frozen then they need about an hour.

/oh ya gravy, instant will work the first time. Hot water and stir lol

heintzman
10-09-2008, 10:16 PM
an easy way to do carrots is to put them in a cake pan with some butter, a little brown sugar, salt and pepper,,, cook in oven for 45 min,,,,, stuffing and gravy was always the hard part for me, and the timing of having everything done at the same time,, then i learned that , the turkey can be cooked and covered loosely with foil, it doesn't nessesarily have to be served hot, when you have hot gravy,,,don't stress about this,,, have someone come and help you,,, and make a fun time of it,, a project,,, by christmas time you will have it in the bag!!

Chaotic Chick
10-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhh, I completely forgot about gravy! That is the one thing my husband does because I suck at it LOL. I guess I will have to make instant gravy because mine has always been lumpy and tasteless.

heintzman
10-09-2008, 10:42 PM
no need to do instant,, you can use intant package as a flavor inhancer,,,,once you take your turkey out of the pan, put the pan on the stove over med heat,,, take a spatula, and stir, tipping the pan to put the liquid onto the dark stuff on the sides, and scrape that off into the liquid, ,,, after you have done as much as you can to scrape the drk, stuff off, ,,, transfer this liquid into a pot. have your flour and water in a jar,, put the flour in first ,,, then the cold water, and shake the heck out of it,,,it shouldn't be too runny or too thick,,,??,,, trial and error,,,,.you can always make more flour and water,,,. reserve your water from your potatoes, and add it to the turkey stock,,, this would be when you would add the pkg. flavouring,....when this is warm, add your flour and water, gradually with a wisk, wisking constantly,,,,, salt and pepper,you are good to go!!

Chaotic Chick
10-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Thank you corky! I will try that. My family hates instant gravy lol.

Jackie B
10-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Here's everything I can think of my family typically has for Thanksgiving/Christmas meals. Turkey (with gravy and with cranberry sauce), mashed potatoes, carrots, corn, sweet potatoes, turnips, stuffing (we just use Stove Top), devilled eggs, cheese and pickles tray, Pillsbury croissants (or vienna loaf), some type of salad, and several desserts, usually a couple of different types of pie, a cake, and some baking. I know you're obviously not going to make all of that, but that's just everything I can think of.

Also, you can buy a turkey that comes with a thermometer that pops out when it's done. The ones at Save-A-Lot across the river come with them, along with a cooking times chart on the back to give you an idea of how long to cook it. I think they're only $1.09 or $1.19 a pounds regular price.

SIMBA
10-09-2008, 11:12 PM
no need to do instant,, you can use intant package as a flavor inhancer,,,,once you take your turkey out of the pan, put the pan on the stove over med heat,,, take a spatula, and stir, tipping the pan to put the liquid onto the dark stuff on the sides, and scrape that off into the liquid, ,,, after you have done as much as you can to scrape the drk, stuff off, ,,, transfer this liquid into a pot. have your flour and water in a jar,, put the flour in first ,,, then the cold water, and shake the heck out of it,,,it shouldn't be too runny or too thick,,,??,,, trial and error,,,,.you can always make more flour and water,,,. reserve your water from your potatoes, and add it to the turkey stock,,, this would be when you would add the pkg. flavouring,....when this is warm, add your flour and water, gradually with a wisk, wisking constantly,,,,, salt and pepper,you are good to go!!

I don't mean to be rude, are you making gravy or paper mache?lol
I'll tell you my wife can make a gravy that would knock your socks off and no flour involved.

FOR A PRICE I may get her to share.:laughm:

Jackie B
10-09-2008, 11:17 PM
I always strain my turkey drippings before making the gravy. Lumps are gross. LOL I also use cornstarch instead of flour. I've never heard of using flour before. Does it work just as well?

EyelashExtensions
10-10-2008, 12:09 AM
I cooked my first turkey last year and it turned out great! My gravy on the other hand was a nightmare! SO if your not great at making gravy, I suggest you cheat and buy some in a can or the just add water stuff. The stuffing was also a pain for me, just cause I wanted my moms and was not sure how to make it. Really there isn`t much effort to cooking a turkey. Good luck.

Jackie B
10-10-2008, 12:41 AM
I actually took a picture of my first attempt at gravy, it was so bad. I used it in a forum as my avatar, and my caption was "Would you care for a slice of gravy?"

So my tip is this...as you add the cornstarch or flour mixture to the turkey drippings, DO NOT add lots more if it doesn't thicken instantly. Give it a couple of minutes. :)

Xzavia
10-10-2008, 10:42 AM
The main thing with gravy is once you put your flour/water in, DO NOT STOP stirring/whisking it until it's starts to bubble/boil, otherwise you'll get lumpy, no good gravy.

I make pretty darn good gravy according to my hubby, but one thing I make sure I do is to have a cup of water right close by incase it starts getting to thick before it bubbles, add some water to it and KEEP stirring. The time it takes to leave the pot and grab some extra water from the tap is enough time to get lumps.

Good Luck, and anyone offering to bring something...take full advantage of it. (One less thing you have to do! ;-)

MaO3
10-10-2008, 11:10 AM
I used flour and water for my gravy too. Or I cook butter and flour into a rue, of course its more difficult so I would stick with either cornstarch and water or flour and water.
The trick with flour and water is just like Xzavia said, shake it till you can't shake no more and while your slowly adding it to your "Boiling" drippings, keep stirring!!

MissMuffett
10-10-2008, 02:48 PM
order kfc and reheat it :D
lol

Tutones
10-10-2008, 03:57 PM
M&M's has a great stuffed turkey breast. All white meat, too. Cook up a couple of those if you don't want to do a whole turnkey.

TREEFROG
10-10-2008, 04:11 PM
M&M's has a great stuffed turkey breast. All white meat, too. Cook up a couple of those if you don't want to do a whole turnkey.

You'll have to teach me how to cook a TURNKEY :)