PDA

View Full Version : what can I do with cooked beets?

tasma
10-15-2008, 10:57 PM
I have beets that are boiled and I don't know what to do with them now, any ideas?

chase_me
10-15-2008, 11:46 PM
you can pickle them

Tutones
10-16-2008, 03:05 AM
Yep, pickle them.

chrism4
10-16-2008, 06:47 AM
depends how many beets you have leftover.......if there's just a few......pickle them, or add them to a pickle jar with juice.
If you have a lot.....there's beet soup, or borscht(sp)

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
3 pounds bone-in beef shank
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
6 cups water
1/2 pound carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 stalks celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/3 medium head cabbage, shredded
1 pound beets, peeled and shredded
1 cup tomato juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons white sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS
In a large pot over medium heat, brown beef in oil. Stir in onion and water, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 2 hours, until meat is tender.
Remove meat from broth and set aside to cool slightly. Stir carrots, celery, cabbage, beets, tomato juice, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper into broth. When meat is cool enough to handle, cut meat from bone and into bite-size pieces and return to soup. Simmer until vegetables are tender, 20 to 30 minutes.

tasma
10-16-2008, 07:13 PM
I love pickled beets but I would have enough for maybe a large jar, I don't want to go through all that work for one jar. I would like a recipe for them to be cooked up with something else as a side dish.

Luv to be on the GO
10-16-2008, 11:42 PM
My daughter has a wonderful receipe for a beet and potatoe salad ...but it`s too late to give it to you because you have to boil the potatoes in WITH the beets .....it is SO good !!!!

H.E. Pennypacker
10-19-2008, 06:23 PM
put butter on them and eat them!

AmdWolfman
10-19-2008, 06:44 PM
I had bought a jar of pickled beets, I ate the whole jar. I didn't want to dump the juice . So I took my white t-shirt off and crammed it in the jar and left it for about a month in the fridge. Took it out let it dry on the shower rod. It was a real nice purple.I wore it to work and when it got hot i took my jacket off. LMAO, when I got home standing in front of the mirror , . Won't do that again. But I do still like pickled beets.

Asparas
10-20-2008, 02:16 PM
I pickle some and slice the rest and fry them on a pan in butter and spice them with garlic powder, onion powder, and a bit of salt. They are so so so yummy that way.