PDA

View Full Version : 360 garbage

Ultra54
10-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Well my kid finally got over the 20 hrs of use on his 2 year old 360 and the dvd drive ate his and my favourite game GTA4. How long is the warrantee on the POS? Can the disc be repaired, it has a nice set of rings 1/8th inch wide around the circumfrance. It only did it to that game and the unit was standing on its edge as opposed to flat.

B.David
10-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Microsoft will issue a replacement to you for $35, even though its their console that caused the damage. I suggest renting the game at Blockbuster and switching the disc.

Edit:

1 Year Warranty
3 Years Warranty for 3RLOD

mboy67
10-19-2008, 11:20 AM
from my experience that will happen if the unit is bumped while having a disk in the machine. I know of several disks from people I know that after they bumped the 360 while on that the disks got scratched.

AmdWolfman
10-19-2008, 01:35 PM
sux for 360 owners. I can almost kik mine won't hiccup once.

mercifulpenguin
10-19-2008, 01:41 PM
microsoft has implemented a stricter enforcement regarding the rating system
is your kid over 17 years old? If not, he shouldn't have been playing the game - that could be why it self-destructed

Ultra54
10-19-2008, 02:56 PM
The machine never budged, I was right there when it began making the horrid noises. I like the rental idea.

AmdWolfman
10-19-2008, 03:26 PM
lol, good idea,lmao.

General Lee
10-19-2008, 03:37 PM
did u get the warentee from en games?

AmdWolfman
10-19-2008, 04:13 PM
I learnt my the hardway of not getting insured. not a bad deal for it.

B.David
10-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Whenever I buy 360 games from EB Games, I get the guarantee because of the faulty system. However, I buy most of my games at Rogers, since I get them for $53.99 there.

mercifulpenguin
10-19-2008, 09:39 PM
you do that too the milk too?

sereenie
10-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Eb games is a wonderful place to buy from becuase of there warrenty.
As long as its in one peice they re place it!

Madmax
10-20-2008, 07:50 AM
The 360's of the old days = 2- when first made.. :)

Are known for eating DICS when the dvd drive is going in it.

MS has 1 year on the unit from time of purchase and 3 years since a couple years ago on ANY red ring of death whether it is 1 or 4.

As for reparing the game dvd disc if it is really that bad ... its not worth trying it.

If you bought it form EB games with the scratch warranty. Then they will replace it with another USED (GOOD DISC) game of that game or a new one if they have no used ones, but i do believe there is a PRO RATED charge for a NEW one that is replaced, but i could be wrong on that part.

I forget too if the scratch warranty is only 1 year or not from EB games, again i could be wrong on that part.

Hans
10-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Make a backup of the game. It's the best warranty you can get.

B.David
10-20-2008, 10:40 AM

The 360 eats DICS?

Madmax
10-20-2008, 12:51 PM
The 360 eats DICS?

Yeah the dvd rom unit from before when it is failing it will destroy the disc. I had it happen to me when i had my 360.

I read online about it too and many ppl have had that issue.

AmdWolfman
10-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Glad I didn't buy a 360, first the drive goes and flashes to indicate a problem, now it will destroy a 60 dollar game.

AmdWolfman
10-20-2008, 03:46 PM
is it possible that the unit is more stable laying on the floor or standing on edge,personally I would lay it flat.

B.David
10-20-2008, 04:17 PM
is it possible that the unit is more stable laying on the floor or standing on edge,personally I would lay it flat.

No matter what position you use it in, it will break eventually. It's fate. However, when the system works, it offers some of the best games you'll ever play. I'm thoroughly enjoying Fable II right now. And, Gears of War 2 arrives in 2 more weeks.

Ultra54
10-20-2008, 05:35 PM
This one will go in the garbage and I wont buy another X box p.o.s. **** Micro****.

sereenie
10-20-2008, 05:36 PM

MS has 1 year on the unit from time of purchase and 3 years since a couple years ago on ANY red ring of death whether it is 1 or 4.

As for reparing the game dvd disc if it is really that bad ... its not worth trying it.

If you bought it form EB games with the scratch warranty. Then they will replace it with another USED (GOOD DISC) game of that game or a new one if they have no used ones, but i do believe there is a PRO RATED charge for a NEW one that is replaced, but i could be wrong on that part.

I forget too if the scratch warranty is only 1 year or not from EB games, again i could be wrong on that part.
its 1 year for eb games. for 3 bucks how could u go wrong.

mercifulpenguin
10-20-2008, 08:26 PM
eff eb games and that stupid warranty

Strife
10-20-2008, 10:37 PM
I like the EB Games warranty. Chances are I will never use it but 3 bucks is well worth the comfort it gives you.

B.David
10-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Ultra... your loss. The 360 hardware may suck, but you're simply missing out on a lot of great games. If I were forced to get rid of either my PS3, or my 360, I'd likely give up the PS3. Great system and all, but it doesn't have the same size library and I don't think it will, at least when it comes down to exclusives. And, I'd consider myself more of a Sony fan over Microsoft any day.

Madmax
10-21-2008, 08:18 AM
you can also by a xbox 360 dvd-rom unit off of Ebay to put into it, if thats the issue or perhaps buy a used xbox 360 that is bricked or no good but the rom unit is.

The thing is if you have no warranty left on it. Then you only have a few options or you can simply buy a whole new unit, many ppl who make enough money can do so without issues... :) ... heck why your at it get a PS3 and a Wii too.

Driftwood
10-21-2008, 01:23 PM
Well my kid finally got over the 20 hrs of use on his 2 year old 360 and the dvd drive ate his and my favourite game GTA4. How long is the warrantee on the POS? Can the disc be repaired, it has a nice set of rings 1/8th inch wide around the circumfrance. It only did it to that game and the unit was standing on its edge as opposed to flat.

Blockbuster has a disc resurfacing machine. It costs like $2 or something like that and theres no guarantees, but its worth a shot instead of buying the game new again. Good Luck

filthy
10-21-2008, 04:35 PM
...If I were forced to get rid of either my PS3, or my 360, I'd likely give up the PS3.... And, I'd consider myself more of a Sony fan over Microsoft any day.

lol...apparently not...

Ultra54
10-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.

Hans
10-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Just out of curiosity : if you make a backup copy of the original game, can you use the original disc and swap the discs during game play, or does it check randomly to ensure the original disc is inserted?

B.David
10-21-2008, 06:49 PM
I've tried that since I recently sold my modified 360 and bought a new 60GB. Doesn't work...

Shawn
10-21-2008, 09:39 PM
I was lucky... bought an HDTV last week, moved things around, and unplugged my xbox... plugged things back in and got 3 red rings, turned it off and re-checked the power cable... lucky it was just a loose cable... everything powered back up and now things are awsome in HD. Almost like they are coming off the screen with the graphics.

Madmax
10-22-2008, 07:23 AM
To use a burned disc you need a chip installed and swaping it out with original one will not work in a unmodified one, but if you have the orginal USE it and by from EB games with scratch warranty.

The bets setup to have it TWO xbox 360's 1 x modded and 1 x non modded. This way of course you can play burned on the one and have orginal for the other.

You can play burned discs online, but becareful on what chip you buy as MS catches up sooner or later and will brick the modded xbox 360 and make it useless to run online anymore no matter if you change the chip.

Now the best way to this is have TWO separate Xbox Live accounts two different names, emails and so forth and don't be dumb and use the same credit card or one from same family... :)

Remember TWO boxes make sure it look, smells and acts like a whole new person .... why this is so important is is MS sees a box that is modded and they brick it ... they will brick all accounts made with such name and credit card .. yeah i know it could be a buddy who used your card .... but MS will still brick it until it your buddy calls and explains how come this or that.

BUY the xbox live CARDS thats all never pay with credit card online from MS for anything..... :)

B.David
10-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Damn, learn to condense your posts.

Microsoft bans the console serial number. Done. You can use your same Live account on both consoles, because they don't manually look into every console. I used my same Live account for 8 months on my modded console, which I've now sold.

To use a burned disc you need a chip installed and swaping it out with original one will not work in a unmodified one, but if you have the orginal USE it and by from EB games with scratch warranty.

The bets setup to have it TWO xbox 360's 1 x modded and 1 x non modded. This way of course you can play burned on the one and have orginal for the other.

You can play burned discs online, but becareful on what chip you buy as MS catches up sooner or later and will brick the modded xbox 360 and make it useless to run online anymore no matter if you change the chip.

Now the best way to this is have TWO separate Xbox Live accounts two different names, emails and so forth and don't be dumb and use the same credit card or one from same family... :)

Remember TWO boxes make sure it look, smells and acts like a whole new person .... why this is so important is is MS sees a box that is modded and they brick it ... they will brick all accounts made with such name and credit card .. yeah i know it could be a buddy who used your card .... but MS will still brick it until it your buddy calls and explains how come this or that.

BUY the xbox live CARDS thats all never pay with credit card online from MS for anything..... :)

Strife
10-22-2008, 03:19 PM
I have heard there are ways to un-ban your console if it was banned from xbox live. I have been thinkin about modding my console for a long time but with the RROD so rampant still, I dont want to take the chance of losing a $250 console.

Madmax
10-22-2008, 03:19 PM
B.David

Well tell that to the ppl i know who have had there accounts banned along with bricking of the xbox 360.

Strife
10-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Max....I think you have the meaning of "Bricking" confused. Bricking a console would be rendering it useless, unplayable, and basically making it a paperweight. Being banned from xbox live doesnt render the console useless, make it unplayable, or making it a paperweight.

B.David
10-22-2008, 11:10 PM
I've read nothing substantial about getting the serial number unbanned. Regardless, the console is still worth having even if it's banned from Live. It still functions exactly the same, but prevents access to online updates and features.

And I know over 80 people on a private torrent tracker site that have got banned 360 consoles. And, they use their same XBL account on their new systems, and they have no issues at all.

You'd seem like a much smarter person if you were a blind mute who couldn't use braille or sign.

Madmax
10-23-2008, 07:55 AM
Like i said tell that to the ppl i know who have been bricked (Xbox 360) and BANNED too from xbox live at the sametime.

Strife
10-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Microsoft cannot "brick" your console. Its against the law. When you buy that console, it becomes your property to do whatever you want with. Same thing as a bed. If I buy a bed and decide to modify it so that it has drawers underneath it, can the manufacturer come to my house and break the bed? I dont think so. Either your friends have the meaning of "bricked" confused or simply rely on XBL so much as to rendering the console useless, unplayable, and a paperweight because they cant log on to XBL.

Madmax
10-23-2008, 01:10 PM
No the console is bricked can not go online and their XBL account has been banned where they can't login into it either, even from the website browser. The account can not be accessed at all and this is a few ppl that i know of and it happened to them all within the past year.

They were playing online and the next day both the xbox 360 and accounts were banned/bricked.

Don't ask me how, but they were. The only thing we can come up with is that MS knows/knew what accounts were online at the time of using a modded xbox 360 and the account was banned along with thier xbox 360's bricked.

I rather play it safe and have two accouts ... two xbox 360's one modded and one not.

AmdWolfman
10-26-2008, 02:18 PM
ULTRA, empty your pm box. I got something to show you.

Ultra54
10-26-2008, 02:47 PM
I spent like 15 minutes fumbling around in the poot interface to do just that. I think I got it emptied, try again.

AmdWolfman
10-28-2008, 01:14 PM
nope, it says it's full . something you'll enjoy though.

Ultra54
10-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Honest to god, I have spent 30 minutes again trying to delete the garbage in there and I cant get it to go.

Ultra54
10-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Try again please.

AmdWolfman
10-28-2008, 04:43 PM
i think it worked that time,

\m/ Rich \m/
10-28-2008, 04:45 PM
No the console is bricked can not go online and their XBL account has been banned where they can't login into it either, even from the website browser. The account can not be accessed at all and this is a few ppl that i know of and it happened to them all within the past year.

They were playing online and the next day both the xbox 360 and accounts were banned/bricked.

Don't ask me how, but they were. The only thing we can come up with is that MS knows/knew what accounts were online at the time of using a modded xbox 360 and the account was banned along with thier xbox 360's bricked.

I rather play it safe and have two accouts ... two xbox 360's one modded and one not.

That means the console is banned, not bricked. Console still turns on and plays games, just not online - again: thats a ban, not a brick.

If it was a brick, the console would not load games at all. Simple. Getting your terminology right would make this entire thread a lot more simple.

Hans
10-28-2008, 08:10 PM
I think the price for the Arcade Version is 199$. I don't know how well it stacks up against the other 360 versions in terms of performance and capabilities, but it's relatively cheap. If you mod it and get banned from their online service, you can just buy another one to get around that.
It's really a shame they never developed a way to burn backups with the console itself, linking it to the console so it can not be used in another console. It would be a really handy feature and would not really add anything to the cost.

Ultra54
10-28-2008, 10:00 PM
I got your messages but with nothing in them...lol.

Madmax
10-29-2008, 08:20 AM
Buy two units and mod one is the best way and play the burned ones only for single player and never hook it up/set it up for online play.

The down fatcor is if it dies on you then you will have to buy another one or dvd-rom unit it if failed, but for the price of the cheapest unit . I would buy another entire unit and mod it all voer again. This would suck if the units LIKE MS has this potential failing every 3-6 months, that can be very very very costly and ppl may then think about just buying the games they like instead of burning any.

The other way is like i did i would rent games to try out and if i liked them i would buy the game and you can rent the game in most cases for $15.00 for 30 days from blockbuster, so there was no need for me buying another unit to mod it .

So there is the options ppl have and the burning/modding method can be very very costly in the long run or in many instances a short run with the xbox 360's failure rate.

I may buy another console(s) maybe a PS3 and/or a Wii and/or Xbox 360, but that can get expensive as well as you would have to buy double the games if you have ppl that you know that only have one or the other unit.

Strife
10-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Max......Most of the best mods out there say that the chances of your console being banned from XBL is slim, but possible. If your console does get banned, there are work arounds to getting it unbanned. Also if your hardware were to break down, simply replace the original firmware and ship it off to the graveyard (MS).

Madmax
10-29-2008, 09:08 AM
If it was firmware modded only, but i would prefer a CHIP mod.

Then again i would just rent games like i did before and buy the ones i liked as it is less costly and less of a headache in the short and long run due to MS break downs.

Strife
10-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Well I have had my new console for about 2 months now and after countless hours of playing Rock Band 2 and NHL 09, I still have yet to experience any hiccups *knocks on wood*.

When you hard mod your system, any system, you know you lose ANY type of warranty for that system. Some people would much rather spend $50 on a spindle of DVD's than $50 on any game regardless of whether or not they like it. By the way, does anyone know of anyone that does soft mods for reading burnt games?

Hans
10-29-2008, 08:18 PM
If it was firmware modded only, but i would prefer a CHIP mod.

Then again i would just rent games like i did before and buy the ones i liked as it is less costly and less of a headache in the short and long run due to MS break downs.

360 does not require a chip, as all the protection exists in the DVD firmware. All it needs is modded firmware. For this they have made a small interface that sits in between the DVD drive and the board, allowing you to flash the DVD drive as many times as you like. Since the drive is a standard SATA interface this modification is cheap and require no soldering at all. That's the way it is with the blaster 360 mod anyways.

Madmax
10-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Yeah i know hans you can use firmware, problem is you still have to take the xbox 360 apart to flash the dvd-rom unit = VOID WARRANTY.

A Chip is better, but again VOIDS WARRANTY.

A CHIP can be Upgraded depends on what chip you buy, but as for firmware it is harder to get newer firmware to unlock anything MS does.

Hans
11-02-2008, 01:32 PM
I prefer firmware because chips are rather tricky to solder in place.

Ultra54
11-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Finally got the red ring of death and also found out it will be covered for 3 years so I should be good to return the pos. My kid has been going on and on about Gears 2 so he needs it fixed.

filthy
11-09-2008, 01:08 PM
A CHIP can be Upgraded depends on what chip you buy, but as for firmware it is harder to get newer firmware to unlock anything MS does.

I'd ask you to explain this statement, but you can't. And it's hilarious for you to say MS bricks 360's. A bad modchip install bricks systems.

And yes I have done custom firmware for 360's... run full stealth checks on the ISO's before I burn em and it's been mint for over a year *knocks on wood*

Ultra54
11-10-2008, 10:46 AM
First things first. I hate the fact that I have to bother either fixing/sending this pos away at my cost or worst case scenario buy a new unit because my kid has 10 games that are useless without it. It is just wrong. I wasted 30 minutes on the phone listening to a guy I couldn't understand only to be told their "system" is down and to call back within the next 24 -72 hrs. I can see their "system" is powered by Microscrap. So I go online as per his suggestion only to see that they want to charge me 99 bucks plus shipping to get it fixed. The guy at EB told me it was covered for 3 years with the red ring of death but it still says 99 bucks and out of warranty on their site. Can anyone confirm the 3 year thing?

Strife
11-10-2008, 10:50 AM
When I had my RROD I was told by the rep that RROD errors are covered for 3 years. The website probably doesnt know the difference between the 2 warranties.

AmdWolfman
11-10-2008, 11:57 AM
That RROD seems MS knew about it becuzz they have a phone number and address to send it to. Like 54 said, it's gonna again take money outta his own pocket. I'm glad I didn't jump aboard for them. I'm a PS3 owner if they drop price even more. Good luck after 3 yr warranty is up. They are already down to $199.99 nowadays anyways, thats abit better, then I wouldn't mind the rrod.
I would never buy a used one without the receipt that is a fact.

Ultra54
11-18-2008, 05:27 PM
So after the second attempt I get a guy from customer service I can barely understand. The first guy was good but I never got the confirmation email with the instructions so after a couple of days I call back and get the guy who can barely speak english. It's been 4 days now and no box delivery. It says I have to send it back UPS and when I check online it says there isn't a depot with 35 miles of my postal code. How did you guys deal with this? Is there a way I can send it out UPS from the Soo?

mboy67
11-18-2008, 05:52 PM
ya just go to the purolator office. They handle the local UPS.

mercifulpenguin
11-18-2008, 08:04 PM
sometimes they're good, sometimes not. out of 5 dead 360s, 2 went bad (one time i didnt get the box for like 5 weeks, it was brutal) the other 3 times went well, once it was gone and back (well, a refurbished one came back, but w/e) in under a week

Iverson3k
11-22-2008, 01:42 PM
going on number 5 now.

General Lee
11-22-2008, 10:51 PM
when this one dies i am tossing it and getting a ps3

Strife
11-22-2008, 11:47 PM
I have had my replacement 360 for about 4 months now and not even a hiccup.

Madmax
11-23-2008, 07:13 AM
I am thinking about getting another 360 an elite, but because MS still has any issues with the red lights i am condidering a PS3, then again i don;t know to many people who have a PS3, but i do know of many who have a 360.

Heck i may just get a Wii ... :)

Ultra54
11-23-2008, 10:55 AM
I would get the Wii as there isn't a decent exclusive game on the PS3 yet. I'm still waiting for just the box from these idiots to send it away.

General Lee
11-23-2008, 11:25 AM
just got rock band for the wii its fun

Madmax
11-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Yeah i may get a Wii and and Xbox 360, but the Wii first.

Upper Decker
12-22-2008, 10:29 AM
http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=21114