PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry 2

filthy
10-22-2008, 05:20 PM
Well played it for about a week on XBOX 360 and its awesome. Played it today on the PC and I was averaging 40 FPS @ 100% max settings... 8xAA and 16xAF through Nvidia control panel.

There's no HUD telling you where enemies are, the AI is very good as they will cut and run, trying to flank you. If your going up against several enemies...you better plan your attack lol.

Game controls you for the first 30 mins or so, then your free in a wide open world. At night running around aimlessly is wild. You never know if either faction will ignore you or attack. There are towns with cease fire...found out the hard way as I accidentally fire a pistol and they all came down on me.

All in all it's a pretty game, with great story and diverse gameplay... I will be picking up my pre-order tomorrow for the limited edition and 6hrs extra gameplay on top the many. many hours already available.

V Code
10-22-2008, 07:26 PM
agreed, i had some fun torching the landscape. by far one of the most interesting games of the year

Ultra54
10-22-2008, 11:01 PM
I watched the trailer and it looks good. It almost seems GTA like, is that so?

mboy67
10-23-2008, 12:56 AM
I played for a bit tonight and definitely a excellent game so far.

Ultra54
10-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Turns out there is a widescreen issue in that is simply a 4:3 cropped image.

B.David
10-23-2008, 09:12 PM
I'll try it out at some point. Original FarCry on PC was fun for the first couple hours, then it got too weird.

Madmax
10-24-2008, 07:37 AM
I agree the orginal was weird after a few hours into it. I don't have the new one yet, but i will soon .. soon as i find it available at an online store i like.

Edit:

Ok i found it and will get soon enough to see what game play is really like, so already state the game play is not so good and could have been way better, but i will see for myself.

V Code
10-24-2008, 08:21 AM
yes ultra, its like they took GTA and shoved it in some 3rd world country

i have not played since first day so i still don't know where i am :)

Madmax
10-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Well installing it now.

Boondock
10-24-2008, 02:50 PM
The enemy respawns and long traveling times are killing this game for me. On the bright side Fire is fun as hell.

Madmax
10-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Yeah so far i am not impressed with the game play.

I would rate this game 6/10, graphics are decent to very good, but game play is just not good at all so far.

The weapons accuratcy is low and realizim is not there for many aspects so far in weapons. I shot a rocket propelled grenade at an enemy and he never died, WTF is up with that, so i killed him with my machete.

Long driving times is also a killer to me to get to point a to point b and this is a turn off to many ppl.

Right now i can't seem to get into a certain building to get medical help and its making me mad as there is no icon to allow me into it and i jumped all over the roofs to find a away in and all around it too.

I think i may have to do something first before i can get in and i think i know what it is, but i won't say so here.

If that does not work then i am lost as how to get in.

filthy
10-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Gameplay is very good, maybe just for true gamers only...also it has been available at "online stores" for quite some time.

Madmax
10-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Well so far there is some glicthes in the game as i reloaded my save and i was able to get into that building i needed to get into, the icon showed up then.

Also i am playing on hardcore with no crosshair, also when you get enough diamonds you then can buy upgrades for the weapons accuratcy amongst many other things.

Gameplay is still not impressive at all and the story line is not good either, most true gamers would no this already and those who don't are the ones who never play good games to know the difference.

filthy
10-26-2008, 06:33 AM
Gameplay is still not impressive at all...

In your absent-mindedness you must have been playing Pong and thought it was Far Cry 2 by accident...ooops

filthy
10-26-2008, 06:35 AM
Also there is a V-POV fix for 16:10...that with cold color settings make it a very pretty game, 16xAF and 8xSSAA to boot.

B.David
10-26-2008, 07:50 AM
I've had the game here for 2 days now but haven't tried it. Not working for 2 days though, so there's a good chance I can check it out. :)

Madmax
10-26-2008, 08:37 AM
I am running at 1920 x 1200 on my 24 inch screen that of course is max res for it right from the get go, with np's what so ever or no fixes either.

I get an average 50-70 frames and the lowest i have seen it was around 43 frames in certain areas only, maxed settings (On High or Very High) and thats on DX10 settings and not much difference when on DX9 settings. I am running no AA as at this resolution i don't need it as all looks ok, i don't see any jaggy edges on objects.

I was using fraps to monitor the frames per second.

I see some review sites that i have no idea where they are getting their low frames from for Nvidia and ATI cards as these frames i am getting coem close to what a 4870X2 card was getting and what 2 x GTX 260's were getting.

Now they were usuing Vista 64 bit with sp1 installed an i have the same OS and Sp1 installed, they are using a quad-core (not sure if it was OC'ed) but i am using a E8600 OC'ed to 4.2ghz. They are using DDR3 memory 4GB at 1333 mhz and i am using DDR2 4GB memory running at 800 mhz (The actual rated speed is 1000mhz). They used a lower resolution and with AA/AF on. I am using a way higher resolution no AA and no AF.

They used 8.9 Cat from ATI and so am I for now as CAT 8.10 is out and i may try it. Oh and my Video card is at stock speeds = 1 x HD4850, soon to be 2 x 4850 in the near future.

My monitor has Pixel Mapping, heck if i ran at the resolutions they did = 1680 x 1050 or 1280 x 1024 my frames per second would go through the roof... :)

Check it out here the site i am refering too:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1356796

Now back to the game, so far it still is unimpressive, but getting a little better since i can carry 4 weapons now and buy some accuracty upgrades, but still the driving for miles on end before finding diamonds is a bit to tiresome/boring for me. Its not a game i am getting addicted to like Crysis and Fear and COD4 were to me, game play in Far Cry 2 is like the first one in the same aspects of BORING me.

Who knows maybe it will get better when the flame thrower is introduced to me... :)

Again i rate it at a 6/10 so far, but that may improve over time if the game play gets better.

EDIT:>>>>>>>>>>

Oh i just found this for the 8.10 Hotfix, which i see FPS like that now with 8.9 Cat's ...... hmm i must try out 8.10's to see if they are better, according to this benchmark by the same place i first linked the 8.10's are marginally better, about 10 FPS gain
at the resolutions they ran = 1680 x 1050 and >>>>>>>>> 1920 x 1080.

I must try 8.10 at my resolution 1920 x 1200 to see how much it drops or gains in FPS, which i bet is only abou 2-3 FPS loss and/or 5-8 FPS gain.

http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=341995

Madmax
10-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Here is link for Far Cry 2 ATI hotfix 8.10 for single and crossfire support. The official 8.10 driver does not have this support for Far Cry 2.

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=38664

Madmax
11-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Well i finished this game about 3 min ago.

My rating of 6/10 will go up to a 7/10 as game play was only slightly better when most weapons were bought or mangaed to obtain through missons.

Again its a game i won't buy unless it was selling for $30.00 range.

Anyhoo i am stilling awaiting for COD world at war.

As for Fallout 3, well i may play it some more, but its a game i am already considering unisnatlling it, but i will give it a few more hours of play time to see.