PDA

View Full Version : marinade

kitca
11-03-2008, 11:43 AM
we are not real steak eaters so i dont have much experience. i bought a couple of those t bone steaks that we on sale at no frills a few weeks ago and put them in my freezer. i will be bbqing them for company this weekend, and i want to make sure they are nice and tender.

what do you suggest is the best way to do this? should i thaw them in something to tenderize them or will it just make them soggy. should i beat them with a hammer? i dont want to add too much flavour to them, but i wouldnt mind a bit of marinade flavour. what do you suggest, thanks!

EyelashExtensions
11-04-2008, 11:01 PM
We put very little seasoning on ours, just a little pepper and a tiny bit of garlic powder, we usually put season salt on them when they are just coming off the bbq. Make sure you thaw them without using a microwave(makes them tough). I usually buy portabello mushrooms, wash and slice them into sort of strips(they shrink lots so for our family of 5 I usually buy about 8 goodsize mushrooms) with onion(or alone) and simmer in a pan with a little bit of butter on about 6. Don't put any salt on the steak, dries them out. I used to hate steak until Rob cooked one for me, he can bbq a mean steak. It's simple but it tastes sooooooo good. I think marinades are to strong for steak personally, at least when they are bbq'ed. Some marinades will cause the steak to burn too, if they are sugary etc...Hope this helps

Simba
11-05-2008, 12:09 AM
I use soya sauce, garlic powder, table shake, steak spice.

moochie
11-05-2008, 12:59 AM
just use some red wine for TMI and his choice steaks

kitca
11-06-2008, 07:04 PM
thanks. i didnt realize salt dries them out, ha, i usually salt them, no wonder...

i will be doing tons of mushrooms, but i never thot of the portebello, good idea! ill get them instead of regular ones.

Jackie B
11-06-2008, 09:01 PM
I do mine up in sun-dried tomato salad dressing, usually with bell peppers, and marinade it for 24 hours before cooking. It's to die for.

Andre
11-06-2008, 09:23 PM
marinade is only for cheap cuts of meat

moochie
11-07-2008, 02:54 AM

YEAH TMI likes choice cuts of meat

kitca
11-08-2008, 11:00 AM
yes, i think i remember hearing that about marinade and the cheaper cuts of meat.

we really dont do much steak, especially any 'good' stuff. i just really want these ones to turn out.

Jackie B
11-08-2008, 12:32 PM

Well, snooty-do! LOL People will families of 6-8 generally tend not to want to buy $5.99-$7.99/lb steak. $50 a night for steak dinner isn't my idea of a good time.

Simba
11-08-2008, 12:49 PM
haha agreed. Anytime I've purchased expensive steaks, I found them to be tough and blah. You can do lots with a blade steak if you know how to cook it right.

Jackie B
11-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Yeah, like I said, I marinade with sun dried tomato dressing overnight, and the steak just melts in your mouth. I never ate steak until I discovered this. Now it's a favourite, even my small kids enjoy.

LettuceLady
11-09-2008, 09:46 AM
I remember reading a while back that you can freeze meat in a marinade. Being vegan, Ive never tried it.

Andre
11-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Well, snooty-do! LOL People will families of 6-8 generally tend not to want to buy $5.99-$7.99/lb steak. $50 a night for steak dinner isn't my idea of a good time.

Snooty has nothing to do with it.
If you happen to have some decent steaks; rib eyes, t-bone, strip loin, filet...you're are just defeating the purpose of purchasing a good cut of meat in the first place.

gouligann
11-12-2008, 12:56 PM
If you like Lowry's Seasoning salt, I found a wonderful marinade made by Lowry's for steak and chops. Only problem is, you can only get it in the states (at this time). I get it at Walmart, Soo Mich. Great on steaks, chops or chicken breasts, both as a marinade and also brushed on while you grill them.

It's excellent also with wings in a frying pan.
Fry the wings in margarine or oil until almost fully cooked, pour off the fat, sprinkle with garlic powder, add 1/4 cup Lowry's to the pan on med, and heat until nice and brown. Very yummy.

kitca
11-13-2008, 05:55 PM
thanks

EyelashExtensions
11-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Rib steak is the best cut I find! YUMMMM, my man will not eat anything else unless I make swiss steak

Andre
11-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Rib steak is b;eaaalk
One of the worst cut of meat there is. No doubt you maranite it.

If you roast him a rib-eye for 6-8 minutes on a grill or flash it in a pan.
He will change his mind.

tasma
11-14-2008, 09:59 AM
Gouligan, I buy the Lowrys too I like it but I have never tried it in a marinade. Is it really salty with a 1/4 cup of it? I buy it at the dollar tree for a buck, when they have it.

heintzman
11-14-2008, 09:57 PM
This is the marinade that i use for top sirloin, bone in,,, it is always a hit.
this was the one my mom always used, everyone loved it then , and whenever i use it, people want the recipe.

3tbls. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. garlic salt (or crushed fresh)
1 tbls. paprika
1 tsp. sugar ( i always add a pinch or so more)
1/2 c. oil

mix well, add to meat in a lg. ziploc, marinate for no more than 24 hrs,, but at least 4 hrs.

Asparas
11-19-2008, 10:24 AM
If you know how to cook your steak, you can make any cut taste fantastic and expensive. Also I agree with some when they say that the expensive cuts aren't always the best in taste or texture. I myself whenever I do use a marinade (which is very rare) I use my teryaki marinade which is always a hit at my house. Unfortunately I don't actually use measurements so all I can tell you is the ingredients:

Dark Soy
Light Soy
Brown Sugar (or white if you prefer)
Ginger (you can get fresh but I just use the dried stuff and don't put too much in)
Onion Salt or Powder
Celery Salt or Powder
Minced Garlic or Garlic Paste or Garlic Salt/Powder
Rice Wine Vinegar (or regular Vinegar if you would rather)
**optional**
Roasted Peppers and Garlic Seasoning
Chili and Garlic Sauce

(yes we like Garlic at my House)

And there is your basic teryaki sauce

If I remember correctly, as far as the liquids go, its about 1 part Dark Soy, 3 parts Light Soy, 1 part vinegar. For the spices, no more than a tbsp of each (especially if you use the salt version of any of them) but they are all roughly same in parts, except for the Ginger, whatever you use as a measurement for the rest, use 1/4 to 1/2 of that measurement for the Ginger. The chili and Garlic sauce is very potent, so a little goes a long long way. Marinade for at least 3 hrs. You can use a little bit of Olive Oil to make the marinade go further if need be but I wouldn't unless you have to.

Sorry I don't really have a recipe, I've never used them.