PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Help!

Suze
11-08-2008, 10:44 PM
This is a question for all those awesome photographers we have on here. I have a Canon SD750, and I am trying to figure out the settings to take action photos - specifically at bicycle races where the subject is going by faster. I was told that the shutter speed needs to be faster, but I don't know how to do that. The manual is pretty much useless, as I don't really understand what the terms mean. I think that the shutter speed is related to the ISO settings?
Can anyone give me a relatively dumbed down version of of the settings I should have my camera on to take sports/action photos?

Thanks!

KRP
11-08-2008, 11:32 PM
If you don't want to attempt manual mode you can opt to use the auto mode. You can bump your ISO up, the higher the ISO (your model goes up to 1600) the faster the shutter speed.

mercifulpenguin
11-09-2008, 04:32 AM
shutter speeds are represented by fractions, and are commonly;
1/30, 1/60, 1/125, 1/250, 1/500, 1/1000
as in, 'one thirtieth of a second', you would want the fastest one, in this case, 1/1000th of a second. As for the setting, I don't recall, but it's in manual mode, and that's the number you want to change, the fraction. It should just be with the directional piece/arrows. You'll also have to change the f-stop to allow enough light in (the lowest number f-stop would probably be best)

Suze
11-09-2008, 12:36 PM
I have been using it in Manual mode, so the ISO goes up to 1600 - is this the one I would want to use? Is there anything else that I would need to adjust on the camera as well? There is the option to change the +/- exposure, the option to change it from "evaluative", "center weighted average", or "spot" - I have no idea what those things mean...
Seriously, I have tried to read the manual 4 times and I just don't get it!
I figure with so many good photographers on here, some of you would be able to teach me!

KARM
11-09-2008, 02:15 PM
It's difficult to explain because the manual assumes a certain amount of knowledge about the basics of photography. 1/1000th of a second is overkill for bicycling, I can freeze a Greyhounds slapshot at 1/500th that is probably doing 90-100 MPH.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2120/2352633632_cc8fabbdbb_o.jpg

The +/- is for exposure compensation and the evaluative/spot is metering options. Neither really have anything to do with what you're looking to do.

mercifulpenguin
11-09-2008, 08:03 PM
each camera is different, if you want a more hands-on you might try Blacks in the mall, they're usually pretty good about showing people features and such