PDA

View Full Version : Christmas presents

Macs II
11-11-2008, 10:20 PM
How much are you planning to spend on Christmas presents this year ?

are you cutting down or spending more?

Peety
11-11-2008, 10:22 PM
How much are you planning to send on Christmas presents this year ?

My shopping is all done!!!
I spend the same every year,,

tedmelsault
11-11-2008, 10:24 PM
we are spending 300.00 on each kid we have 3 kids.i think that is pretty good.

Macs II
My shopping is all done!!!
I spend the same every year,,

I've noticed .....older the kids get ...more expensive the gifts are ..so how do you manage to stay the same ?

Luv to be on the GO
I have a limit for each person on my shopping list and I stick to it ( well I try )
I cut out ALL Birthdays this year so I can`t cut back on anything for Christmas
SO I`m not cutting down OR spending more !!!!!

karen1426
11-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Every year I give my 3 kids a new wallet. In that wallet there is gift cards for around town , and some cash. Plus i will buy each of them somthing that they need , and they love it.

Peety
11-11-2008, 10:27 PM
I've noticed .....older the kids get ...more expensive the gifts are ..so how do you manage to stay the same ?

One is a adult.. I buy him tools and cloths and give him money in a card..
The other one is easy to buy for,
Family we have a set limit,,

H.E. Pennypacker
11-11-2008, 10:28 PM
macs: do you secretly work for a marketing company or something? you love asking all the questions...

Simba
11-11-2008, 10:31 PM
I don't buy alot of things for my kids throughout the year with exception of the necessaties. I spend about the same every year. The boys don't get everything they want, but pretty close. I must say though that my boys don't really want for anything. They don't ask for big things. Which is nice. They have a huge family who buys for them also. Hubby and I don't buy for each other. We buy things all year round. We enjoy spending money on the house and renovating and redecorating. I enjoy Christmas and buying things for my boys. I don't get to do it that often.
This year we bought them a new computer. They both use it for school and for learning all about programming etc... so I thought it was a good idea.
My kids appreciate everything they get which makes it all worth it.

Macs II
11-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Every year I give my 3 kids a new wallet. In that wallet there is gift cards for around town , and some cash. Plus i will buy each of them somthing that they need , and they love it.

thats accually a pretty good idea

Macs II
11-11-2008, 10:40 PM
macs: do you secretly work for a marketing company or something? you love asking all the questions...

when you ask questions ..you learn a lot :)

heintzman
11-11-2008, 11:33 PM
so far i have spent $300.00 on each kid = $600.00,,,, there abouts,,, that is their major gifts,,, so about another $200 on small stuff and stocking stuffers,,,they get what they want throughout the year too,,,,,, KIDS,,, they are like DOGS,,, you just love them,, and they love you back,, for a day or two!!

oh yeah,, and then there is the family gift,, this year,, a new computer!! teenagers heaven,, actually a necessesity,,,can't do homework with out it!!

Timbit
11-11-2008, 11:44 PM
im really really cheap. so i look for deals.. this year im shopping onine and than were goin on a trip down south for some more shopping. but personally id rather give a gift or present throughout the year than give them on just 1 day. .. Theres no reason not to show your family and friends are important they are all year around :D . just my opinion :D

Macs II
11-11-2008, 11:46 PM
"KIDS,,, they are like DOGS"

I never though of my kids as DOGS LOL

moochie
11-11-2008, 11:46 PM
im really really cheap. so i look for deals.. this year im shopping onine and than were goin on a trip down south for some more shopping. but personally id rather give a gift or present throughout the year than give them on just 1 day. .. Theres no reason not to show your family and friends are important they are all year around :D . just my opinion :D

Timbit wants aparagus for Christmas :)

Driftwood
11-11-2008, 11:52 PM
I'll be spending as much as I can on my friends and family. Anything to make them happy and show them how much I appreciate all they've done for me.

heintzman
11-11-2008, 11:58 PM
I was just kidding,, about everything,,, just trying to get a rise from MACS,.,.and all i got was that he never thought his kids as dogs,,,, thank the good lord for that ,,,,considering how he rates dogs!!
we try to get our children a big gift each,,, and lots of small stuff,,, they are so excited to open gifts,,,so their favourite shampoo,, or body wash goes a long way!!

she
11-12-2008, 12:08 AM
12 neices and nephews @50.00 ea.
3 godchildren @50.00
4 parents @100.00ea
4 godparents 40.00 ea
8 girlfriends @ 30.00 ea
3 brothers @50.00ea
1 sister @ 50
paperboy 20
6 friends kids @ 30.00 ea
hubby no idea what spending
son 1,000.00 - 1,500.00
daughter same as son
dog 40
My kids are 15 and 20,,,and they ski and snowboard,,,equipment and passes are expensive

she
11-12-2008, 12:10 AM
These are some of the purchases I have already made,,,
Thank you for your life-changing gifts of 3 Soccer Balls, Antibiotics for 10 Children, Goat, School Lunches for 50 Children, Vitamin A, and Protein Fortified Foods from World Vision's Gift Catalogue! Your gifts will be a blessing to children and families in need, and a truly meaningful way to celebrate the promise of hope and new life.

Friends and families names are going on these as donators.

Misschix
11-12-2008, 12:14 AM
I love buying for my kids ALL the time.....

But they have so much stuff
They still are kinda young so I buy them toys and stuff but throw in clothes....saves me from buying them all year round LOL
Hubby always says we should budget at xmas and not buy too much cause they gets lots from everyone else...But I love how excited they get...I love when my son opens his presents and basically throws it away so he can open a new one LOL...or that fact he just prefers the boxes and wrapping paper...LOL

Macs II
11-12-2008, 12:52 AM
12 neices and nephews @50.00 ea.
3 godchildren @50.00
4 parents @100.00ea
4 godparents 40.00 ea
8 girlfriends @ 30.00 ea
3 brothers @50.00ea
1 sister @ 50
paperboy 20
6 friends kids @ 30.00 ea
hubby no idea what spending
son 1,000.00 - 1,500.00
daughter same as son
dog 40
My kids are 15 and 20,,,and they ski and snowboard,,,equipment and passes are expensive

Thats a lot

Macs II
11-12-2008, 12:55 AM
I'm beginning to see why there are so many screwed up kids/teen nowadays

she
11-12-2008, 01:03 AM
None (not one) of the children I buy for is screwed up. What do THINGS have to do with values and morals and knowing right from wrong. My reasons for giving....cause I can....the reason I continue...it's appreciated. Winners all around.

Macs II
11-12-2008, 01:06 AM
None (not one) of the children I buy for is screwed up. What do THINGS have to do with values and morals and knowing right from wrong. My reasons for giving....cause I can....the reason I continue...it's appreciated. Winners all around.

Next Christmas give them $50.00 each and see what happens

moochie
11-12-2008, 01:09 AM
im not spedning a heck of a lot, like anything else its a business tactic

Macs II
11-12-2008, 01:12 AM
you got nobody to buy for

moochie
11-12-2008, 01:12 AM
you got nobody to buy for

sure i do... family

moochie
11-12-2008, 01:13 AM
i usually leave it to like the last week before Christmas anyways, i dont worry this far ahead

Macs II
11-12-2008, 01:15 AM
I forgot ...you're an Italian

moochie
11-12-2008, 01:15 AM
I forgot ...you're an Italian

whats that supposed to mean?

anyways most times i just buy a card or not much so....

she
11-12-2008, 01:16 AM
Mac.....why would I want to do that ? It really makes no sense to me. I get more pleasure out of giving than receiving. It would hurt me more. Whats the point ? This world has enough sorrow. So again.....whats your point ? OH...and I do give generously to charity. So again.....Whats your point ? You just trying to make me feel bad ?

Macs II
11-12-2008, 01:16 AM
Italians have big families

moochie
11-12-2008, 01:17 AM
Italians have big families

well ours is 5 including me :)

Macs II
11-12-2008, 01:18 AM
Mac.....why would I want to do that ? It really makes no sense to me. I get more pleasure out of giving than receiving. It would hurt me more. Whats the point ? This world has enough sorrow. So again.....whats your point ? OH...and I do give generously to charity. So again.....Whats your point ? You just trying to make me feel bad ?

My point is ....they would be very disappointed and they would show it......Christmas isn't about money and gifts

Macs II
11-12-2008, 01:21 AM
well ours is 5 including me :)

not counting all the relatives lol

she
11-12-2008, 01:25 AM
How much are you planning to spend on Christmas presents this year ?

Presents are not all that Christmas is about. So why did you ask that question and then when I answered you try to make me feel bad? Sorry if you dont like my answer. Its my answer. And being a good mom means I dont puposely try to hurt my children. Which is what you suggested I do. Sorry again buddy.

Macs II
11-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Presents are not all that Christmas is about. So why did you ask that question and then when I answered you try to make me feel bad? Sorry if you dont like my answer. Its my answer. And being a good mom means I dont puposely try to hurt my children. Which is what you suggested I do. Sorry again buddy.

I wasn't trying to make you feel bad ....I just thought it was lot of money you spend on presents ......to all those people

moochie
11-12-2008, 01:28 AM
not counting all the relatives lol

i dont buy for relatives just immediate family

Macs II
11-12-2008, 01:30 AM
i dont buy for relatives just immediate family

thats smart ....thats what I do too

Little B
11-12-2008, 01:36 AM
I plan on spending the most on myself! New Camera time!!!

Super Gram
11-12-2008, 07:00 AM
We are GrParents with 4 children to buy for and 5 grands 24-17........we give money.

We bought our oldest Gdaughter a new laptop for her graduation and christmas. Not everyday they graduate a teacher from Lake State.:money:

everywoman
11-12-2008, 07:43 AM
I have to say, I loathe Christmas more and more each year. My family has decided to cut down quite a bit this year. I am making a charitable donation in my parents name, for their gift. My husband and I are not buying for each other, as we do stuff and spend money together all the time, and since my kid is now living on his own in Ottawa, we'll be buying him lots of necessities. That's it, that's all. I don't think going broke so others have something to open is what Christmas is about. I give emotionally, and also monetarily all year long.

Simba
11-12-2008, 08:36 AM
I find that Christmas is more commercialized then ever before!

EyelashExtensions
11-12-2008, 08:42 AM
We are spending less this year, it's easy to not spend lot on my daughter because she never wants anything.The only one I'm spending more on is my man, I was thinking of buying him a drill now I'm thinking of getting him a ps3 or a 360.

Little B
11-12-2008, 09:04 AM
"I give emotionally, and also monetarily all year long." What about physically, can I get a hug lady?

vixen
11-12-2008, 09:41 AM
OOOH! I really cant stand this time of year, Birthdays start to come hard and fast for us this time of year. in Nov there is our daughter, my father, step daughter, me, my mother then Dec, my brother, neice, husband, and sister in law right after christmas. My inlaws go all out for christmas with the grand kids so we really dont worrie about them this time of year. But I hate haveing to go into the stores and hearing the whiny kids "I want that" In a few years people wont even remember that christmas is about family and not how much you can score.

KRP
11-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Haven't even thought about Christmas yet, right now we're focused on our son's birthday that is on Monday. After his birthday then we'll start thinking about Christmas shopping but in the end we're last min. shoppers. See something for one our nieces, nephews or god children and we buy it.

Miles From Nowhere
11-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Historically, I spend in the ballpark of $500 for my daughter. She's the only one I buy for, so Christmas hasn't been too stressful for me. Since I have to ship all the presents, the things I buy are usually small, so $500 is plenty. This year, her mother and I have decided to cut way back, not because we can't afford it but because our daughter is becoming spoiled and is losing touch of the true meaning of Christmas. She is starting to appreciate quantity over quality. We will be putting more thought into our gifts this year and less money.

everywoman
11-12-2008, 11:26 PM
"I give emotionally, and also monetarily all year long." What about physically, can I get a hug lady?

Sure...come a little closer!

Evangeline
11-12-2008, 11:52 PM
We are cutting back, buying for only immediate family and close friends. My fiance's family isn't even buying for each other this year, except for the kids (only 3 kids on his side) which is nice. I'm really starting to dislike the gift giving, and recieving part of Christmas. I had a box of stuff that I couldn't use and didn't want that I gave away after last year. It was almost like a lot of people couldn't find anything for us so they just bought anything so that they had a gift to give us, I would have prefered nothing. And it's almost like people have forgotten how to enjoy each others company and celebrate in a way that doesn't involve gifts.

But I am still excited to put up my tree and decorate and have a big dinner with family, that's how it should be really.

moochie
11-12-2008, 11:53 PM
OOOH! I really cant stand this time of year, Birthdays start to come hard and fast for us this time of year. in Nov there is our daughter, my father, step daughter, me, my mother then Dec, my brother, neice, husband, and sister in law right after christmas. My inlaws go all out for christmas with the grand kids so we really dont worrie about them this time of year. But I hate haveing to go into the stores and hearing the whiny kids "I want that" In a few years people wont even remember that christmas is about family and not how much you can score.

this is a beautiful time of year Vixen :)

bluekrissyspikes
11-13-2008, 12:04 AM
i am hating having to buy a bunch of gifts i can't afford right now. i just have to get for the kids, my parents and my older brother. my other brother is in bc now and he's not too nice anyways so he gets nothing. my older brother always spends a fortune on my kids and then i feel like whatever i got him isn't good enough. it's hard to shop for him cause he has alot of money and buys himself everything he could want/need already. my parents are pretty easy. the kids are getting hardly anything this year and me and hubby aren't going to buy for each other. we started decorating today though. that was fun. we put up some green garland on the tops of the curtains and took out a few other small ornaments. the rest will be put out a bit at a time.

Jackie B
11-13-2008, 12:10 AM
We've always only spent $100 per year per kid for christmas, but keep in mind that's been x 6 kids. LOL I have at times not been able to find enough things that were needed or wanted to even amount to that, so I've given the left over in cash once or twice.

Last year, we bought each child a video set, stuffed their stockings, and then took a trip to Great Wolf Lodge in Traverse City Michigan. We left Christmas Eve morning, and came back Boxing Day. It was the best christmas we've ever had, and they didn't get a bunch of useless stuff that clutters up the house and eventually gets given away, or broken and thrown out. I think we will be focusing on making memories and spending family time from now on instead of accumulating "stuff."

I also really like the idea of the World Vision Catalogue. We are considering that as well, buying an item in each child's name. i think they would be proud to know they were helping someone in a third world country out.

For extended family and friends, we always give a recent family photo that is framed.

Giggle Squirt
11-13-2008, 12:25 AM
For us, Me and my oldest son sit down and make stuff for the grandparents/aunts (my sisters) We make my sisters homemade soap and stuff like that. They really like it. Also we make a special christmas tree decoration for everyone and date it. I don't really buy much. He enjoys it more to sit and make something special then go to the mall. Honestly the mall annoys me. I hate it. This year i am hosting christmas dinner at my house so i am using clear christmas ornamenst, decorated on the inside with the guests name as place cards, that they can then take home and hang on their tree. they are super cute. It has always been more about family then presents to me. My parents didn't have much to give to us when we were kids so every christmas i looked forward to the time we spent together then what was under the tree. I have more memories of making home made garland and making apple sauce/cinnamon decorations and stuff like that then what i got and that is what i want my son to have. When he is 25 i want him too look back and remember the fun times we had making stuff and decorating and helping out with different charities and stuff during the holidays then what he got under the tree. This year the big thing is that my mom is obsessed with the cloth bags, so we got some plane canvas bags, and i had my son draw pictures on plain paper and then transfered the pictures to an iron on transfer and put them on the bags. They are super cute and my mom will love to show them off! My dad is the only one we really bought for, but myself and my sister went in on the gift and got him some accessories for his atv.

Misschix
11-13-2008, 01:16 AM
I hope Lynys and Keebler buy me LOTS for christmas........

Sophie's_Mommy
11-13-2008, 11:11 AM
this yr im cutting back, i have a limit for everyone,

My Sisters_-50 bucks each x3
My parents -100 each
Hubby's sisters- 50 each x3
Hubby's papa - 50 bucks.
My daughter- 500 ( she'll on;y be 6 months and wont even know whats happening so it'll be cheap this year for her)
My aunt/godmother- 50 bucks

thats what i plan anyways, it may go a diffrent way.lol

Babzz
11-19-2008, 02:00 AM
just buying for my son this year.. As long as he has a good christmas all is good

adigirl
11-19-2008, 04:59 AM
Ava = 200.00
Max = 600.00 (only because he is getting a Wii this year - 400 for system and one game)
Parents = 100 each + 50 for dad's birthday (dec 31)
Uncle = 50
Sister = 50 + 50 for her birthday (xmas day)
Nephew = 200
papergirls = 30
mailperson = 20
garbage guys = 20
teacher = 30
EA = 30
Daycare provider = 50
Kris Kringle @ work = 25
Christmas Dinner = 100
Overseas family = 150 (shipping is a bugger!!!!)

Hans and I are not exchanging gifts this year because we are looking at getting a flatscreen tv in the new year.

And as for spoiling your kids, the way I see it is that they are given gifts as privileges and if they earn keeping them GREAT, but they can always be taken away as a consequence for behavior and then earned back.

Chaotic Chick
11-19-2008, 06:57 AM
I have already spent more than I wanted to on Christmas. Yesterday, I got my husband a new flat panel tv, which was $1200. Eeeeeeeek lol. We spent $400 on my 18 year old, $150 on the 16 year old so far (got her an iPod and then we are spending $1100 on a plane ticket to come and visit since she moved in with her biological father in BC last year), $150 on our 12 year old and we have not got our son anything yet. I will probably get the shaft and get hardly anything lol. Not that I care... the ticket for my daughter to visit us would be a Christmas present for me as well. :)