PDA

View Full Version : Slingbox streaming

GenieS
11-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Is there anyone else out there with a Slingbox? I recently got one to connect the Expressvu receiver with my laptop via my router. Specifically: receiver to Slingbox to Slinklink to router. Connections are fine. Reception is perfect all day until...exactly 5:04 pm - every day! Streaming speeds go from approx 2400-2800 kbps all day, to 200-800 kbps at 5:04 pm. That's when the picture freezes, and subsequently the Slingplayer cannot 'find' the Slingbox. All evening. In the morning it starts up like nothing happened. What gives? Thoughts?

11-13-2008, 10:29 AM
Auto updates? Seems like something else that is attached to the router. Perhaps a computer update, router or the sling itself.

403_forbidden
11-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Did you look to see if there are firmware updates for the slingbox?

GenieS
11-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks for suggestions.
Because of the timing - exactly same time each day - I thought of automated updates or tasks. Checked task manager - nothing. Checked antivirus scans - nothing. Then eliminated possibility of source lying within computer, as it happens whether I use Slingplayer on laptop or on desktop. I did update Slingbox firmware last week. Don't know how to check out router further. I have gone to the router IP address and looked at all the settings etc., but don't see anything unusual.
Further thoughts welcome.

GenieS
11-21-2008, 08:47 AM
For those who tried to help - thanks. The culprit was: a small table lamp in the hallway, timed to come on at 5:00, and plugged in to an outlet on the reverse of the wall, back to back with the Slingbox/Slinglink electrical outlet. That was enough to interfere with the signal transmission via the Slinglink.

Lollypop
12-07-2008, 11:47 AM
I didn't think to check around here for the slingboxs, how is the quality when you are out of town.

GenieS
12-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Lollypop: I haven't yet tried to use it from out of town, but hope to experiment next week. It works like a charm on my home network.

Lollypop
12-29-2008, 08:23 PM
I bought my hubby a slingbox solo for Christmas and he loves it. He was able to use it in the Toronto airport and also in Fort McMurray. My only complaint is that only one laptop can be connected at a time.