PDA

View Full Version : Essar

great body
11-14-2008, 08:21 AM
Heard through a reliable source today layoffs are coming today, hope not!

Simba
11-14-2008, 08:24 AM
What an awful time of year to do that! I hope it's not true.

GRUMPY
11-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Heard through a reliable source that there was supposed to be a major earthquake in California last week too. Till it does happen (which it will) its all rumours and does nothing but upset people to pass them on.

adigirl
11-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Agreed

kodak57
11-14-2008, 09:15 AM

is this a soonews scoop?we all know they are comming..............

somethingunusual
11-14-2008, 10:46 AM
I heard from a reliable source that they just offered 200 men with 30 years + of service exit bonuses. Sounds to me like they would wait until they see who bites before they lay people off. At least I hope that's the case for everyone who is affected by this.

b&aMom
11-14-2008, 11:42 AM

And that reliable source is....? I really hope your source is truly reliable, because if not, you're starting up a lot of grief for us again.

I'm more inclined to believe along the lines of what somethingunusual posted.

Strife
11-14-2008, 11:48 AM

a reliable source? Until you have some breaking news story or other hard evidence, this rumour you are starting is as useless as a sleepover at Michael Jackson's

cheeky
11-14-2008, 12:03 PM
I heard from a reliable source that they just offered 200 men with 30 years + of service exit bonuses. Sounds to me like they would wait until they see who bites before they lay people off. At least I hope that's the case for everyone who is affected by this.

A friend of mine's husband was offered an exit bonus for retiring...he's taking it and getting the heck out...hopefully enough people will take it and reduce the amount of layoffs if there are going to be any!

kodak57
11-14-2008, 12:16 PM
there is NO reliable sourse until the powers that be make that decision,until then all speculation,yes we all know about pension offer by now,since it happened wed,lets let the people who make that decision,make it until then we will sit quietly by and wait,odd that the pension offer is only good for 200 tho.

b&aMom
11-14-2008, 01:01 PM
steve, 200 early retirements @ $20,000 incentive = $4 million. Maybe that's what they can afford to pay out at this time, for this action? It only makes good business sense to try and keep the young guys, especially apprentices that were sorely needed, when the bulk of the workforce is so close to retirement. But then, I'm sure you already know that.

kodak57
11-14-2008, 01:31 PM
i dont think to many "young" people will remain even if 200 jump at the retirement incentive.jmo,as for what can be afforded i dont think even the 4mil can be afforded, essar steel algoma is mortaged to the max now,and if you dont believe that go to the website and check out financial reports.

rmkryan
11-14-2008, 01:43 PM
As someone who does work there, there is an incentive for people able to retire to take. $4 million is not alot for a multi billion dollar organization. I heard rumours of layoffs yesterday, and to be honest I'm scared for my job. I did get bounced from one department to another starting Monday. This shows me they are doing what they can to keep people employed and the place going. You do have to respect that. I believe that they are going to leave the retirement package on the table for a week or two before they start laying off. At this point, it's a wait and see game.

b&aMom
11-14-2008, 02:14 PM
rmkryan, are you in production, or a trade?

rmkryan
11-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Production.

Jack Daniel
11-14-2008, 03:48 PM
US Steel (Stelco) just announced yesterday that they will be laying off 200 people in Hamilton starting next week. Lets hope 200 Essar retirees will be an adequate substitute for laying anyone off. New employees shouldn't worry anyway, with profit sharing, EI & living within a budget you can easily weather any short term layoff.

Hans
11-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Hopefully all works out for out brothers and sisters over at Essar Algoma Steel.

moochie
11-14-2008, 04:43 PM
Hopefully all works out for out brothers and sisters over at Essar Algoma Steel.

yeah i hope so too but I heard Macs wants to get in there :)

Macs II
11-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Macs wont even go near that toxic waste site

Ultra54
11-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Is it the same source where soonews got their info of 1750 jobs 5 weeks back...lol? I heard from a source today that nobody's getting laid off. This from an FLS that attended a meeting just this morning with Essar officials. I also know we are soon going to hear about a nice profit sharing cheque coming our way from this toxic waste site.

Craig Huckerby
11-14-2008, 06:15 PM
3500 were notified of layoff did they not Ultra54? I rest my case.

moochie
11-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Is it the same source where soonews got their info of 1750 jobs 5 weeks back...lol? I heard from a source today that nobody's getting laid off. This from an FLS that attended a meeting just this morning with Essar officials. I also know we are soon going to hear about a nice profit sharing cheque coming our way from this toxic waste site.

see it when it comes

Jack Daniel
11-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Ultra54, Don't believe half of what you read on Soonews.ca. Especially any of Craig's "Enquirer" like headlines.

Craig Huckerby
11-14-2008, 06:27 PM
here we go again....everything we published is based on fact, if you guys have not heard of pending layoffs ask someone about it. Once again, I'll repeat that at no time did SooNews ever say there would be 1,000 plus layoffs. Please get your facts straight before you start accussing me of "enquirer headlines"

moochie
11-14-2008, 06:31 PM
as long as the company doesnt mess up pensions

Jack Daniel
11-14-2008, 06:45 PM
here we go again....everything we published is based on fact, if you guys have not heard of pending layoffs ask someone about it. Once again, I'll repeat that at no time did SooNews ever say there would be 1,000 plus layoffs. Please get your facts straight before you start accussing me of "enquirer headlines"

If all your news is based on fact, then how come none of these "facts" were ever confirmed by the company. In fact, here is what the company stated through two reputable news agencies regarding your reporting.

Source 1 - Stenta has labelled rumours of large layoffs as "irresponsible."

Source 2 - A report published last night by another local online news source, suggesting that the production cutbacks could result in as many as 1,000 layoffs, has been dismissed by the company as irresponsible reporting.

Here's a quote right from Soonews that proves they just through out "enquirer" type news with no merit to it. At least this time the admitted it.

"Further to our first report, SooNews.ca mistakenly reported that Brenda Stenta said the notice was required two weeks in advance, Stenta contacted SooNews.ca Friday morning that information was not correct."

Keep up the good work Craig

Craig Huckerby
11-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Okay Mr. Put words in my mouth lol! Let's look back on what really happened. We recieved information that there could be more than 1,000 jobs cut at Essar. We report that - not confirmed by the company. The next day the CEO issues a letter outling the grave situation and that layoffs are possible hmmm? three weeks later a notice of layoff is issued by the company --hmmm again? oh, it's 3500 people that were notified that a layoff is possible - that pretty much confirmed what we reportred three weeks earlier - not to mention all other media picked up the story, not to mention two special union membership meetings were called to deal with pending layoffs - confirmed again. Now if this didn't transpire I have a very active imagination it seems - in reality though it's called facts confirmed. Under stand that Mr Daniels? Ultra? So yes, I will keep up the good work Thanks I should also add that Ms Stenta and I have talked since we published that and once again she could not deny to me that there won't be any layoffs.

moochie
11-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Okay Mr. Put words in my mouth lol! Let's look back on what really happened. We recieved information that there could be more than 1,000 jobs cut at Essar. We report that - not confirmed by the company. The next day the CEO issues a letter outling the grave situation and that layoffs are possible hmmm? three weeks later a notice of layoff is issued by the company --hmmm again? oh, it's 3500 people that were notified that a layoff is possible - that pretty much confirmed what we reportred three weeks earlier - not to mention all other media picked up the story, not to mention two special union membership meetings were called to deal with pending layoffs - confirmed again. Now if this didn't transpire I have a very active imagination it sems - in reality though it's called facts confirmed. Under stand that Mr Daniels? Ultra? So yes, I will keep up the good work Thanks I should also add that Ms Stenta and I have talked since we published that and once again she could not deny to me that there won't be any layoffs.

yeah theyre probably vegue cause they dont know the future.

what i think is there will be layoffs like the Tube Mill had and such, to what extent im not sure as long as they dont mess up the pensions, i know that they could be stingy and cheap with their money

Muffin
11-14-2008, 07:21 PM
well, my hubby just called from work, he's been there 4.5 years...not looking good after the next block.

moochie
11-14-2008, 07:24 PM
well, my hubby just called from work, he's been there 4.5 years...not looking good after the next block.

thats just terrible

moochie
11-14-2008, 07:31 PM
ITS JUST too bad cause i wanted to work in there, but wasnt given the chance, not even at anything... cause i know the moneys good for this city one of the best paying places but with this sole industry city is reliant on the one industry, they can take you for a ride as much as they want

Nihilistic Heathen
11-14-2008, 07:33 PM
If all your news is based on fact, then how come none of these "facts" were ever confirmed by the company. In fact, here is what the company stated through two reputable news agencies regarding your reporting.

Source 1 - Stenta has labelled rumours of large layoffs as "irresponsible."

Source 2 - A report published last night by another local online news source, suggesting that the production cutbacks could result in as many as 1,000 layoffs, has been dismissed by the company as irresponsible reporting.

Here's a quote right from Soonews that proves they just through out "enquirer" type news with no merit to it. At least this time the admitted it.

"Further to our first report, SooNews.ca mistakenly reported that Brenda Stenta said the notice was required two weeks in advance, Stenta contacted SooNews.ca Friday morning that information was not correct."

Keep up the good work Craig

I don't know if I would call sootoday a "reputable news agency". LMAO Usually it's sootoday that has "enquirer" type news headlines not to mention some of the pictures they post with their news articles.

moochie
11-14-2008, 07:34 PM
that place has been taking ppl for rides since the get go.. look at those lost shares they had in trust that couldnt sell when they wanted to, that was like just one example of the nonsense

moochie
11-14-2008, 07:35 PM
I don't know if I would call sootoday a "reputable news agency". LMAO Usually it's sootoday that has "enquirer" type news headlines not to mention some of the pictures they post with their news articles.

Yes, Sootodays makes fun of things, could be anything DUI'S criminal offences anything with the police or whatever.,..

Jack Daniel
11-14-2008, 07:40 PM
I don't doubt that there is a possibility of layoff in some form or another. I just think it's a joke how you report that 1000 or even as much as 1750 employees may be laid off with no confirmation of that news from the company or the union and call that good reporting.

If you understood the CBA you would realize that if they want to layoff, say 500, that they can't just layoff the last 500 new hires. There are lines of sequence and bumping rights involved. This is why they must notify everyone. Then, in the event there are major layoffs, everyone affected would have been given prior notice. This doesn't suggest the company is about to layoff 3500 people just because they were all notified.

Perhaps a little research or confirmation of facts may put a little merit in your reporting.
or.. you could simply change the site to Soorumours.ca

moochie
11-14-2008, 07:43 PM
I don't doubt that there is a possibility of layoff in some form or another. I just think it's a joke how you report that 1000 or even as much as 1750 employees may be laid off with no confirmation of that news from the company or the union and call that good reporting.

its all to get ppl worked up

J*B
Whoever the so called "reliable source" was that said there would be layoff's TODAY was obviously wrong and that was the topic of this thread!
It's going in a different direction now and I don't see any point in letting it continue into a bash fest or otherwise.
As far as possible layoff's happening, we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Ultra54
Craig, I know what media is all about and sensational headlines sell. Why do you figure Sootoday or the Sault Star waited for an official announcement before even mentioning it, let alone putting numbers like 1000 or 1750 or 50% reduction. Do you think your site is just a better news source than these ones? I'm sorry if you don't like my interpretation of what or how it went down but thats how I see it and you needn't take it personally or stoop to personal attacks.We are intellegent enough to enterpret Essars "spin" as you have called it. In hind site we would have all had a clearer picture of the truth if you just let Essar tell it first as they are doing all they can to minimize layoffs just like their "spin" had read.

Shawn
11-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Craig, I know what media is all about and sensational headlines sell. Why do you figure Sootoday or the Sault Star waited for an official announcement before even mentioning it, let alone putting numbers like 1000 or 1750 or 50% reduction. Do you think your site is just a better news source than these ones? I'm sorry if you don't like my interpretation of what or how it went down but thats how I see it and you needn't take it personally or stoop to personal attacks.We are intellegent enough to enterpret Essars "spin" as you have called it. In hind site we would have all had a clearer picture of the truth if you just let Essar tell it first as they are doing all they can to minimize layoffs just like their "spin" had read.

But who knows... if they had not broke the story, Essar may have taken a different direction and just laid off employees... They may have waited a day for a response to regroup after seeing the responce to that story, but you will never know now... Personally I think its good that someone is not just following the press releases... if we all just read press releases we could be fed bs all day long and never know it.