PDA

View Full Version : New laws for young drivers

Huggy85
11-16-2008, 09:17 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/news/columnists/michele_mandel/2008/11/16/7427961-sun.html

Tougher laws mean zero tolerance for alcohol, speeding, passengers

"But now, along with not being able to talk on their cellphones or text message, young drivers will be under new rules that will extend the time they are not allowed to consume any alcohol, rack up any speeding tickets or fill their cars with friends."

Simba
11-16-2008, 10:02 PM
As usual it had to take tragedy to get anything done.

great body
11-16-2008, 10:32 PM
Has the new law been introduced to be fined while driving and speaking on a cell phone?

GRUMPY
11-16-2008, 10:48 PM
has't been passed yet but I am of the opinion that its a waste of time and effort as t won't be enforced so all it does is add yet another useless law to the books. why not just try and enforce the laws we already have and not add these. All they are good for is for PR so some local yokel can get their grinning mug in the paper. When was the last time you heard of anyone getting pulled over for smoking in their car while the kids were with them or some transport pulled over?

moochie
11-17-2008, 12:11 AM
sounds good

dancingqueen
11-18-2008, 02:55 AM
I can understand the speeding and alcohol thing, but the limit to how many people can be in the car??? that is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

"hey buddy, can I get a ride home? It's puring out"
"Sorry, my under 19 slot has been filled, but if you where my brother it would reduce the risk of me getting into an accident"
how logical is that?

Madmax
11-18-2008, 07:54 AM
Even if there licence was taken away>>>>>>>> How many reports is there of teens driving with a suspended licence? >>>>>>> Thousands.

As for how mnay people they can carry >>>>>> well they can carry in most modern cars with seatbelts arond 5 people total in th car including the driver any more then this is already a violation unless there is more seats/seatbelts for people in a vehicle such as a van, but as for trucks and modern cars it is much less for trucks.

We have seen it many times (IN THIS TOWN) where a truck full of teens (IN CAB) is driving around and there is also 4-6 people in the trucks box and this is a major violation in itself, but where are the police when you need them, most likely eating dounuts and drinking coffee. I just seen this occur about two saturdays ago and sure enough no cops around.

Point its there is not enough law enforcement to drive around to catch everyone breaking the law and until there is a 2-1 ratio cops being the 2 of that ratio, we will never see many people being caught unless they do some kind of a blitz every week.

Peety
11-18-2008, 10:04 AM
I can understand the speeding and alcohol thing, but the limit to how many people can be in the car??? that is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

"hey buddy, can I get a ride home? It's puring out"
"Sorry, my under 19 slot has been filled, but if you where my brother it would reduce the risk of me getting into an accident"
how logical is that?

When I paid for driving school and let my son have my car I did not want a car load of teenagers,,
It was not too bad they all had their parents vehicles.
Kids in our area were to busy on 4 wheelers and dirt bikes to drive around in one car.
I know that any more than 2 kids they seem to want to show off..

dancingqueen
11-18-2008, 10:43 AM
When I paid for driving school and let my son have my car I did not want a car load of teenagers,,
It was not too bad they all had their parents vehicles.
Kids in our area were to busy on 4 wheelers and dirt bikes to drive around in one car.
I know that any more than 2 kids they seem to want to show off..

I understand the whole audience thing, and how the more people, the more likely to engage in reckless acts, but why should it matter how many people in the car are family members? why is someone less likely to get into an accident if they have one 16 year old friend, and a 16 year old brother than if they had 2 16 year old friends?
There is just no logic to that one aspect.

Peety
11-18-2008, 10:46 AM
[QUOTE=dancingqueen;367307]I understand the whole audience thing, and how the more people, the more likely to engage in reckless acts, but why should it matter how many people in the car are family members? why is someone less likely to get into an accident if they have one 16 year old friend, and a 16 year old brother than if they had 2 16 year old friends?
There is just no logic to that one aspect.[/QUOTE

Kids will be kids and they like to show off and fool around,
I can understand family members should be allowed.

dancingqueen
11-18-2008, 10:59 AM
so, how is someone less likely to get into an accident if they have one 16 year old friend, and a 16 year old brother than if they had 2 16 year old friends? I'm genuinely curious, I don't understand the logic

hp2
11-18-2008, 11:01 AM
cause a brother or sister are more likely to rat them out to mommy and daddy....

hp2
11-18-2008, 11:01 AM
I know I would rat my brother out far faster then I would my friend... as I did many many times lol..

Peety
11-18-2008, 11:02 AM
so, how is someone less likely to get into an accident if they have one 16 year old friend, and a 16 year old brother than if they had 2 16 year old friends? I'm genuinely curious, I don't understand the logic

I know of a young man had a car load of his friends and they were fooling around and hit a hydro pole,,
What friend is going to tell the parents,,

I think they would behave with family members .

Dq do you have teenagers?

hp2
11-18-2008, 11:03 AM
lmao peety he is 1

Peety
11-18-2008, 11:06 AM
lmao peety he is 1

Ha,Ha,,,,,,

dancingqueen
11-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Actually I am a 29 year old man who has no kids, but I was a teenager once... what does this have to do with anything???
hp2, you ought to know I am not a teenager, why do you say that?

hp2
11-18-2008, 11:09 AM
LOl I know Dancingqueen..... But 29 and male is like being a 16 yr old female.. LMAO OH and im only joking around...

Peety
11-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Actually I am a 29 year old man who has no kids, but I was a teenager once... what does this have to do with anything???
hp2, you ought to know I am not a teenager, why do you say that?

Did you use your parents car?
I know when I was a teenager I never had my dad's car...

SusyQ
11-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Or on another note BIG BROTHER OR BIG SISTER could be their idol and the sibling would go along with the other too think that its cool too do what BIG BROTHER OR SIS DOES!

Peety
11-18-2008, 11:13 AM
LOl I know Dancingqueen..... But 29 and male is like being a 16 yr old female.. LMAO OH and im only joking around...

HA,HA all males!!!!!
Good one Hp

dancingqueen
11-18-2008, 11:17 AM
No, I never used my parent's car, as a matter of fact I never got my own license until I was about 20. just wasn't on my list of priorities.
hp2, I wish I was still 16 :( Time goes by way too fast

SusyQ
11-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Yeah time goes by too damn quick especially when little ones are involved.

Peety
11-18-2008, 11:19 AM
No, I never used my parent's car, as a matter of fact I never got my own license until I was about 20. just wasn't on my list of priorities.
hp2, I wish I was still 16 :( Time goes by way too fast

Thats the differance we didn't have our parents car to go riding around in.
The extra insurance was expensive and most parents couldn't be bothered,,

Peety
11-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Tell me about it!! Time flies..

You must soon be ready for a pension?:wink:

hp2
11-18-2008, 11:38 AM
ID say TIME flys.. I have 6 months to go and ill be 30 damnit... errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I had a g1 at 16, was not allowed to drive by myself till I was 17, and at that age my boyfriend (husband now) lived with me and my parents and had his own vehicle and 4 my 18th birthday he bought me a chev tracker.. so I would drive his stuff before he bought me my own I also moved out of my parents at 18.. never drove my parents.. only for road test I took my moms car that was it..... and did I fool around YUP I sure did... but so did my husband.

Simba
11-18-2008, 11:42 AM
You guys are making me feel old...lol

hp2
11-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Simba.. you are only as old as you wanna be.... if you cant stay young forever you can always stay imature. :)

Peety
11-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Simba.. you are only as old as you wanna be.... if you cant stay young forever you can always stay imature. :)

I don't think I will ever feel old!!