PDA

View Full Version : Riding Tractors

Lollypop
11-25-2008, 09:53 AM
I am looking at buying a riding lawn mower that can also be converted into a snow plow.
I know absolutely nothing about them and from one store have been told 20hpw is the minimum and another that 17 would do the job.
Hubby is out of town and had made arrangements with a neighbour to plow the driveway, my 85 year old father in law keeps beating him to the punch. I have injuries to both shoulders so using the snow blower is out of the question. I know I need an automatic, aside from that nothing.
I was thinking of buying a 4 wheeler and putting a plow on that but was told that they are made for pulling not pushing. I would never use it for entertainment so can't justify buying one when I can get the riding lawn mower for cheaper.
Any and all info would be appreciated, I have heard of weights for the tires, chains for the tires, ease of putting the plow on to takes the store half a day.
I might have to change my name to Confused. My lawn area is not that big, my driveway is prob 5 car lenghths and double in front of the house.
Thanks

MaO3
11-25-2008, 10:16 AM
We just bought a new one, Marshalls tools.

Tractor, mower and snowblower.

hp2
11-25-2008, 10:19 AM
we have a toro with blower attachment.. My husband absoulutly loves it.. ITS older None the less.. but I know with the blower attachment on ours we have to pull a leaver back or forward to go up and down with blower attachment.. NOw on newer ones I have no clue if its just a button you push now.. but the person who had ours last had the wrong belt on it and its rather hard to pull up and down.. (we are waiting on proper belt)

Now when he went into superior marine.. he told my husband a new tractor is around 1500 for the same as we have now.. and blower attachment is around 2 grand alone.. thats for last yrs models...

Lollypop
11-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Pricing them out, the tractors alone are in the 2500 range, the blower another 1500, yet the plow is only 500. This is when I called Sears and Canadian Tire.
I am looking for something that would not require much shoulder manipulation. Thats why I thought the blade would be the easiest on me.
Thanks for the help.
What about chains and weights, do I really need them? Is 20 hpw the lowest I can go? Would I be able to remove/attach the blade myself?

The Piper
11-25-2008, 11:14 AM
With a blower you will still need the weights and chains. If you can afford a blower that is driven off a PTO get that. Belt drives are designed to run most efficiently in a straight line, I've got a Cub Cadet that is belt driven with the belt turning 90 degrees to drive the blower and if you get into heavy snow the p.o.s. will slip and burn the belt, no matter how slow/easy I go! :mad: Not sure which makes are driven this way, but I can tell you this much...I'll never buy another one .

Bill Nash
11-25-2008, 05:49 PM
My driveway is 400 feet long and I used a plow for several years. Last year I parked the plow and bought a 45" cut 13.5 hp blower that has power steering! It is the best investment I ever made. I finish my driveway in less time than I did with the plow. You can get them at Canadian Tire or the Country Store Hardware (TSP Store near Soo Mill). I paid about $1800.00 for mine last year. Was retailing for about $2500.00.

Barry Morris
11-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Take an all hydraulic Honda snowblower for a test drive. You might be able to handle it.

I don't reccomend a plow either. Blower is the only way to go.

someguy
11-25-2008, 10:30 PM
I just bought and ATV with the plow. While the cost was a lot more than the tractor I am very happy with it. Whoever told you that ATV's are made for pulling and not pushing was not correct. As long as if you go this way you buy 4WD you will be good.

Lollypop
11-25-2008, 10:46 PM
I was thinking 2 birds one stone, which is why i was thinking of a riding lawn mower with the winter attachment.
My husband agrees to get the blower and not the plow if I do decide on the tractor type.
I had called Home Depot earlier and they do have 2 models in stock but none of the attachements, blower or plow, and up to 3 weeks before they come in. She also told me its an additional 300 for weights and chains, and they do not do any assembly there but do suggest Superior Marine.
At this point I am thinking forget the big stores and maybe concentrate on tractor places where I can test drive something and decide if its comfortable enough for me.

Barry Morris
11-26-2008, 09:11 AM
After my experiences with HD warranty, I won't be buying anything big.

hp2
11-26-2008, 01:22 PM
Lolly Pop... go up to superior marine.. the 1500 dollars also inclueded the lawn attachment.. but not the blower.. they told him it was about 2000 more for blower alone.. but said would not be disappointed.

NewCasa
11-27-2008, 01:44 PM
I had a snow blower for my tractor but it was such a pain in the neck that I sold it and paid a guy to plow my driveway. Much cheaper and easier!

Lollypop
11-27-2008, 02:52 PM
We had made arrangements for someone to come and plow the driveway, only problem is my 85 year old father in law is quicker. I don't know if he sits and waits for the snow to fall and is ready with his scoop, I have seen him here 9pm and or 7:30 am.

NewCasa
11-27-2008, 04:57 PM
We had made arrangements for someone to come and plow the driveway, only problem is my 85 year old father in law is quicker. I don't know if he sits and waits for the snow to fall and is ready with his scoop, I have seen him here 9pm and or 7:30 am.

Send him on over to my place too ok? :)

11-28-2008, 10:04 AM
You need one of these - http://www.v8snowblowers.com/index.html

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4889/

Barry Morris
11-28-2008, 02:31 PM
"This unit blows the snow back to where it came from!"

Yeah, I'll bet. But don't get it stuck!!!

Lollypop
12-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Thanks for all the help, I ended up buying a used craftsman 20.5hp with the blower attachment already on. The delivered it last night, I had asked my b-i-l to come over when they while they were here going over everything. I didn't even get to play, he played on it then backed it into the garage on me. Men........