PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero faulty, and store returns issue.

lk_wicked
11-26-2008, 06:29 PM
purchased guitar hero world tour for 209.00 + taxes
went home set it up
defective unit

one hour after purchase, store tells me they wont give me my money back
and i have to pack it up and send it to the manufacturer.

i didnt even own it for one hour.

called manager, told the same

called store head office, was told they were sorry, that the store should take it back, but they can't do anything about it, if they dont, suggested we deal with the manufacturer.

is this even legal? what they heck can we do?

receipt stamped one hour ago.

frustrated and ticked off. make sure you know the policy on these products before you buy them.

Driftwood
11-26-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm not sure about guitar hero world tour, but when rock band came out there was a big orange sticker on the box saying you cant return it to the store and that you have to deal with the manufacturer. Did you read the box before buying it? Is there anything like that on guitar hero version?

Simba
11-26-2008, 06:38 PM
I bet I know what store it is. What a stupid policy.

Driftwood
11-26-2008, 06:51 PM
I bet I know what store it is. What a stupid policy.

Every store will have the same policy if its like Rock Band, not just one store/chain.

H.E. Pennypacker
11-26-2008, 07:07 PM
there are tons of things that say that... patio furniture, ready to assemble furniture. if you read the instructions the first thing says STOP! Don't return to Store!! call bla bla bla for service.. Reason being, the stores won't get re-inbursed by the manufacturer if they take it back. Some bigger chains may take them back, but they usually end up sending it to Genco... a company that gives the stores pitiful amounts of money for the vast amount of defective stuff

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_/ai_77879408

starterwiz
11-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Sometimes the lowest price gets you the worst service. Value is not determined by price alone. Sucks that you are stuck with junk, and no cash a month before Christmas.
What is the store that won't give you proper service please. At least other shoppers can decide to try it out in the store before leaving with it.

H.E. Pennypacker
11-26-2008, 07:41 PM
ya but it isn't the store's fault, starterwiz. would you accept a satellite radio at your store (for example) if you knew the manufacturer wouldn't give you any credit for it and you just have to suck it up and absorb the expense?

bluekrissyspikes
11-26-2008, 07:43 PM
don't most stores have a no return policy on electronics/video games/movies?

H.E. Pennypacker
11-26-2008, 07:45 PM
don't most stores have a no return policy on electronics/video games/movies?

sort of.. dvds/games opened and not defective, not returnable. opened and defective, most will exchange for the exact same item, unless noted in this case where the instructions say not to

tired-n-cranky
11-26-2008, 07:46 PM
I do not know of any store that will accept a return on opened software/games.

Sucks that it was defective, but you have to deal with the manufacturer on that one.

B.David
11-26-2008, 07:55 PM
I've never come across a store that will allow a new game to be returned if opened. That includes defective product, as you should be going to the manufacturer in that case.

Madmax
11-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Call the manufacturer up.

lk_wicked
11-26-2008, 08:19 PM
for the record, most electronics are warrantied for a year by the manufaturer. most stores will take back or let you at least exchange a product in the first 30 days. this game is not just a cd, its a lot of hardware. I understand the policy on cd's because they can be made into pirated copies of the game. Walmart's policy is 30 days, with most electronics. (but not all). Sony does not make guitar hero, activision makes the game. so activision is the manufacturer that we have to deal with. A different store is considering helping us, so I will not name the store, until I know whether or not I achieve a resolution. Rest assured, I have no problem naming it, if it doesnt come through. But be advised to know the policy before you buy expensive items. Especially items with hard drives and computer technology. My son is not having a good year. His brand new laptop has had to have a hard drive replaced twice this year. His sister has the same laptop and hers has not had any problems. The laptop toshiba policy is that it has to have the same problem four times, before the manufacturer will replace the laptop. within the one year standard manufacturer's policy. However, that product was purchased a futureshop and they took the defective unit back, sent it to the manufacturer, and ensured it was in working order when it was returned to us, on both occasions. So although Futureshop did not repair or replace the unit. They made sure that those details were taken care of for us, and acted as the middleman, since they sold us the product. Sears will do the same on many of their products. SO yes, I am upset with the lack of care or service this store is providing, and I can assure you, I will no longer buy, large ticket items through them again.

Be aware, and know where and how your warranty affects you directly. I should have told my son to buy it at futureshop.
At least I know, they would have assisted us in this matter.

smokey_canada
11-26-2008, 08:21 PM
That has always been the policy with just about any video game right from the get go with nintendo and sega pushing the issue on the original systems and when the store where making less then two bucks on the games not like they cared about selling them. So the policy has stayed since the 80's.

Oh and so you no since I saw you post while I was the lemon law is three times for the same problem so I don't think toshiba should be dumping four times on you.

General Lee
11-26-2008, 08:22 PM
it should say right non the box if broken call the company that made it i just bought rock bank for my wii and that is what it said on the box **** happens not everything is perfect

11-26-2008, 08:41 PM
This is going to be like beating a dead horse. You can't return open software.

I know it is more than just software, there is hardware in there. But the merchandise is 1 product! Software/Hardware.

The store you bought it from can't just refund your money because the hardware is defective, there is no way to prove *Unless unopened* that you didn't copy the game.

You also say ALOT in your first post.

You opened it, it was defective. You wanted your money back. Why would you want your money back? You spend $200 for a game, thats a big investment for a game. That means you want it, so why would you just give up so easy and just want your money back after just one hour, when you could get a new unit?

Most stores will trade like for like, you give your defective product and they will give you new. IF you trade rock band for rock band, they will do that, because you are getting the same software you originally paid for.

So you bought the game, why don't you just trade the defective unit in for a new one? You can do that. If you say you can't, i beg you to PM me the stores information and I'll get it exchange for you.

Unless the whole reason is, you just wanted your money back. Which, well, you can't do.

Hey Mr DJ
11-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Yeah, what keebler said.

Verotik
11-26-2008, 09:45 PM
went home set it up
defective unit

called store head office, was told they were sorry, that the store should take it back, but they can't do anything about it, if they dont, suggested we deal with the manufacturer.

frustrated and ticked off. make sure you know the policy on these products before you buy them.

almost every electronic item you buy now, you must return to the manufacturer not the store.

11-26-2008, 09:57 PM
"Giving her the shaft?" I don't think it' giving her the shaft, I think it's normal store procedures.

Any store will trade a defective product for a working on, why only 1 hour later does she want her money back? I'd be just getting a new unit.

Peety
11-26-2008, 10:11 PM
"Giving her the shaft?" I don't think it' giving her the shaft, I think it's normal store procedures.

Any store will trade a defective product for a working on, why only 1 hour later does she want her money back? I'd be just getting a new unit.

Yes me too,,
But maybe she changed her mind and wanted to buy her kids something else,,

11-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Totally understandable. But just after 1 hour after a $200 investment :) Just didn't seem logical.

But as per my original post

"Unless the whole reason is, you just wanted your money back. Which, well, you can't do."

Maybe she did just want her money back, either for returning it, or for another gift.

Shawn
11-27-2008, 12:15 AM
Yes it is legal on software... All stores have the policy once opened you must deal with the company. Some will do a straight exchange, but no returns unless the item is not opened.

By doing this they are limiting the ability for people to pirate stuff... The store might have been better off helping you to exchange it, but once open they cannot be held responsible, you have to contact the manufacture if you want to return it.

went home set it up
defective unit

Shawn
11-27-2008, 12:26 AM
That has always been the policy with just about any video game right from the get go with nintendo and sega pushing the issue on the original systems and when the store where making less then two bucks on the games not like they cared about selling them. So the policy has stayed since the 80's.

Oh and so you no since I saw you post while I was the lemon law is three times for the same problem so I don't think toshiba should be dumping four times on you.

Actually if I remember correctly there is no lemon law in canada... That only applies to the US. Many of the cars... that end up being lemons end up being shipped up here to be sold. A lot of manufactures put a replacement limit to make customers happy, but they don't have to do it in Canada.

lk_wicked
11-27-2008, 03:51 PM
For the record, went to the other 'same store' that we have here locally. Whole different attitude. Not only did they exchange the whole game hardware and software, they tested the new one they gave us, at our request, right in the store. Could not explain why the other store didnt do that, but set us off in a great mood, and resolution was settled immediately today, with two happy customers. I was informed by the guitar hero website that they are having a 67% recall issue going on with that particular product "drums" set. And apparently the store indicated that although they very rarely have heard of any issues regarding the rock band game products, they are not able to accept the product back as per manufacturer's instructions. There was a known issue regarding the pedal for that game product, however, being a known issue the company was sending out an improved pedal for that product, with customers being told to send the defective or broken one back to them, after they receive the new one.

A store should stand behind the products it sells, and if it can't, then the policy should be stated clearly to the customer prior to purchase.

lk_wicked
11-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Another point to clarify for those who dont read well, the drums were defective, they did not even power on, the store tested the drums in the store themselves, at our request, because i wanted to be sure, it wasn't simply a silly thing, in trouble shooting that could have been easily resolved. I did not care whether they gave us our money back or replaced the defective system. I simply didnt want to lose 200 dollars on a defective product. Head office and the second store both agreed, the return should have taken place, without all of this nonsense. The problem was not policy, it was a misinformed store manager.

H.E. Pennypacker
11-27-2008, 05:15 PM
" a store should stand behind a product it sells"

did you read anything that was posted?? if the product says don't return to store, there's probably a good reason for it..then you complain because they won't take it back... well hello... it says right in the thing not to bring it back there.

B.David
11-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Ah, EB Games? That would make sense, as you did say "the other one" and there are 2 of 'em there now.

With any store, it's up to the store manager to make a decision, and many factors are worked in. Weekly Budgets, Return policy/budgets, stock on hand/on-order, etc. Unfortunately, too many people are little *****es and don't know or care about the whole story.

lk_wicked
11-27-2008, 09:31 PM
Well thanks B David. and yes you knew which store it was. I can tell you I wont shop at station mall eb games again. especially when head office was saying, they should be accepting the return, regardless of what the box says. And in spite of the box stating the store wont take it back, the store in question, this time, did take it back. rightfully so, when we wanted to return it within an hour of purchase.

EyelashExtensions
11-27-2008, 11:32 PM
for the record, most electronics are warrantied for a year by the manufaturer. most stores will take back or let you at least exchange a product in the first 30 days. this game is not just a cd, its a lot of hardware. I understand the policy on cd's because they can be made into pirated copies of the game. Walmart's policy is 30 days, with most electronics. (but not all). Sony does not make guitar hero, activision makes the game. so activision is the manufacturer that we have to deal with. A different store is considering helping us, so I will not name the store, until I know whether or not I achieve a resolution. Rest assured, I have no problem naming it, if it doesnt come through. But be advised to know the policy before you buy expensive items. Especially items with hard drives and computer technology. My son is not having a good year. His brand new laptop has had to have a hard drive replaced twice this year. His sister has the same laptop and hers has not had any problems. The laptop toshiba policy is that it has to have the same problem four times, before the manufacturer will replace the laptop. within the one year standard manufacturer's policy. However, that product was purchased a futureshop and they took the defective unit back, sent it to the manufacturer, and ensured it was in working order when it was returned to us, on both occasions. So although Futureshop did not repair or replace the unit. They made sure that those details were taken care of for us, and acted as the middleman, since they sold us the product. Sears will do the same on many of their products. SO yes, I am upset with the lack of care or service this store is providing, and I can assure you, I will no longer buy, large ticket items through them again.

Be aware, and know where and how your warranty affects you directly. I should have told my son to buy it at futureshop.
At least I know, they would have assisted us in this matter.

Hmm, I wouldn't be so sure about future shop. There is someone on here who purchased something from there and brought it home to have it not work and future shop would NOT exchange it. It had to be shipped and be fixed. Future shop has the same procedures with certain items. They are good for getting things fixed, but usually the same applies to items bought in there store as well.

filthy
11-28-2008, 12:00 AM
Still not sure why this thread is called PS3 fans beware...lol

I had bunk peripherals for PS3 and XBOX 360. Either way it has to be shipped to EA or Activision, but it's not that bad. I had a guitar shipped to me first, in 5 day, and they gave me a month to ship back the old one before any cost was incurred. Purolator dropped the new one off and picked up the old one at my house, all free of charge.

I know it's frustrating to blow $200 and have something not work right out of the box but these controllers are not like a regular controller, like the ones that come with the PS3 or XBOX 360...or even Wiimotes. I feel they have to do it this way and made it as easy as it could be. No matter what store you buy it from too, the RMA procedure is standard for these peripherals.

Out of 3 sets of drums, 4 guitars and 2 mics...I only had to RMA one guitar, and it was usable but the tilt "overdrive" feature was always on. I also ordered the USB/Midi for the GHWT drums, free of charge, and enabled to tune the sensitivity of each drum pad to perfection.

tired-n-cranky
11-28-2008, 09:11 AM
I have renamed this thread to point to the correct issue at hand. This has nothing to do with Playstation 3 problems, but more store return policies, crabby managers, and faulty hardware.

B.David
11-28-2008, 02:25 PM
All in all, Guitar Hero should be a dead name now. Once Harmonix left the team, it went downhill. At least Harmonix has given us Rock Band now, and it's going strong.

filthy
11-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Yes thread name appropriate now.

Also I agree with B. David, Rock Band blows away Guitar Hero. I can't get enough of my RB2 drums now that I have cymbals on them...

lk_wicked
11-29-2008, 01:06 AM
This is going to be like beating a dead horse. You can't return open software.

I know it is more than just software, there is hardware in there. But the merchandise is 1 product! Software/Hardware.

The store you bought it from can't just refund your money because the hardware is defective, there is no way to prove *Unless unopened* that you didn't copy the game.

You also say ALOT in your first post.

You opened it, it was defective. You wanted your money back. Why would you want your money back? You spend $200 for a game, thats a big investment for a game. That means you want it, so why would you just give up so easy and just want your money back after just one hour, when you could get a new unit?

Most stores will trade like for like, you give your defective product and they will give you new. IF you trade rock band for rock band, they will do that, because you are getting the same software you originally paid for.

So you bought the game, why don't you just trade the defective unit in for a new one? You can do that. If you say you can't, i beg you to PM me the stores information and I'll get it exchange for you.

Unless the whole reason is, you just wanted your money back. Which, well, you can't do.

the issue has been resolved, and the store at station mall, would not exchange it for another, which was why, i wanted my money back. The other store, exchanged the package for another one. and we were happy with that solution, and the game we have at home works fine.