PDA

View Full Version : Remember the 8 Year old killed by Uzi

MaO3
12-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Remember the 8 year old kid who shot himself at a gun show in the US?
Charges have been laid in his death.
Criminal Charges in Death of Boy Who Shot Himself at Gun Show

Police Chief, Gun Club Indicted on Involuntary Manslaughter Charges

By SARAH NETTER
Dec. 4, 2008
http://a.abcnews.com/images/Site/byline_abcnews.gif

A police chief and a Massachusetts gun club have been indicted for involuntary manslaughter in the death of an 8-year-old boy who accidentally shot himself with a Uzi at an October gun expo in Massachusetts.
Pelham Police Chief Edward Fleury owns COP Firearms & Training, which sponsored the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo at the Westfield Sportsman's Club, where 8-year-old Christopher Bizilj accidentally shot himself in the head in October after losing control of the 9 mm Micro Uzi submachine gun.
In addition to the manslaughter indictments, Fleury and the Westfield Sportsman's Club were also indicted on four counts each of furnishing a gun to a minor.
Two other men, Carl Guiffre of Hartford, Conn., and Domenico Spano, of New Milford, Conn., also face involuntary manslaughter charges. Messages left at the listed phone numbers of both men were not returned Thursday afternoon, and their involvement in the youngster's death was unclear.
Christopher's father, Dr. Charles Bizilj of Ashford, Conn., and a firearms instructor were standing nearby when Christopher accidently shot and killed himself.

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=6393527&page=1

J*B
12-05-2008, 08:35 AM
I predicted that.. no surprise to me.
They were totally irresponsible letting a child handle such a weapon, instructor nearby or not..

MaO3
12-05-2008, 08:38 AM
I agree 100% I'm glad that they charged them. I saw on the news last night that the "so called certified instructor" was a 15 year old kid.

So sad.

EyelashExtensions
12-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Why was the Father not charged? If he allowed his son to shoot the weapon, he should be charged as well. If he didn't, I don't think he should have been.

MaO3
12-05-2008, 08:53 AM
They didn't charge the father because it was supposed to be a gunshow for all ages. They spelled out in thier advertising, that kids of all ages would be allowed to shoot and that no licenses or permits were required. They also stated that there would be "certified instructors".

The DA in the news I saw last night said that there was no justice to be served by charging the dad, he will live with this until his dying day.

EyelashExtensions
12-05-2008, 09:04 AM
I thought I read somewhere that in that state as long as a parent approved or there was certified instructors that a child could shoot. If the state allows teens to become certified instructors than no one is to blame but the law/or lack there of would be at fault. If the Father allowed his son to shoot an uzi, he should be held accountable as well as the rest of them. Being a father or related shouldn't excuse someone of legal ramifications. To me the bottom line would be if the Father allowed, and the law supports it the people shouldn't have been charged or everyone involved including the father should have been. I also don't have all the facts....I wasn't there. But from what I heard on the news, that technically this was totally legal.

EyelashExtensions
12-05-2008, 09:08 AM
"Bennett said Giuffre and Spano brought the weapon to the show after being assured by Fleury that it was legal for children to use it under Massachusetts law. It was not known Thursday how many firms supplied guns at the event."

"That, however, is not the case, Bennett said. Massachusetts law prohibits furnishing a machine gun to any person younger than 18, Bennett said. "There is no exception that would allow a machine gun to be furnished to an 8-year-old, with or without parental consent," Bennett said."

I just found this which clears up a lot of what I wasn't sure of...