Verotik
12-12-2008, 11:55 PM
that you all get some of this too

http://www.genx40.com/images/beerblog/10w30.JPG

Verotik
12-12-2008, 11:56 PM

The trouble with Ontario is really expressed in its beer distribution system: it is too big. Half the nation lives here, half the office space and half the bears as well. It goes from the arctic to the Carolinian forest, from the western prairie to a few miles from Montreal. The effect on beer distribution is a focus on localization so that if you want to find one of the beer from the handful of brewers in the province you have to drive. Driving on the weekend for other reasons, I took the opportunity to test the LCBO stocks in Guelph, north on highway 6 just past the Sleemans Brewery, four hours drive to my west.

This beer was worth the drive. A dark ale that actually tries to be something other than a darkened lager like the quite foul Waterloo Dark. Dark ale is not really a style so much as a place there by brown on the lighter side and porter on the richer. It is a small place and this beer settles there well. The body is heavier than the average Canadian ale - as the automotive oil name would imply. It is however fairly fresh with bright, if twiggy, hops cutting quite a sweet rich malt profile. Within the malts there are grainy pale malt flavours as well as some chocolate. Amongst those there is also a treacle note and perhaps a little hint of licorice. A brighter and lighter Theaksons's Old Peculier? Here is what the advocates say.

Perhaps not the most amazing ale but - for those named dark - the best I have had from Canada.

Jackie B
12-12-2008, 11:57 PM
And just how many of those have you had young man? I notice the lack of capitals and punctuation in other threads. Too much effort at the moment? LOL

Verotik
12-12-2008, 11:57 PM

I would quite agree with the reviewer and will have to get some more on my next trip to the kitchener waterloo area i am on my last 1 i had 3 6 packs left and only 1 lonely can left to go

Verotik
12-12-2008, 11:58 PM

the best part is no additives or preservatives! and it tastes yum

SusyQ
12-12-2008, 11:58 PM
And just how many of those have you had young man? I notice the lack of capitals and punctuation in other threads. Too much effort at the moment? LOL

LMAO @ Jackie.

Peety
12-12-2008, 11:59 PM
What ever he had I want!!!:smile:

Jackie B
12-12-2008, 11:59 PM
3 six packs? As if. If you had 17 beer, you'd probably be dead from alcohol poisoning.

Verotik
12-13-2008, 12:02 AM
No young lady, the one time i almost died from alcohol poisoning was when i sat beside a keg of beer after consuming some kind of 'party favor' and drank most of the keg, after which i had to go to the hospital for the old tube down the throat and overnight stay, resulting in a breezy bus ride on the OTC in my hospital gown in the morning with my butt hanging out and me carrying my clothes with the hang over of the century.

but i did find a new party later that evening!

Peety
12-13-2008, 12:03 AM
3 six packs? As if. If you had 17 beer, you'd probably be dead from alcohol poisoning.

No thanks, Where did he say he had that many beer?

Tutones
12-13-2008, 12:04 AM
I don't think he drank them all at the same time... but really who's to say? I've seen people drink an entire case without falling over.

Jackie B
Third post down from the top.

"i am on my last 1 i had 3 6 packs left and only 1 lonely can left to go"

Tutones
However, Dark ale is difficult to drink in large quantities. Very filling.

Verotik
i cant fall over i am sitting down lol

Jackie B
12-13-2008, 12:05 AM
Really? Wow. If I had two drinks I think the room would be spinning. LOL

Verotik
12-13-2008, 12:06 AM
However, Dark ale is difficult to drink in large quantities. Very filling.

i think you are thinking more of a stout there, this is an ale, so same as any other ale barring a different taste and color.

I can knock back quite a few guinness any day without getting over full,

Verotik
12-13-2008, 12:07 AM
i was actually waiting up for a mouse, i heard it last nite so tonite is the night

i have a ream of glue traps ready for him

Jackie B
12-13-2008, 12:08 AM
Doctor's get mice? LMBO

Verotik
12-13-2008, 12:09 AM
doctors that buy stupid 100 yr old farmhouse get mice

Tutones
12-13-2008, 12:09 AM
I miss Guiness. It just doesn't taste the same in a can.

As far as glue traps go... I can almost hear the poor bugger screaming now. Brings back terrible memories of my days working at KFC in Windsor.

Tutones
12-13-2008, 12:10 AM

I bet the mouse is just annoyed that he has 'people'.

SusyQ
i was actually waiting up for a mouse, i heard it last nite so tonite is the night

i have a ream of glue traps ready for him

Was it BIG AND PINK!:shaha:

Jackie B
Ah, okay. LOL I figured you would have built your house.

Peety

Hey!!!
I have a old farm house,,

Verotik
12-13-2008, 12:11 AM

As far as glue traps go... I can almost hear the poor bugger screaming now. Brings back terrible memories of my days working at KFC in Windsor.

so thats where their new 'wings' came from!

Verotik
12-13-2008, 12:12 AM
Ah, okay. LOL I figured you would have built your house.

we are building new next door on the big lot next year, then this old house will get sold or rented

Tutones
12-13-2008, 12:12 AM
Hey!!!

I am guessing by your avatar that yours also comes with mice... :smile:

Tutones
12-13-2008, 12:13 AM
so thats where their new 'wings' came from!

Let's just say I wouldn't eat the 'Popcorn' chicken.

Peety
12-13-2008, 12:13 AM
I am guessing by your avatar that yours also comes with mice... :smile:

I am the best mouse trapper in Canada,,
I suck at Hamster catching!

Verotik
12-13-2008, 12:14 AM
Hey!!!

well i hope you do the energy fit reno and get the 10,000 grant too, i am wrapping mine, up but guess i have missed a mouse whole somewhere, i know it is in the basement around one of the old windows

Verotik
12-13-2008, 12:16 AM
I am the best mouse trapper in Canada,,
I suck at Hamster catching!

i've got glue traps, the electrocuter, the exterminator,

i used to do live traps and take em down to the river bridge and see which side they would swim to, not all of em were good swimmers though

Peety
12-13-2008, 12:16 AM
well i hope you do the energy fit reno and get the 10,000 grant too, i am wrapping mine, up but guess i have missed a mouse whole somewhere, i know it is in the basement around one of the old windows

What is it?

Verotik
12-13-2008, 12:20 AM
the energy retrofit grant? if your farmhouse is as old as mine and you want to slap foam all over the outside and some new windows and insulation you can get up to 10,000 grant to do so, they only pay you after you do it all though so you have to cough up the dough first

Peety
12-13-2008, 12:21 AM
i've got glue traps, the electrocuter, the exterminator,

i used to do live traps and take em down to the river bridge and see which side they would swim to, not all of em were good swimmers though

It is actually good here ,,
I caught a couple in the Fall,
The one trap I opened and was putting it in the garbage bag and the mouse came alive and ran up my arm and I swatted it in to my scrub pail and covered the pail.
I do not mind mice just not running up my arm!!!
I had just bought a new quilt and the see tho bag was there so I put the mouse in the plastic bag and my little one had great fun looking at the mouse,
So then we got a hamster and she let it out and we have not heard from it since,

Verotik
12-13-2008, 12:22 AM
ZOMG look at this recipe for this beer yum yum

10W30 'Sex-on-a-Grill' BBQ Chocolate Lobster

Ingredients:

2 x 1 - 2 lb whole fresh Atlantic Ocean Harvest Live Lobsters
6 cloves roasted garlic
2 tbsp. grated bitter sweet dark chocolate
1-2 tbsp. chipotle chilies in adobe sauce
1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1 tsp olive oil
Big pinch chopped fresh cilantro
2 bottles 10W30, Neustadt Springs Brewery
- cup melted butter
cup grated bitter sweet dark chocolate
cup crushed peanuts or cashews or pecans
cup panko Japanese bread crumbs
sea salt to taste

Peety
12-13-2008, 12:22 AM
the energy retrofit grant? if your farmhouse is as old as mine and you want to slap foam all over the outside and some new windows and insulation you can get up to 10,000 grant to do so, they only pay you after you do it all though so you have to cough up the dough first

I will have to check it out!!

Verotik
12-13-2008, 12:23 AM
It is actually good here ,,
I caught a couple in the Fall,
The one trap I opened and was putting it in the garbage bag and the mouse came alive and ran up my arm and I swatted it in to my scrub pail and covered the pail.
I do not mind mice just not running up my arm!!!
I had just bought a new quilt and the see tho bag was there so I put the mouse in the plastic bag and my little one had great fun looking at the mouse,
So then we got a hamster and she let it out and we have not heard from it since,

lol i hope he doesnt breed with the mice, then you get a whole new problem of half breeds,

Verotik
12-13-2008, 12:24 AM
I will have to check it out!!

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/commercial/financial-assistance/existing/retrofits/index.cfm?attr=0

Peety
12-13-2008, 12:26 AM
lol i hope he doesnt breed with the mice, then you get a whole new problem of half breeds,

We took apart the furnace,,,
We have no ideal where it is,
No smell yet!!!

lynys
12-13-2008, 12:27 AM
I'm gonna stick to my tall glass of Bailey's. Mmmmmm

dancingqueen
12-13-2008, 12:48 AM

pshhhh
light-weight

\m/ Rich \m/
12-13-2008, 03:53 AM
i scrolled through all this without reading a single post after the OP, and all i have to say is dark = yucky and malty = too heavy.

lynys
12-13-2008, 08:54 AM
i scrolled through all this without reading a single post after the OP, and all i have to say is dark = yucky and malty = too heavy.

I'm not reading any of your posts anymore then. *1

Barry Morris
12-13-2008, 07:04 PM

I understand that Guiness is one of those beers that doesn't taste any worse for having gone through a kidney or two.

Suze
12-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Mmmmm, I loves me some Neustadt....I discovered that little gem about 3 years ago - took a visit to the brewery last year. That 10W30 is some tasty, tasty beer!
You ever have any of the Wellington brews Verotik? That is the best part about living in Guelph - I am spoiled by good beer!

Barney Rubble
12-14-2008, 03:46 PM
i miss northern light!
:(