PDA

View Full Version : safety

mwrc1
12-13-2008, 08:45 AM
is there a site with a list of what is looked at for a safety

Barry Morris
12-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Your best bet is to take a vehicle to a garage and have it done. You don't need the ownership (in fact you SHOULDN'T let them take numbers off it- what if they don't match??)

If you have the safety done, you will know what has to be fixed, without wasting time on anything that doesn't. Also, of course, you'll know if a car is worth buying.

Anapeg
12-13-2008, 08:40 PM
Barry's right. It will cost you about sixty dollars, then take it home, fix only whats necessary. Take it back and another sixty dollars and you are happily motoring. I looked on the MTO's site and came away empty handed, again.

Barry Morris
12-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Whoa, Anapeg, unless the vehicle needs a lot of work to get wheels off and such, there's no additional charge!! There IS a time limit to do the work, however. Check with the guy who does it.

puppy
12-14-2008, 10:12 PM
Autoworks on GNR does safeties and when i had mine done he charged me like 69 dollars and then i did the work myself then brought it back to him and he signed the safety slip with no additional charges...did not have to pay the 69 dollars again for the safety...i had like a week to do the work..

Anapeg
12-15-2008, 11:44 AM
They still have to verify that the work was done and done properly Barry. Some will charge for the second MVI to verify as not everyone will accept you at face value to-day. I didn't say it was fair or right, just might happen is all.

Barry Morris
12-15-2008, 03:55 PM
They still have to verify that the work was done and done properly Barry. Some will charge for the second MVI to verify as not everyone will accept you at face value to-day. I didn't say it was fair or right, just might happen is all.

I quite agree. Vehicles with floating axles taka a lot more work to check out, and those owners can expect more costs.

But I've never been charged extra for an ordinary car. And pulling the wheel drums is the only place where it's not possible to actually see the parts.

One thing you need to know is that the safety, though giving 36 days (still??) to change ownerships is NOT a guarantee in any way. It's good on the day of the final inspection only.