PDA

View Full Version : chocolate chip cookies w/ chick peas

kitty&mimi
12-13-2008, 01:21 PM
this recipe is from jessica seinfeld's deceptively delicious

*watch out for flying chick peas if using a stand mixer, partially cover the bowl with a dish towel to keep the chick peas from flying out

-nonstick cooking spray
-1 c firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
-3/4 c trans fat free soft tub margarine
-2 large egg whites
-2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
-1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
-2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
-3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
-2 cups all purpose flour
-1/2 cup old fashioned oats
-1 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350, coat a baking sheet with cooking spray

In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the sugar and margarine with a wooden spoon or on medium speed until smooth. Beat in the egg whites and vanilla, then the chickpeas and chocolate chips. Add the flour, oats, baking soda, and salt and mix on low speed until a thick dough forms.

Drop the dough by the tablespoonful onto the baking sheet, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart, Press gently with a fork to flatten, bake until the cookies are golden brown and just set, 11 to 13 minutes, DO NOT OVERBAKE

transfer to a rack to cool

store in airtight container for up to 3 days

kitca
12-13-2008, 01:24 PM
those sound really good. except for the chick peas, they just sound interesting, lol. im going to try those out as soon as i can. im curious.

thanks for posting the recipe!

kitty&mimi
12-13-2008, 03:16 PM
they were good....at least you get fibre
but there's lots of chocolate..probably to hide the chick peas
next time i make them i will add less chocolate chips

lynys
12-13-2008, 04:05 PM
I am so gonna make these. They sound delish!

kitty&mimi
12-15-2008, 08:06 AM
they are, beware tons of chocolate lol
that cookbook is really good, there is a chocolate dip made with avacado ....i lent the book to my friend, when i get it back i will post more recipes

kitca
12-15-2008, 05:14 PM
what is the name of the cookbook?

im just reading a health book that talks on the benefits of avacado and how we should have more in our diets. the only thing i know is .... ok, im not even going to try and spell it, but you know, that dip.

LettuceLady
12-16-2008, 10:44 AM
I think that I am going to try these this weekend. Kitca..are you talking about guacamole? Avocados are very good for you. They also make a great skin mask ;)

BrAt
12-16-2008, 01:25 PM
I thought the whole point of Jessica's "Deceptively Delicious" recipes was that she used pureed veggies so her kids wouldn't know they were in the food.

Wouldn't you want to puree the chick peas first before adding them to the cookies?

Bleck!

Sophie's_Mommy
12-17-2008, 01:26 PM
maybe they look like macadamia nuts..lol..sounds weird but i think i may try them and see how they taste..

kitca
12-17-2008, 11:44 PM
I think that I am going to try these this weekend. Kitca..are you talking about guacamole? Avocados are very good for you. They also make a great skin mask ;)

YES! i just couldnt think of how to spell it.

ok. so the recipe book is deceptivly delicious with veggies snuck into the recipes? i think i remember hearing about that book. i think i am interested.

kitty&mimi
12-18-2008, 09:21 AM
some of the chick peas get crushed, i used the electric mixer
some dont
they are very well hidden, dont ask how lol

deceptively delicious is the name, its a binder kind of book
i saw it on the tables at coles in cambrian mall for $13 which is a great deal

what u do is puree veggies, ie yams, carrots, spinach etc and the best thing to do is freeze them in measured portions
then addthem to food or make stuff with them

ie, why not add pureed spinach to ur spaghetti sauce? get an extra dose of iron and whatever else! u can add any pureed veggie to sauce actally and the veggie is very well hidden...

jessica seinfeld was on oprah last yr promoting it
it's a great idea, not an original one, but u think it's so easy 'why didnt i think of it on my own?' LOL

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
12-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Now I know that you have officially lost it lol...

kitty&mimi
12-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Sure

Thing

Fone

U later

lynys
01-12-2009, 10:42 PM
These are good! Excellent recipe Kitty! :)

kitty&mimi
01-13-2009, 08:34 AM
now i have the urge to make them this weekend!

tasma
01-13-2009, 09:02 AM
There is a website for the deceptively delicious cookbook and recipes but as soon as you click on the picture for the recipe it sends you to oprah.com and when you go into the food section on oprah.com and type in deceptively delicious or jessica seinfeld it comes up that they don't have the recipes available right now.
On the cookbook site, Jessica certainly makes sure everybody knows she was on the oprah show. I borrowed the book from the library and then took it to work one night and photocopied the recipes I liked. I might suggest that you try borrowing it from the library first to see if your family will like it. There is another one but i can't remember what its called that supposedly came out before Jessica's but she got all the press at the time.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
01-13-2009, 09:03 AM
now i have the urge to make them this weekend!

You have the urge for everything this weekend lol

tasma
01-13-2009, 09:11 AM
The sneaky chef by Missy chase Lapine is the other one and if you google it you can find free recipes on her site to try.

kitty&mimi
01-13-2009, 09:16 AM
that book was on sale at cole's for 14bux
but ya, u can get it from the library and photocopy what u want..

kitty&mimi
01-13-2009, 09:17 AM
You have the urge for everything this weekend lol

Sure

Thing

Fone

U later

kitca
01-13-2009, 05:34 PM
actually, when i googled the deciptively delicious recipes i got quite a few chat groups and they didnt like her stuff. they said it was alot of work, and werent all that impressed. so, it kind of made me wonder. i thought i would try the chic pea choc chips because they didnt sound as hard and they sounded good too.

kitty&mimi
01-13-2009, 08:29 PM
well the way she tells u to do things is to freeze all the purees, im not into that, so if i need pureed sweet potato for example i'll just boil or steam it and puree it...
her style takes a lot of planning
i go on a whim lol
i'll look thru it and decide i'll make something on the weekend and when i go to the store make sure i get what i need, then make it...
it is a good idea to add pureed ie carrot to my sauce, when i think about it...her ideas are not new...
i bought her book mainly for diff ideas....
for the record, im not a major cook either lol...

Bufford
01-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Made these yesterday, are nice soft cookies but IMO when trying to make a cookie more healthful by adding chickpeas why add 2 cups of chocolate chips? Way too many chips for my liking, I cut the chips back to cup and added fresh orange zest, next time I make them will add some grated carrot.

kitty&mimi
01-14-2009, 09:35 AM
bufford!i agree, i mentioned before, too many for my liking, i dont like too much sweetness, but hey....
i wonder adding less chocolate, if that would mess up the recipe...
how did they turn out with the orange zest???

i noticed, that although she makes it healthy by adding the purees, the sugar content is increased.....to maybe mask the veggies? i dont know.....

Bufford
01-14-2009, 10:49 AM
bufford!i agree, i mentioned before, too many for my liking, i dont like too much sweetness, but hey....
i wonder adding less chocolate, if that would mess up the recipe...
how did they turn out with the orange zest???

i noticed, that although she makes it healthy by adding the purees, the sugar content is increased.....to maybe mask the veggies? i dont know.....

I'm a orange/chocolate combo fan, adding the orange zest kicked them up a notch.

lynys
01-16-2009, 10:58 AM
I used less chocolate. They were good even still.