PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Dinner

cutie22
12-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Ok so I'm making Christmas dinner at my place this year and would some ideas on what people make with theirs. Some recipes would be awesome to. So far I have thought of turkey, turnip and mashed potatoes.

autum1
12-16-2008, 09:14 PM
turkey, dressing, cranberries, carrots, mashed potatoes, lettuce salad, sweet potatoes, and a green veggie. I usually have an appetiser like a shrimp ring or veggies and dip.Also homemade buns, my mom makes them and for dessert a mincemeat pie with icecream.
Mashed potatoes have butter and creme cheese and salt and pepper, and a little milk.
Carrots and the other green veggie are steamed. Sweet potatoes are microwaved and then mashed with butter.
Turkey is stuffed with the dressing . Dressing is day old bread, ends of loafs etc , with onions, celery, sage, butter, poultry dressing spice.salt and pepper

cutie22
12-16-2008, 09:16 PM
thanks

kitca
12-17-2008, 11:49 PM
that sounds very similar to ours.
i think the cranberry recipe is on the bag, boil with water and sugar. i put a little real maple syrup in the mashed sweet potato. our traditional green veggie is brussel sprouts, steamed or boiled with butter and salt.

IMHO
12-18-2008, 09:23 AM
The "experts" warn against stuffing a turkey. There is a good chance the dressing will pick up "bugs" from the turkey and keep warm in the dressing. I do mine from stove top stuffing mixed with a few cranberries and some turkey broth in the micro.

cutie22
12-18-2008, 08:54 PM
I know some people wrap their stuffing in tin foil before putting in the turkey. I myself never done that. I'm not a big fan of stove top stuffing.

autum1
12-19-2008, 07:30 AM
I remove the stuffing as soon as the turkey is done and place it in a bowl. It is leaving the sutffing in the turkey for the carving.

T_wolfe
12-24-2008, 01:26 AM
Meatballs....or really small mini meatloafs

1 lb of ground beef
1 pkg Stove Top Stuffing mix (any kind)
chopped onion
garlic (whatever you like)
salt and pepper

make the stove top like instructed....
mix it with the ground beef and all the rest of the items
roll your meatballs or mini meatloafs....
bake in the oven 375 for 30 mins or until centers are done...

They are wonderful....really moist....

Twice baked Sweet Potatoes

2 large sweet potatoes
1/4 of cup of Cream Cheese
2 TBS milk
1 TBS of brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped pecans

heat oven to 425
cut potatoes lengthwise in half
place, cut-sides down in a foil-lined pan
bake 30 to 35 mins or until tender

scoop out centres of potatoes into bowl, leaving 1/4 inch thick shells.
Add cream cheese, milk, sugar, cinnamon to potatoes, mash until blended
spoon mixture into shells, top with nuts
Bake 8 mins or until potatoes are heated through and nuts are toasted.

nightingale
12-24-2008, 01:32 AM
mmmmm, T Wolfe, those recipes sound delicious!! I'm going to try them both!

T_wolfe
12-24-2008, 07:50 AM
they are really good...........enjoy