PDA

View Full Version : Christmas CARDS

IMHO
12-18-2008, 07:52 AM
I wish this card exchange thing would stop...except for people out of town. What a waste of paper, postage and time. With the advent of email, we could send greetings to most people we know. You just get all your cards sent out and another new one arrives. I feel like writing a big THIS IS MY LAST YEAR FOR SENDING OUT CARDS...WHAT IS YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS?

P.s. I hate those cards that are actually a letter outlining all the wonderful things your family has done for the past year.

Bufford
12-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Have not sent Christmas Cards for years, just a waste of time and money.

Huggy85
12-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Have not sent Christmas Cards for years, just a waste of time and money.

Me either. A couple of family get gifts mailed, others and some friends get phone calls or emails. Some that we stopped sending cards have thanked us - it gave them permission to stop ending to us to. I think they are a tradition that has done its time.

Babzz
12-18-2008, 08:06 AM
I have stopped sending cards in the mail also..

Sweet Little Sister
12-18-2008, 09:11 AM
i send out a few to friends out of town..and my kids send some to their friends (because kids love getting mail..) used to send out lots, but not anymore..the kids love checking the mailbox everyday so i'm glad we still get them.

lynys
12-18-2008, 09:16 AM
I like getting them. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

Suze
12-18-2008, 09:20 AM
That is one tradition that I will never give up. So few people are doing it these days, and I have been giving Christmas Cards for at least 10 years, so my friends and family have come to expect it - and I like it that way.
I'm with Lynys, I like getting them...I think it is a nice touch to the holidays - yes technology is great, but there are some traditions that are a little more personal to show the people I care about that I love them enough to take the time to sit down and write a personal note once a year!

tippikitty
12-18-2008, 09:37 AM
I send out Christmas cards every year.... I also love getting them. There's just something about checking the mail and seeing a card in there just for you from someone who cares.

Chaotic Chick
12-18-2008, 09:39 AM
My kids love to go across the street and check the mail for Christmas cards after school everyday, so I am glad that my family still sends them. :) I love it as well, and I send cards to my family out of town. My son likes to put a Christmas card in his friends' mailboxes with some candy; it is far more personal than sending an email.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
12-18-2008, 09:40 AM
I sent you a card and you sent it back...

Chaotic Chick
12-18-2008, 09:42 AM
You spelled your OWN name wrong for God's sake.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
12-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Kinda hard to misspell Satan...

Chaotic Chick
12-18-2008, 09:45 AM
You spelled it like "Santa". Sheesh.

Wodahs
12-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Going to the mailbox and finding a Christmas card puts a smile on my face every time. This time of year is so stressful for many people and finding a card in their mailbox instead of bills lifts the spirit. Knowing someone has thought of you and taken the time send a card gives Christmas back that little bit of personal touch. E-mails are good but hard to hang on my wall and look at for the season. lol

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
12-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Of course, who in their right mind would open an envelope with a return address from Satan??!! Oh Wait, this is Tipp we are talking about. She is probably on Satan's payroll as we speak lol....

Chaotic Chick
12-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Of course, who in their right mind would open an envelope with a return address from Satan??!! Oh Wait, this is Tipp we are talking about. She is probably on Satan's payroll as we speak lol....

I would, that is my sister's name.

tippikitty
12-18-2008, 09:51 AM

I am not at liberty to divulged that information. ;)

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
12-18-2008, 09:52 AM
I am not at liberty to divulged that information. ;)

Did Satan get you a company car or did he supply you with one of his condos on Hades Avenue?

BlueSky
12-18-2008, 09:55 AM
We put up a large poster and have people sign their names to it, wishing one another a Merry Christmas., Then we take the money we would have spent, and donate it to a worthy cause.

tippikitty
12-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Did Satan get you a company car or did he supply you with one of his condos on Hades Avenue?

Actually he got me a brand new bike. ;)

Miles From Nowhere
12-18-2008, 09:58 AM
I only send one card each year and that is to my daughter. I try to find the flashiest cards. Last year it was one of those Disney Princess singing cards and I always put a wind up butterfly in them. I didn't do the butterfly this year because I got her a pop-up panoramic card and the butterfly would have gotten stuck, I think. I have just as much fun buying the card as she does receiving it. I think email greetings are much less personal. I watched an older gentleman at the post office the other day putting stamps on a stack of Christmas cards....must've been a hundred of them. He already looked like he was having a root canal, imagine if he would have had to lick those stamps too? Thank god for the peel and stick ones we get now.

AngelOnHigh
12-18-2008, 11:15 AM
I love giving out Christmas Cards... I had to go to the post office and get stamps put on them... that is a chore here because the post office is sooooooo far away and always a HUGE line... but I need to get Canadian stamps... so, after being in line for almost an hour... spending about 70.00 on stamps and getting them mailed.... IT WAS WORTH IT!!!

I love sending them out. I will do it each and every year! I love getting them too, but it is the giving that I love. I went out and bought A LOT of Christmas cards... Took the time to read through a lot of them... and find the ones that I really liked... and sat down and addressed them and wrote in them. Took two nights... and I loved every minute of it.

One friend said, "Here is my email address, just send one that way." What fun is that? I love Christmas Cards... lol.

BlueSky
12-18-2008, 11:29 AM
I hate e-greeting cards. I never go and read them. They harvest email addresses and probably sell them.

Karen-Annie
12-18-2008, 11:56 AM
I too love Christmas cards.....sending them and receiving them. And I love the infamous Christmas letters!! It's great fun hearing from old friends who live at a distance,hear what their family is up to and sometimes get pics of kids and now grandkids. On the one I send out I always put personal comments for the person/family I'm sending it to.

Sorry,e-mail Christmas cards just don't have the same "fun" factor of going to the mailbox and seeing even one card that has a return address ofr someone whose card you were anxiously waiting for.

And you never know when that card you sent will make someone's day. I made one with Print Shop for the nun who was director when I was in nursing training. I had remembered a story from I was 8 or 9.....a Christmas story that involved her giving my younger cousins and I a special Christmas memory when my Grandpa was in hospital. I realized I had never shared it with her and decided this was something I had to do.She must have sent her response the same day she got the card.She said I gave her a special Christmas gift,couldn't believe I remembered it 50+ years later and put a smile on her face for the whole day.

I love the speed and convenience of e-mail but I do miss handwritten letters so much. I'll continue to send Christmas cards and anxiously wait for the mail-lady each day,thank you very much.

gouligann
12-18-2008, 12:24 PM
I find writing Christmas cards a PIA chore that must be done.
BUTTTTT!!!! I feel so good after they are in the mailbox because I know people like getting them.

I love getting mail in the actual mailbox, don't mind the long winded letters that come in some of them (it's the only way I know certain news) and I even like getting and sending emails.(but not for Christmas greetings)

Can't stand those E-cards though. I don't bother looking at them either.

Punkin
12-19-2008, 01:49 PM
I love sending Christmas Cards.. This year we got really nice family pictures done and found a great website to print 4x8 cards on that were more than 1/2 the price of walmart photo to print. I didn't lift a pen for mine, even labels are done on the computer. I love receiving cards.

The best cards I received were my Tim McGraw ones :) Christmas card exchange with people in his fan club and everyone sends out pictures taken by themselves .. like a cookie exchange! That was fun last year lol..

I wont give up sending out cards, I enjoy it. But I too.. don't like the brag letters people send.

moochie
12-19-2008, 07:42 PM
the more i think of it, cards are a waste if money i always said that its what you do to people during the year that matters

Limitations
12-19-2008, 08:09 PM
[QUOTE=moochie;381675]the more i think of it, cards are a waste if money i always said that its what you do to people during the year that matters[QUOTE]

Your thinking straight to a certain degree on the issue.

It is very important, too, that good treatment be with right motive.

My purpose for adding that the hypocrisy that is going on at this time of year and the high pressure Media sales tricks that are amidst the worst type, has nothing to do with me being of a kill-joy type, of character.

In summary, I do understand the need for SENSIBLE BUSINESSES throughout the year with DECENT OWNERS and STAFF.

bLiNd_SiDeD
12-19-2008, 09:17 PM
I for one love sending cards, I try and reuse them, one of my aunts showed me how to make your own paper and incorperate the front of older ones in, I only send a few out, but they are usually international ones or across the country. As for me I enjoy getting cards in the mail, and i know my girl loves getting them also.

Koss
12-20-2008, 03:10 AM
If anyone has any more card writing stamina left, here's a little girl who's looking for a Christmas Card.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28302834/

moochie
12-20-2008, 03:14 AM
If anyone has any more card writing stamina left, here's a little girl who's looking for a Christmas Card.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28302834/

awwwwwww... damn

Limitations
12-20-2008, 08:23 AM
[QUOTE=moochie;381744]awwwwwww... damn[QUOTE]

RESPONSE
By Ms. Marisa Belsito

The excuse of a child, children, or whatever "family" designation has been part of the biggest form of high pressure SALES trickery in local history.

No matter in how many other areas of the world this is going on, it does not justify it.

lol

(not mockery nor vanity)

tippikitty
12-20-2008, 10:13 AM
My mother-in-law sends cards for everything, and I mean everything. It's her hobby. She puts stickers all over the envelops and cards and when you see it in the mail you know who it's from right away. She also only gets her cards from Hallmark so I can't even imagine what she spends on cards. But it's what makes her happy.

Chaotic Chick
12-20-2008, 10:15 AM
My mother-in-law sends cards for everything, and I mean everything. It's her hobby. She puts stickers all over the envelops and cards and when you see it in the mail you know who it's from right away. She also only gets her cards from Hallmark so I can't even imagine what she spends on cards. But it's what makes her happy.

My grandmother does that. When she writes us a letter, she also writes a card. When she sends us an update on things, she sends a card. She sends them at all holidays and birthdays, etc. Then again, my grandmother is 85 so email and such is not her forte. lol

tippikitty
12-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Well my mother-in-law is in her late 70's so it maybe it's an age thing. I'm not even sure she knows what a computer is. :slol:

Andre
12-20-2008, 12:34 PM
I got a Christmas card and put it on top of my tv.
How long should I leave it there? Is there any etiquette for how long one should keep the card?

Chaotic Chick
12-20-2008, 12:36 PM
George Costanza says that it is proper etiquette to keep a card for a minimum of two days. I don't know; I keep Christmas cards until I take my Christmas tree down.

Andre
12-20-2008, 12:40 PM
George Costanza got his face pressed into Elaine's boobs over a nip slip.
Are you sure it's only two days?

Chaotic Chick
12-20-2008, 12:46 PM
George told Jerry it was two days. George is an idiot though, so I would definitely not heed his advice. Then Kramer had to stick his nose in it and tell Jerry to cash Nana's cheques, she went missing and it was a mess. Why does he listen to either of them?

I usually have cards out til about the 27th and then I feel bad about throwing them out, so I stick them in a drawer where they sit until the next Christmas. Or until someone else throws them out. lol

Andre
12-20-2008, 12:53 PM
face pressed into boobs and a nip slip.
two days
regular card a week or so....ok got it

personally i'd keep the nip slip longer

Tutones
12-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Yes an impersonal email CC'ed to everyone on the planet is so much better than a Nice Christmas Card that says 'I consider you important and special in my life'.

[read sarcasm here]

We are becoming such a self involved society it actually makes me nauseous.

hp2
12-20-2008, 04:38 PM
I Love recieving cards.. This yr I was a little less formal.. I set the printer up to print all our names in the inside and printed them all that way as I have messy hand writting and hate writting them.. I then printed all return address labels as well.. I then printed all envolopes aswell with each person address one by one so it was not another sticky address label.. I actually got alot of comments on them.. so I was happy... I mailed mine by the 3rd of dec...

Limitations
12-20-2008, 04:52 PM
[QUOTE=hp2;381881]I Love recieving cards.. This yr I was a little less formal.. I set the printer up to print all our names in the inside and printed them all that way as I have messy hand writting and hate writting them.. I then printed all return address labels as well.. I then printed all envolopes aswell with each person address one by one so it was not another sticky address label.. I actually got alot of comments on them.. so I was happy... I mailed mine by the 3rd of dec...[QUOTE]

As I matured to adulthood my did I make changes that resulted in an ongoing growth and development of my innate giftedness.

moochie
12-20-2008, 05:50 PM
But isnt the card exchange thing a bit like the gift exchange thing, when someone attempts at it and buys you something, you feel the need to buy something for them back and when does this stop? Youre just making the stores richer

Peety
12-20-2008, 05:52 PM
I Love recieving cards.. This yr I was a little less formal.. I set the printer up to print all our names in the inside and printed them all that way as I have messy hand writting and hate writting them.. I then printed all return address labels as well.. I then printed all envolopes aswell with each person address one by one so it was not another sticky address label.. I actually got alot of comments on them.. so I was happy... I mailed mine by the 3rd of dec...

I thought you had nice hand writing!!!!

moochie
12-20-2008, 05:54 PM
I thought you had nice hand writing!!!!

My hand writings cryptic