PDA

View Full Version : where does it go?

Macs II
12-18-2008, 11:05 PM
Does anyone know what grocery stores do with the food they can't sell anymore? .....like I know some are trying to sell meat at reduced prices but not all ....what do they do with all the food .....garbage? or do they give any to the soup kitchen or anywhere else?

Chaotic Chick
12-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Some stores give food that is almost at the expiry date to different social services organizations in the Sault. For instance, Food Basics gives food to a few that I know of.

Babzz
12-18-2008, 11:07 PM
I think they might get credit with the company.. not certain though

Macs II
12-18-2008, 11:09 PM
Are there any that have a policy that it must be thrown out ....?

Peety
12-18-2008, 11:10 PM
When I worked at the grocery store we threw it in the garbage,

Babzz
12-18-2008, 11:11 PM
When i worked in a grocery store lunch bar years ago.. the left overs had to be tossed.. Reduced first and then tossed if not sold.. I hated doing that.. Such a waste

Chaotic Chick
12-18-2008, 11:11 PM
The grocery store I worked at (it was about 20 years ago mind you) just threw it all out.

Macs II
12-18-2008, 11:19 PM
thats a shame when so many people go hungry and the food is still perfectly good....why not give it to somewhere

Peety
12-18-2008, 11:20 PM
thats a shame when so many people go hungry and the food is still perfectly good....why not give it to somewhere

Any thing I threw out was no good for any one to eat.

rmkryan
12-18-2008, 11:22 PM
i asked my mom about this before and it is for liaility reasons. if a company gave food and it was almost expired or at the expiration date and some one ate it and got sick then they would be liable if they *donated* it.. which is why they throw it out.

Macs II
12-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Any thing I threw out was no good for any one to eat.

what kind of store waits until the food goes bad until they throw it out ....I would never shop there LOL

Macs II
12-18-2008, 11:24 PM
i asked my mom about this before and it is for liaility reasons. if a company gave food and it was almost expired or at the expiration date and some one ate it and got sick then they would be liable if they *donated* it.. which is why they throw it out.

thats just an excuse ...there's ways around that

12-18-2008, 11:36 PM

Tim Horton's does the same thing with the baking. It gets tossed in the dumpsters.

Babzz
12-18-2008, 11:41 PM
KFC does the same thing.. my sister manages one
What a waste.. so many homeless and they toss it

scalerman
12-19-2008, 12:38 AM
I think those dump bears are onto something lol

Macs II
12-19-2008, 12:45 AM
I guess I just have this idea that you should never waste food..when so many have hardly any

Misschix
12-19-2008, 12:47 AM
Tim Hortons does NOT toss it in the dumpsters..

If there is left over muffins....usually they get donated to a certain school....
Donuts....get donated to farmers.......(pig ones) from two tim hortons in town that I know of....
How do I know......cause i used to bake and give them to the people they would come pick them up...after they were cooked at the end of the night around 3 am...they would be put in bags and placed in the freezer....until they were ready for pick up usually about twice a week......

EyelashExtensions
12-19-2008, 02:06 AM
There was a big thing about this on t.v. with people in the U.S. going dumpster diving and finding TONS of food that they live off of. Can't say I would do that voluntarily but hey it works for some people.

HBomb
12-19-2008, 02:18 AM
what kind of store waits until the food goes bad until they throw it out ....I would never shop there LOL

I think a lot of stores do? I mean, I really doubt they would throw out perfectly good food.

Anapeg
12-19-2008, 02:19 AM
Some like R.J.'s will take when the meat is at it's expiration date will freeze it and then box it and sell in $50.00 lots (worth slightly more) and sell to anyone who might need or want it. I've tried but they always stick at least one if not two porketta(sp) roasts in and I find them icky.

GRUMPY
12-19-2008, 08:46 AM
some stores will wash their over due chickens then coat them with all those spices and resell them.

Simba
12-19-2008, 08:54 AM
:sbad:

SusyQ
12-19-2008, 09:11 AM
some stores will wash their over due chickens then coat them with all those spices and resell them.

git outta here.....gross!

GRUMPY
12-19-2008, 09:14 AM
my brother's old girl friend used to work in a store and she warned us to under no circumstances to buy one. just think about it for a mere second if the chicken was good why would they hide it under all those spices?

Simba
12-19-2008, 09:14 AM
definately noted!

Chaotic Chick
12-19-2008, 09:18 AM

Yep, they do! That is why I always tell my husband not to buy the chickens or pork with spices on them. He doesn't believe me and has bought a couple of packs of chicken like that. Ew.

Limitations
12-19-2008, 09:20 AM
[QUOTE]i asked my mom about this before and it is for liaility reasons. if a company gave food and it was almost expired or at the expiration date and some one ate it and got sick then they would be liable if they *donated* it.. which is why they throw it out.[QUOTE]

I do not really know who is doing what yet it would only be sensible for managers and owners to serioulsy look at what is going on to see for solutions that involve sales and/or staff first while considering other reasonable options.

The organizational mentality that enables illegitimate claims without doing what is within reason to expect responsible behavior including involving themselves with relations is really doing the area a lot of harm.

That includes United Way.

No matter what is the situation elsewhere it does not justify the local reality.

Chester Field
12-19-2008, 09:31 AM
There was a big thing about this on t.v. with people in the U.S. going dumpster diving and finding TONS of food that they live off of. Can't say I would do that voluntarily but hey it works for some people.

That happens here in town too. Fast food places have a shelf life for their cooked food and the homeless, desperate and transients know it. The cops have been called to McDs lots of times over the years to remove someone waiting for a bag of 15 minute old, wrapped burgers.

BlueSky
12-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Git out of here. If a chicken is bad, it cannot be covered up with spices! Spices won't stop a good case of salmonella!

I used to raise a couple of pigs in the country, and would get the leftovers fom a cafeteria at the hospital. I did that for one year, and then they no longer allowed it. They also cited liability reasons.
My pigs ate better than I did. Mashed potatoes, gravy and yorkshire pudding. mmm.

Chester Field
12-19-2008, 09:34 AM
what kind of store waits until the food goes bad until they throw it out ....I would never shop there LOL Some of the stores in town keep in on their shelves long past the expiration date, to try to sell it. you should Always Plan to check the date on everything, even Basic food items.

GRUMPY
12-19-2008, 09:34 AM
then by all means eat it and enjoy.

SusyQ
12-19-2008, 09:35 AM
hahahahahahahaha

lynys
12-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Spiced chicken is so yummy!!!!!!!! :P

Peety
12-19-2008, 09:43 AM
my brother's old girl friend used to work in a store and she warned us to under no circumstances to buy one. just think about it for a mere second if the chicken was good why would they hide it under all those spices?

That is true.
The beef is kept and rewrapped till its so dark it can't be sold then grounded into hambger.

kitca
12-19-2008, 09:46 AM
i was just reading an article in either the paper or a magazine about food waste. it said that 40% of the food in north america is wasted. can you believe that! almost half of the food is garbage! and people are literally starving and dying in other countries! actually, there are people starving here in our own country or even our own city.

it bothers me, nothing is ever wasted, if we dont eat it, it goes to the birds or animals and if it doesnt go there it goes to the compost. thats at home or when we eat out.

i dont know why the grocery stores dont do what rj's does and freeze the fresh meat before it hits expiration so it doesnt go bad.

besides the horrible waste, it is us, the consumers, who ultimatly pay the cost for all the waste.

$Spendbender$
12-19-2008, 09:49 AM

The kind of store that has the first and sixteenth letters of the alphabet in their name.

I've spent so much time in that store returning so many outdated products and green meat that they invite me to the staff Christmas parties now.

You'd think I'd learn to check the dates on stuff before I leave the store, but nooooo... Sometimes I'm just in a hurry and ASSUME the people who work in the meat/produce/deli departments would do that for me.

Misschix
12-19-2008, 09:53 AM
I always check meat before i buy it and i freeze it immediately
Hubby likes to buy discount meat i tell him he is disgusting and i wont eat it....
he tries to tell me they cant sell it unless it is good...YUCK i say

$Spendbender$
12-19-2008, 09:55 AM
Well, yes..I check it too. But when you get home and unwrap it and flip it over and the underside is all green...GROSS!

I honestly can't count on both hands how many times that's happened.

Misschix
12-19-2008, 09:56 AM
that is absolutely disgusting

Peety
12-19-2008, 09:57 AM
I always check meat before i buy it and i freeze it immediately
Hubby likes to buy discount meat i tell him he is disgusting and i wont eat it....
he tries to tell me they cant sell it unless it is good...YUCK i say

Tell him when they freeze it it's already has a smell,,Yuck ,,

$Spendbender$
12-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Nothing like nice fresh meat from Prime Cuts. That's another one for the "good business" thread. Excellent meat, excellent service.

MaO3
12-19-2008, 10:04 AM
This is why I buy a cow!

Peety
12-19-2008, 10:17 AM
This is why I buy a cow!

Thats the best way!!!!!

moochie
12-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Thats a question i always asked too, well i think they do like the restaurants do and throw it all away or just send back the non perishable ones to the company?

Toto
12-19-2008, 11:59 AM
You'd think I'd learn to check the dates on stuff before I leave the store, but nooooo... Sometimes I'm just in a hurry and ASSUME the people who work in the meat/produce/deli departments would do that for me.

Not a chance! I wouldn't count on anyone to look out for me - too risky. I have to do it myself. Besides, the labelling can be so confusing, depending on whether the meat is a brand name or the store's meat. Some are labelled "Sell by:" or "Best before:" or "Package on:". Regardless, it seems that you take your chances no matter how it's labelled because we don't know how long the meat has been hanging around in the back before it's finally put out for sale.

Meat is something I'm very careful about because it can turn very quickly and make you sick. Other things are not so serious. I have no problem buying old muffins, for example. Dried out muffins can be quickly rejuvenated by wrapping in a wet paper towel and thrown in the micro. You can't do that with meat. Old meat (like or fruits and veggies) becomes garbage.

$Spendbender$
12-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Exactly, that's why I've since stopped buying meat from there alltogether. I don't trust them.

I just thought that it's part of their job to check for expired product and pull it off the shelf. I guess not.

Andre
12-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Those places(ending with ils, ics,) put the expired stuff on sale.
Hell you have to even look for best before dates on canned goods at those places.

moochie
12-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Those places(ending with ils, ics,) put the expired stuff on sale.

so whats wrong with eating that stuff?

BooBooMyKy
12-19-2008, 01:04 PM
i herd that close to the expired date that say A&P would ship all almost expired foods to Food basic then they try and sell it at a discount but after it expires then some companies will give a credit for the foods.. .......just something i herd when food basics first came to the soo..........

moochie
12-19-2008, 01:15 PM
so whats wrong with eatin something 1 day before it expires, its not like youre gonna die or something