PDA

View Full Version : Fondant and wedding cakes?

EyelashExtensions
12-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Has anyone worked with fondant before? I'm considering making my own wedding cake. I have a little over a year to practice, so I figured I could do some birthday cakes for friends and relatives. Any tips and pointers would be GREAT! Also, did you make your own fondant or buy it? I plan on making my own so I shall see how it goes.

Evangeline
12-20-2008, 11:38 PM
I'm also considering making my own wedding cake, I really don't want to spend hundreds on a cake! If I can find someone who does it cheaper on the side I'll go with that, but if not I am thinking of making a cake, or just doing cupcakes with a small cake on the top of the stand for cutting and decoration.

I have no idea how to use fontant.

cambar
12-21-2008, 10:48 AM
I heard that they do classes for cakes and fondant at the bulk store in the Station Mall

kitca
12-21-2008, 11:22 AM
i dont know if you can practise with fondant for regular birthday cakes. if i remember right it is a thick paste, i dont think it would go well on a regular cake. i think you use it over a harder fruit cake.

if you have a year you could practise with regular yype icing. to practise you just beat up for a couple minutes some cheap shortening. you can get a styro cake to use as practise. first you need to get a nice smooth base then practise with some of the tubes you can get at the bulk store. you wah off the styro and re use the shortening over and over. then for birthdays make real cake and buttercream and practise for real.

i know that doesnt really answer your question on fondant, i dont know about fondant, but wanted to offer a different option.

EyelashExtensions
12-21-2008, 10:03 PM
You use a pound cake I know that. It is one of the only cakes that will hold the weight. I'm thinking of doing one in Styrofoam for my wedding and than making a regular yummy cake to serve people at my wedding, but I'm going to try a white chocolate pound cake with chocolate ganache filling, butter cream layer and marshmallow fondant to do flowers and vines on the cake with some colored imprints on the white fondant that covers the cake. I'm going to attempt to make the fondant myself if all else fails I will order it online and try the pre-made stuff. I will try to call the bulk barn though and see if they have classes. I don't even know if they have fondant for sale already made there. I want a 5 layer cake though, eek. I can buy the cutters to make the flowers I want, and I can order the "sticks" and "glue" or make my own to attach them. I would really love to be able to eat my actual wedding cake though and still have it look beautiful and taste good. Fondant isn't the tastiest though, but apparently the marshmallow fondant is.

I'm pretty good with regular icing and decorating that way but I want something like this...

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/lizzardskills/newweddingcake.jpg

These are similar to the colors I plan on having in my wedding....fuchsia and lilac/lavender, I want to use the flowers from my garden to make my arrangements too, with my main flower being fuchsia.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/lizzardskills/WeddingCake.jpg

goodasgold
12-21-2008, 10:45 PM
This is the only thing that I have done so far with fondant. It was my son's birthday cake this year. I made my own marshmellow fondant from a recipe I found online. It was quite messy to make, but pretty easy. I did find the premade stuff at Bulk Barn. It comes in a 4lb tub. It's not the marshmellow one, it is made with glycerin.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d82/goodasgold66/Picture007-2.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d82/goodasgold66/Picture009.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d82/goodasgold66/Picture010.jpg

kitca
12-21-2008, 11:24 PM
WOW! goodasgold, that looks fantastic. wow too lizzardskills, those cakes are just gorgeous, you sound like you know what youre doing and will figure it out.

i cant believe how far cake decorating has come! i worked in a bakery 25 years ago, wedding cakes were their speciality and i learned so much, i even made a few for my friends - but - i just wouldnt even know anymore.

EyelashExtensions
12-22-2008, 02:02 AM
That's cool goodasgold....my daughters birthday is in February and I'm still trying to figure out what to do for hers. I want to try fondant though. I wonder if the marshmallow fondant recipe is the same as the one I want to try. I found mine online too. It's supposed to be the tastiest stuff. Do you know if they had different colors of fondant? at bulk barn....I think I want to make the marshmallow stuff though. Was it on the what'scookingamerica.com website?

goodasgold
12-22-2008, 10:59 AM
This is the recipe I used. I added some clear vanilla flavouring too. The stuff at Bulk Barn comes only in white. You need to buy the colouring, gel works best, to get your colours.

16 ounces white mini-marshmallows (use a good quality brand)
2 to 5 tablespoons water
2 pounds icing sugar (please use C&H Cane Powdered Sugar for the best results)

1/2 cup Crisco shortening (you will be digging into it so place in a very easily accessed bowl)

Melt marshmallows and 2 tablespoons of water in a microwave or double boiler: Put the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds, open microwave and stir, back in microwave for 30 seconds more, open microwave and stir again, and continue doing this until melted. It usually takes about 2 minutes total. Place 3/4 of the powdered sugar on the top of the melted marshmallow mix.

Now grease your hands GENEROUSLY - palms, backs and in between fingers, then heavily grease the counter you will be using and dump the bowl of marshmallow/sugar mixture in the middle.

Start kneading like you would bread dough. You will immediately see why you have greased your hands. Keep kneading, this stuff is sticky at this stage! Add the rest of the powdered sugar and knead some more. Re-grease your hands and counter when the fondant is sticking. If the mix is tearing easily, it is to dry, so add water (about tablespoon at a time then knead it in). It usually takes me about 8 minutes to get a firm smooth elastic ball so that it will stretch without tearing when you apply it to the cake.

Its best if you can let it sit, double wrapped, overnight (but you can use it right away if there are no tiny bits of dry powdered sugar). If you do see them, you will need to knead and maybe add a few more drops of water.

Prepare the fondant for storing by coating it with a good layer of Crisco shortening, wrap in a plastic- type wrap product and then put it in a re-sealable or Ziploc bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible.

MM Fondant will hold very well in the refrigerator for weeks. If I know that I have a cake to decorate, I usually make 2 batches on a free night during the week so it is ready when I need it. Take advantage of the fact that this fondant can be prepared well in advance

EyelashExtensions
12-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Is it as tasty as it says? That's the same recipe I was looking at.

goodasgold
12-23-2008, 12:01 AM
It's quite sweet. Not something I really enjoy alot of. I ended up taking the fondant off to eat mine. My middle son ended up eating a whole bone though, so I guess he liked it. lol

kozy99
12-23-2008, 07:47 PM
I know someone who makes wedding cakes on the side, let me know if you're interested and I can send her your contact information. Her cakes are pretty amazing. She's doing mine for my wedding next July.