PDA

View Full Version : Furnace Problems

Stumpy
12-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Anyone here having furnace problems? We have been trying for the past 3 hours to get a hold of a certain company who has an 866 number and it's kind of getting a little cold in here. All we get is a busy signal. Even resorted to putting our drier on so we can get a little bit of heat.

italiandomino
12-29-2008, 11:00 PM
why not try another company then

Macs II
12-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Yay for electric heathttp://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q104/Macs20006/plush-1.gif

GRUMPY
12-29-2008, 11:05 PM
gas or oil? high efficiency or normal? if it is a high efficiency gas one go out side and check the exhaust pipe to see that there isn't a snow/ice build up.

Andre
12-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Your furnace likely has a top and middle cover.
If you can remove the middle cover and cant see a pilot lite. there's your problem.

Jackie B
12-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Can you turn your stove on 200 and leave the door open for a while?

H.E. Pennypacker
12-29-2008, 11:19 PM
Can you turn your stove on 200 and leave the door open for a while?

real smart :P

kitca
12-29-2008, 11:20 PM
our hot water died last nite, and the company said they have been really really busy today. dont know what is going on today, but maybe they really are that busy.

that said, its freezing! we use the hairdryer to warm up our bed before we jump in, if that helps. i hope you can get ahold of the company soon.

Jackie B
12-29-2008, 11:23 PM
real smart :P

Is that sarcasm? LOL We do it here in January and February sometimes when it gets really cold.

GRUMPY
12-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Your furnace likely has a top and middle cover.
If you can remove the middle cover and cant see a pilot lite. there's your problem.

That just tells him there is no pilot light but not why,but it won't hurt to try to restart it.

Jackie B
12-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Ah, okay. I was wondering there for a minute. We didn't have to do it last year, but the couple of years before it we did a few times. The kids liked to sit around it as though it were a fireplace. LOL

Macs II
12-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Is that sarcasm? LOL We do it here in January and February sometimes when it gets really cold.

If thats true you really need to get another house

Jackie B
12-29-2008, 11:51 PM
My house was built in 1900. I think it's doing pretty well, considering.

Macs II
12-29-2008, 11:54 PM
My house was built in 1900. I think it's doing pretty well, considering.

It's over 100 years old ..I'm surprised it's still standing up :tongue:

NewAgeGal
12-29-2008, 11:58 PM
At 9 am Monday I started phoning furnace/fireplace businesses, looking for somebody to come out here. I couldn't even get on a waiting list they're so busy!! In my case I can wait. The blower motor on my gas fireplace croaked on Christmas Eve, and I ca'sn wait till after New Years and try to find somebody then. Two of the local businesses are shut down for the Christmas/New Year's break. Maybe when they get back to work the pressure will let up.

Andre
12-30-2008, 12:19 AM
That just tells him there is no pilot light but not why,but it won't hurt to try to restart it.
I only studied for months why lighting you pilot lite may blow up in your face.
But ya, thats it, click your bic and correct the problem.
If you're familiar with re-liteing a pilot lite..go ahead.
If you've never done it before, you might be more comfortable calling somebody.

Tutones
12-30-2008, 12:32 AM
I know when the power goes out here sometimes we have to use our furnace reset switch to get it started up again. If your pilot light is still lit, try that.

Bouffer
12-30-2008, 06:46 AM
all you can do if it is a automatic ignition furnace is take the bottom door, that will reset the furnace and it may start again. But if you have an old furnace and the pilot light went out all you have to do it turn the **** on the gas valve to pilot hold it down and put a lighter to it (make sure that when the button is pushed down you light it right away). Hold the button down for about 30 seconds to make sure the flame sensor read that there is a pilot light. Then turn the **** to on and it should fire up. This is also the way to relight old standing pilot water heaters. Or if there is a sparker on your water heater spark it until the pilot is on hold for 30 seconds and then release and turn gas valve to on. Hope I helped. :D

Punkin
12-30-2008, 07:11 AM
Yep, our furnace (or rather boiler) completely died on Sunday the 21st. Luckily we had someone out that morning to confirm after they tried fixing a couple parts, a sales guy out here Monday to give us a quote and the new boiler installed yesterday! Thank goodness we have a smaller house that an electric fireplace for the basement & 2 electric heaters were more than enough for a week!! (And warmer temps!) I feel your pain and hope you get it fixed quickly!! :)

Super Gram
12-31-2008, 09:44 AM
We have a contract with a firm that checks our furnace every year. It also has free calls if no heat.