PDA

View Full Version : Snow blower won't start!

Anapeg
12-30-2008, 12:26 PM
I have an older snow blower and my son in law put a full bottle (small from six pack) of gas line antifreeze into the full gas tank (estimate about 4-6litre). Would that affect the run ability? The machine just came back from a dealer $155.00 tune up and it quit, BEFORE the antifreeze was added. Now I can't convince it to run.

Barry Morris
12-30-2008, 12:31 PM
That's too much, but it should still run. Why did he do that?? I have NEVER put any in my snowblower.

Try this. Take the wife's hair dryer and warm up the carb area.

Anapeg
12-30-2008, 06:46 PM
God bless his little pointed head. I haven't a clue what was going through his mind. I am going to put a sixty watt bulb under the tarp near the carb and I'll get on it in the AM. I'm too pooped to pop right now. Thanks Barry hope it works , 'cause if it doesn't the repair mans going to get a visit from one PO'ed customer.

Barry Morris
12-30-2008, 07:16 PM
BTW, what engine do you have??

I kinda "forced" my Tecumseh to start up this year. Did the hairdryer trick for a little heat first. I took the recoil off. I filled the tank with new gas, pumped the primer then I cranked the engine with my half inch electric drill and an adapter/socket on the cup nut inside the recoil.

THAT started it up. As a matter of fact, I STILL haven't put the recoil back on!!

GRUMPY
12-30-2008, 09:09 PM
I would drain the gas tank and put in fresh gas. Most of the books that come with them state not to use any gas line antifreeze at all. after that you could place a tarp over it and stick an interior car heater under it for a while till it gets nice and warm but the main thing is to get rid of that gas thats in it now.

General Lee
12-30-2008, 09:40 PM
BTW, what engine do you have??

I kinda "forced" my Tecumseh to start up this year. Did the hairdryer trick for a little heat first. I took the recoil off. I filled the tank with new gas, pumped the primer then I cranked the engine with my half inch electric drill and an adapter/socket on the cup nut inside the recoil.

THAT started it up. As a matter of fact, I STILL haven't put the recoil back on!!

i just blew the piston in mine looking for another motor

Anapeg
12-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Keep you posted, you might be able to buy mine,.............cheep!

General Lee
12-31-2008, 02:56 PM
let me know i just may lol

Fat Boy
01-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Baaahhaaa. He did what dad? I'll be over in a bit. If we can't get it started we'll roast marshmellows on it's charred remains when I am done.

Anapeg
01-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Hey Devil spawn, don't forget a quart of "magic fire starter".

BAILEYDOG
01-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Anapeg did the antifreeze containe methenol? My snowblower guy said as long as it doesn't have that it should be ok, not that much mind you but he said that the ethanol will break down the seals inside the motor. Check the bottle if you still have it, the one I got says that "does not contain methanol". I'm hoping to get my machine back in the next day or so.

Anapeg
01-04-2009, 05:33 PM
I think my wife will give me the time to check that, thanks. When do you want to jump on your job, I'm still waiting for your call.

BAILEYDOG
01-04-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm almost finished the outside wall frame and put up some of the electrical boxes. I'm off on wed-fri so if your free?

Anapeg
01-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Wednesday AM good for you?

BAILEYDOG
01-06-2009, 04:10 PM
yes I'll be home working on it.

Anapeg
01-06-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm there, old man.

Anapeg
01-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Blower works like a charm. I couldn't tell you why. We changed the plug and turned it over with the impact and away it went. Seems that my son in law is partial to the new 'electric' start and wants it to stay. Now we have to adjust the belts as the new one's have stretched. Thanks for all the help and encouragement it helped a lot.