PDA

View Full Version : Car starter

Hope
01-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Whats your opinion on the name brands and dealers? The best warranty. Ya I checked it out, just want personal opinions. Thanks for the input.

General Lee
01-02-2009, 09:38 PM
i would goto car trek seeing the specilize i that stuff and auto start is a awsome brand i have one in my 96 intrepid and have not had any issues with it yet and it has been there since new

D0bb3r
01-02-2009, 09:45 PM
MUNTZ stereo is the place to go ..
they do gr8 work dont cut corners and stand behind their work

friend of mine got his done at car trek and the damn thing wouldnt shut off one day ..
key out of the ignition ... ended up pulling the wires out of the alternator !!

General Lee
01-02-2009, 09:58 PM

friend of mine got his done at car trek and the damn thing wouldnt shut off one day ..

i have an Viper alarm installed from there and the damm thing goes off whenever it wants and will not shut off i have to disconect the battery

i am sure everyone has their issues with different places

General Lee
01-02-2009, 09:59 PM
whatever u do.....do not go to future shop

Anapeg
01-04-2009, 06:35 AM
Go see Sunny on Bruce and have your own rebuilt, cheap and effective.

General Lee
01-04-2009, 08:23 AM
i thought they were refering to an automatic starter opps

Anapeg
01-04-2009, 05:34 PM
You got me. Not much info to go on.

Hope
01-04-2009, 06:32 PM
I was referring to a remote starter, you know it's cold " hey push the button" Not a actual starter but now I know where to go for that. Thanks

Barry Morris
01-04-2009, 08:55 PM
I'll give you one opinion on them. I suspect they can cause excessive engiine wear. Too much cold idling will wear the cylinder walls way before their time.
I'd rather use an in car heater, and block heater.

General Lee
01-05-2009, 07:06 PM
I'll give you one opinion on them. I suspect they can cause excessive engiine wear. Too much cold idling will wear the cylinder walls way before their time.

there has been one in my 1996 intrepid since 96 (218,000km later) motor runs like the day it was bought..... i do not think they harm the car

Sillyme
01-05-2009, 07:13 PM

Driving your car will cause it to wear out too, but I guess if you are there to serve the car and not the other way around.....

Check the price and warranty between both places recommended. You'll find one has a lifetime warranty, and about $40 less for the same product. The other is $40 more and a 1 year warranty.
Neither one use much Viper any more. Muntz sells Autostart only (under the Polarstart label), Car Trek sells Autostart, Astrostart, Ultrastart, and Autopage.
Neither one will likely get you in before February. They are both booked solid.

Anapeg
01-05-2009, 08:36 PM
I just did some on line checking and found out gobs of information. The major complaint was that after market installs don't always go smoothly with as many as three (common) call backs to have the unit work properly. Also if your vehicle experiences electrical failure your remote starter needs to be reset or re calibrated. You can also in cold weather experience a non start and have everything dead when you go out.

Some manufacturers have a vehicle running light on the remote so you can tell if it started (factory installs). I can't find out if this available for after market.

As to Barry's comments I might stand corrected but I believe he is a licensed mechanic, so he bears a listen. I have never had one as I believe in circulating in line water heaters and a thermal plug. Instant heat and cheap to operate.

starterwiz
01-05-2009, 10:40 PM
That's great if you're at home, and plugged in.
Many people like the convenience of being able to start their car no matter where they park, without the hassle of a plug-in.
I have no plug in at work, but I can always get into my car with the windows nicely defrosted. I can afford the extra gas that it uses.
It's very true that the majority of aftermarket installs can cause problems, especially if the parts used are less than perfect (read cheap) or the install isn't done well.
There are many different ways to get to the same outcome, and some just work better than others in the long run.
The important thing is to get a good install, with a solid guarantee. There is NO shop anywhere that can claim a zero failure rate on any product. The best we can hope for is that the rate is low, and that any problems that do arise will be fixed quickly, and properly.
If you can afford the luxury of a remote starter, then you likely won't care what shape your cylinder walls are in at 220,000k. You'll have a new car by then anyways.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
01-06-2009, 10:29 AM
My starter in the van has been in for at least 8 years and never had a problem. Good job Starterwiz. On another note, if you always have access to a plug then no problem, however, when I am at work and cannot plug my vehicle in and it gets very cold I like the option of my cold start. If my car would not periodically start when needed (cold temps) I would guarantee it would not start from many past experiences. The starter for my work car is almost 10 years old and the engine still purrs like a kitten...

Barry Morris
01-06-2009, 11:33 AM
I had a Honda with about 150,000 on it. The former owner used the car starter to run the car when the engine got down to cold. As I said, too much cold idling, and that engine burned oil like a pig. Very unusual for a Honda.

euro
01-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Barry is right. Excessive idling is very damaging to most modern engines. Some cars will not even warm up much if left idling after cold temperature starts. They should be driven gently to warm them up. Or, as suggested, use a heater and interior warmer if you can plug it in.

starterwiz
01-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Just a few ideas regarding remote starting a vehicle.
I always suggest leaving your defroster set at less than full blast when parking your car.
The fan set to high will actually take longer to defrost the window, as it takes the motor longer to warm up.

Expect a law in the future against idling your car for much more than 2 minutes or so. It's already out in some cities.
Most remote starters can be easily re-programmed for between 2 and 5 minutes run time.
It's a bit of a trade-off between issues tho: It's just not safe to start a car and begin driving until the windows are clear. It's not environmentally friendly to idle your car longer than neccessary either.

Another couple of tips.
Roll down your windows just before parking to let the warm moist air out. Your windows won't frost up as badly. Also keep yor floor mats clean and as dry as possible. The less moisture in the carpets the better from many perspectives. Not only do the windows stay clear, but many cars have wiring harnesses under the carpets that can corrode from salty water.

Always make sure to turn your wipers off. Some remotes will power up the wipers when you start, and they don't like to move a mountain of snow.

corn316
01-08-2009, 03:20 PM
the most problems with car starter is that when the batterie dies it has to be reprogramed thats where the problem lies so when you buy one keep the idot book in the glove comparment and and reset it when this happens and read all the opptions it has and u will understand what happens with all these problems u get

fenderbass
01-08-2009, 07:07 PM
My thoughts on remote starters..From a mechanics view, If its install correctly and not hacked in then its a great after market feature. But if its hacked in like I see time and time again..Then your asking for trouble! Trust me. I've seen some hacked remote starters
and lots from local shops...That claim they know what there doing!

Andre
01-08-2009, 08:07 PM
I've dealt with both CarTek and and Muntz.
They're both good.
Personally I prefer Cartek over Muntz but I'd go to them if I couldn't get into Carteck.
Someones said not to go to futureshop and I agree. I also wouldn't go to Canadian Tire.

starterwiz
01-09-2009, 01:43 AM
Most starters don't need to be re-programmed when the battery dies. The problem is usually the person doing the boosting not following the proper procedure when hooking up. A big spark will and does jolt the memmory, and for safety's sake the starters quit.

It's important to have a good battery when using any electonic devices.
Starters, alarms, stereos...they all work with volttage and current, and while "the car always starts OK with the key" the remote takes a bit more juice to work properly.
The cheaper the remote start, the more sensitive they seem to be to a less than perfect environment and install.

starterwiz
01-09-2009, 01:55 AM
... Trust me. I've seen some hacked remote starters
and lots from local shops...That claim they know what there doing!

I have to agree Gear. I have had my share of bad jobs go out. Good help is very hard to find.
I have trained a lot of apprentices over the years, and some get it, and some never will.
If I could find that cloning machine, I'd be quaduplets, and would never worry about it.
I'm glad that I have a good team now, but I am not ready to take days off just yet.
Maybe next year. I've been saying that for 29 now.

Good reason to make sure that the warranty is not just words.

Carolyn
01-09-2009, 08:08 AM
What is a good price to have one installed? I inquired at the place I take my van for work done and a one way starter is $325 installed and a two way is $550 installed. Does that sound about right? I have a 2007 Pontiac Montana SV6

General Lee
01-09-2009, 08:20 AM
i want one in my s 10 but i am not spending 300+ to have one installed i ll just suffer and go out in the cold and start it mabey my wife will get me one next year =)

_daynzy
01-09-2009, 08:52 AM
i want one in my s 10 but i am not spending 300+ to have one installed i ll just suffer and go out in the cold and start it mabey my wife will get me one next year =)

Just tell her that if she starts your car all winter she can have the summer off. :D

starterwiz
01-09-2009, 10:04 AM
What is a good price to have one installed? I inquired at the place I take my van for work done and a one way starter is $325 installed and a two way is $550 installed. Does that sound about right? I have a 2007 Pontiac Montana SV6

$328 sounds about right for a one way system with 2 remotes, locks, and about 600 ft of usable range (the units claim up to 2200 ft, but that's across a lake or cow field).
If you need better range, I usually suggest a good one way, rather than a 2 way, unless you are consistantly using it at extreme distances.
The reason I say that, is that the transmitters are quite pricey in 2 way systems, usually well over $100, and most only come with a 1 year warranty. Since the 2 way remotes are more complicated, (read "more to break"), and keys take quite a beating in daily use, the cost to replace a possible broken remote needs to be considered.
It's nice to have the confirmation that the thing worked, (or didn't work), but I'd rather spend ny money on a 1-way that works every time, instead of a 2-way that lets me know it didn't work. If that makes sense.
The Astrostart 2000 foot range 1-way would cost you $408 in the SV-6, and it works very consistantly out to about 1/4 mile in most vehicles, in the real world.

fenderbass
01-09-2009, 10:09 PM
What is a good price to have one installed? I inquired at the place I take my van for work done and a one way starter is $325 installed and a two way is $550 installed. Does that sound about right? I have a 2007 Pontiac Montana SV62007 SV6 can have the BCM(Body Control Modual)programed if it was equipped with AP8(RPO CODE) $160 with two new remotes no wiring required and about 1hr labor at the Dealer. So for about 260 and tax your SV6 will have a remote start dealer installed.

starterwiz
01-10-2009, 05:49 AM
2007 SV6 can have the BCM(Body Control Modual)programed if it was equipped with AP8(RPO CODE) $160 with two new remotes no wiring required and about 1hr labor at the Dealer. So for about 260 and tax your SV6 will have a remote start dealer installed.

Then for another $299 you can buy the Astrostart RS-GM1 which will improve the range of the GM remote starter from 100 ft to 1400ft, so you'll actually be able to use it out and about, instead of just in your driveway.
I wonder if you could just get it programmed at the dealer, without buying the GM remotes? That would keep the cost to about $400, and very little wiring to be done. It still wouldn't be as nice a starter as the 2000 ft Astro tho for about the same money.

Carolyn
01-10-2009, 08:44 AM
I know when I was there the dealer said it had AP8 in it. Didn't really explain what that was, just that we had it. I was hoping our vehicle was remote start ready but alas it is not, that would make things easy.

fenderbass
01-10-2009, 09:04 AM
I know when I was there the dealer said it had AP8 in it. Didn't really explain what that was, just that we had it. I was hoping our vehicle was remote start ready but alas it is not, that would make things easy.If it has AP8 then its remote start ready..Look in the glove box..There is a label (build sheet)with all the RPO Numbers.If you see AP8. then it can be programed for AP3(Remote start)

fenderbass
01-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Then for another $299 you can buy the Astrostart RS-GM1 which will improve the range of the GM remote starter from 100 ft to 1400ft, so you'll actually be able to use it out and about, instead of just in your driveway.
I wonder if you could just get it programmed at the dealer, without buying the GM remotes? That would keep the cost to about $400, and very little wiring to be done. It still wouldn't be as nice a starter as the 2000 ft Astro tho for about the same money.You can get extended range from the dealer. But its about $300ish but still not great range.

starterwiz
01-10-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't do too many of the range extenders either. Usually for the cost, a regular starter gives better features, better range, and as a bonus can be removed when you trade in the vehicle, and installed into your next one.

Carolyn
01-10-2009, 01:51 PM
I just looked in the glove box and AP8 is listed. Question though, when I was at the dealership, when the guy told me it had AP8, he said it wasn't remote start ready? What exactly is AP8 and what has to be done for a one way system to be installed?

starterwiz
01-10-2009, 03:35 PM
They should be able to just turn it on, and program the new remotes in. All the new GMs are started by the computer anyways. All you need is the means to tell the computer that it should start.
Look carefully at the features you get tho. A few customers have not liked some of the limitations of the factory stuff. Things like only being able to start it twice before re-setting it at the vehicle, and very poor range.
I've also had a few come in for a remote start, just to get the keyless entry, since the dealer wants way too much to replace remotes when they fail. And of course you can't transfer it to your next car.
If you just want the cheapest thing possible, and only need it to work in your driveway, you should be fine, and you won't have to wait 'til February.

starterwiz
01-16-2009, 09:12 PM
I had a Honda with about 150,000 on it. The former owner used the car starter to run the car when the engine got down to cold. As I said, too much cold idling, and that engine burned oil like a pig. Very unusual for a Honda.

He obviously didn't change his oil as often as he should have. Idling cold causes fuel to leak past the rings into the oil, so it needs to be changed more often.
There are many cabs in New York City with 500,000 miles on the motor, and they are always idling, but they change their oil every week.
Every 5,000k under normal conditions, and more often under severe conditions. Starting, idling, and driving a car in the winter would be considered severe conditions. No?
I had a 91 Tercel that I neglected badly. Bought it brand new, and turned it in at 93,000k. I had let the oil get old and low, and it burned oil. I never had a car starter in it, as they didn't have 'em for standards back then.
Very unusual for a Toyota.
It wasn't the idling Barry...it was the lack of regular maintanence that killed the Honda.
Car starters are a luxury. If you can't afford to maintain yor car, you should probably invest in a good in car warmer.

starterwiz
01-16-2009, 09:25 PM

I have to question both of these comments.
Look at the ground wire on any car starter. It should be firmly attached to part of the main body/frame of the car.
Some places cut corners by just finding a convenient screw in the dash, rather than taking apart the kick panel, and grounding to the A pillar. The dash of a car is probably the worst ground there is, as all the instuments, heater, and ignition are already grounded there. But it's easy to do and takes 10 seconds instead of 5 minutes. Personally, I'd rather have the electrical connections done properly, than spend $1.50 a minute on making things look pretty, but that's just my opinion.
There is a lot more to installing than how pretty you make the wires.

If your friends car didn't shut off, then perhaps he had a burned brake light fuse. It's the brake light signal that normally shuts off a starter.
I have also seen starters with stuck relays, but that usually only happens on the cheapest starters these days. It was very common on the old canuck rubber starters, especially when the parking light would stick on, drain the battery, and of course only on the cold nights, which meant a new battery in the morning.
I'm curious to know what caused your friends starter to stay running. I'm always looking for a better way to install.

GRUMPY
01-17-2009, 07:34 AM
As stated before STAY AWAY from Future Shop as they don't have a clue

Hope
01-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks again for all the responses. We're going with Car Trek and have a appt. He even has tried twice to get us in earlier but my husband always seems to be working that day.:(

hp2
01-19-2009, 07:31 PM
well I must say startwiz is good he ripped my car apart last winter as when I bought it it had a starter but no remote.. it ended up he told me make and model of it..and where to get remote... and did not charge me anything.

Now I have new truck it has the AUTO start.. and I LOVE IT....................

General Lee
01-19-2009, 08:00 PM
i wish i could afford autostart lol
\

car trek hooked me up with a remote for my wife's intrpid could not find em anywhere but there

hp2
01-20-2009, 05:26 AM
I dunno how much the system was back when the truck was new.. but I do know my moms 94 geo metro had the same one as my truck does and its a 01... I know its the same as I just found the remote for my moms car LOL and my remote is broken for the truck.. well the body of it is.. SO I plane to switch the case.. IM so scared im going to loose the remote for my truck as it flops in my purse all the time.. errrrrrr..

ITS the AUTOSTART brand.. and works like a charm...

starterwiz
01-20-2009, 11:59 AM
I can rebuild your case for you. It seems a certain fluid I have disolves ABS plastic very nicely, and works wonders on most remote cases. $10, and you need to leave it over night. I may have some old Autostart cases in my junk box. N/C if I have one that fits.
Cheers.

oops...just re-read that, and see you have a case.. For anyone else with a broken case then, better than having to pay $40 for a new one.

Hope
02-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Well we got our starter and can't be happier. :) It's nice not freezing our @ss in the mornings. Car Trek is awesome to deal with, thanks again.:D