PDA

View Full Version : Mary Did You Know?

Super Gram
01-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Song by Kenny Rogers

http://www.andiesisle.com/didsheknow.html

BlueSky
01-03-2009, 10:25 AM
The lyrics were written by Mark Lowry and I believe the tune was written by Buddy Greene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0WIJw8JVeU

almabear
01-03-2009, 01:29 PM
I love that song , it gives me goosebumps at the wonder of it all.

BlueSky
01-04-2009, 09:51 AM
It's a religious theme about Mary, mother of Jesus. If we put it in the music section, they will ask, "Shouldn't this be in the religious section?"

GRUMPY
01-04-2009, 10:29 AM
true in a way however one must remember when making this kind of decision that what is good for the goose is good for the gander.so now if somebody were to post a song that you didn't like the message of but was of religious content you should leave it in here too then ie. devil worshipping for example. While it might be a bit extreme an example however now that you allowed this song you "should" allow the other..

Barry Morris
01-04-2009, 12:47 PM
true in a way however one must remember when making this kind of decision that what is good for the goose is good for the gander.so now if somebody were to post a song that you didn't like the message of but was of religious content you should leave it in here too then ie. devil worshipping for example. While it might be a bit extreme an example however now that you allowed this song you "should" allow the other..

Other religions have posted content here without any comment from Christians whatsoever.

Where were you??

BlueSky
01-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks Grump. I agree. As long as you don't start arguing that Black Sabbath is a religious group ;)

Come to think of it, do you know any Satanists that sing joyfully at their meetings?

I will make a bold statement that I will not be able to substantiate. Christianity gave the world music.

Barry Morris
01-04-2009, 02:05 PM
We had Buddhists posting for a while. No problem.

Other religions have posted quite a bit, but of course, if they start posting garbage about Christianity, they might be challenged.

"God Gave Rock and Roll to You!!"

Slow
01-04-2009, 04:41 PM
"God Gave Rock and Roll to You!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvZyGp-LG4I

The Berean
01-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Petra a christian band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTSmym2fBzA

Slow
01-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Wow, that was BRUTAL

The Berean
01-04-2009, 04:52 PM
define brutal.

Barry Morris
01-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Petra a christian band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTSmym2fBzA

That starts with "Judas Kiss".

Slow
01-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Click on the link you provided.

The Berean
01-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Says "what are you looking for the devil for, when you should be looking for the Lord" opening of "Judas Kiss"

Barry Morris
01-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Says "what are you looking for the devil for, when you should be looking for the Lord" opening of "Judas Kiss"

I knew that!! Had a tape machine once that would play backwards!!

Petra!! Freakin' loud!!!!

GRUMPY
01-04-2009, 06:38 PM
I will make a bold statement that I will not be able to substantiate. Christianity gave the world music.

Sorry but there was music long before religion was invented.

BlueSky
01-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Can you substantiate your claim, Grump?

Jack Butler
01-04-2009, 07:23 PM
I had to...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prehistoric_music

Jack Butler
01-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Here's a better one....

It is widely agreed, based on the analysis of these flutes, that instrumental music dates back at least around 37.000 years (which is the age of the oldest uncontested bone flute found at Geissenklösterle in Germany).

http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Origin_of_music

Barry Morris
01-04-2009, 07:48 PM

Nope, Adam believed in God before there was music!!! :) :) :)

animal lover
01-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Music has been around longer than religion, especially longer that Christianity!

BlueSky
01-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Nope, Adam believed in God before there was music!!! :) :) :)

But Barry, my claim was that Christianity gave the world music. Which means Adam doesn't count.

I said I couldn't substantiate my claim. It was a wild guess.

Barry Morris
01-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Sorry BlueSky, King David would totally disagree.

Music has been around longer than religion, especially longer that Christianity!

So what is religion??? Do you think it might have started the first time man looked around, or up into the sky and wondered what man was and why he existed???

So I would suspect such an event before music existed. In my opinion, FWIW.

BlueSky
01-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Yeah, it was a dumb claim to make.

I do know that as far as religious music is concerned, Christianity was there first. You won't find nearly the complex music in other world religions that you find in Christianity. I am thinking of the evolution of music in the midldle ages and following the reformation.

Jack Butler
01-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Did you miss my link?
What about the animal song, was that before Adam?
You know birds, whales, apes etc.....

Barry Morris
01-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Did you miss my link?
What about the animal song, was that before Adam?
You know birds, whales, apes etc.....

I don't consider matings ritual to be music.

Except maybe amoung being that don't operate by instinct!! :) :) :)

Jack Butler
01-04-2009, 09:17 PM
I guess it helps to be selective.
Animal song is more complex than a mating ritual.....suit yourself.

GRUMPY
01-04-2009, 10:08 PM
I don't consider matings ritual to be music.

Except maybe amoung being that don't operate by instinct!! :) :) :)

Sorry Barry and I know this will come as a shock to you however it doesn't matter what you think that counts . I personally don't think that rap is music however people are getting rich selling that crap.

BlueSky
01-04-2009, 10:32 PM
OK, NOW the thread is turning to music only. Move it to the music forum. Or get back to a religious discussion.

GRUMPY
01-04-2009, 10:38 PM
SORRY... no arguing with the mods..

animal lover
01-04-2009, 11:12 PM
[QUOTE=So what is religion??? Do you think it might have started the first time man looked around, or up into the sky and wondered what man was and why he existed???

So I would suspect such an event before music existed. In my opinion, FWIW.[/QUOTE].

Funny you would say that Barry. Part of my argument about having to be saved, or born again if you will, has always been that there were, and probably still are primitive people who have never heard of Christianity and probably developed rituals to honor the sun and stars and the rain, as it is those elements which give them life, through growing seasons stc.

Yet I've been told over and over again that unless you accept Christ as your saviour you will not go to heaven no matter what else you believe. And thus, that is why missionaries are needed, to spread the word of God so that those people will be 'saved'.

What happens to them if they don't beleive that?
Are they doomed?

Because to be honest, if someone from another country/culture came to me and said I had to believe what they beleived or else ...I probably would not believe them.

Why would I? Living in the jungle, away from civilization, how would I know, if they were telling me the truth or not? Just because they said so? And reading to me from the bible would not convince me either since I would have no referance by which to judge it, only their word.

GRUMPY
01-04-2009, 11:23 PM
All very good points you've made. Makes you wonder what would have happened if you read out of some fairy tale book to them and told them they had to believe. However back then it wasn't as if they were given much of a choice in the matter. They were going to be saved even if it killed them.

GRUMPY
01-04-2009, 11:35 PM
How about that you learn something new every day, if you post that a moderator is power tripping you get a warning from the said moderator. So I guess I won't be saying that again.

fenderbass
01-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Why is this crap posted in musician central...list it in the bible thumper section

GRUMPY
01-04-2009, 11:44 PM
now don't be after the moderator in that section because you will get a warning notice too.

Jack Butler
01-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Ahh....just when it was getting good!
........you showed us!

Barry Morris
01-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Why is this crap posted in musician central...list it in the bible thumper section

God knows!!!

animal lover
01-05-2009, 10:04 AM
This is just nuts! It should be back in the religion forum!

fenderbass
01-05-2009, 10:06 AM
God knows!!!...Your a funny guy! Post this in the correct forum. Not here!!

Barry Morris
01-05-2009, 10:15 AM
...Your a funny guy! Post this in the correct forum. Not here!!

Wasn't my decision. Check Grumpy's comments.

End of this thread.

fenderbass
01-05-2009, 12:29 PM
now don't be after the moderator in that section because you will get a warning notice too...Then the moderator needs to put this back into the correct forum. Or is he/she going to move every thread that has a conversation about church music. This forum is for local musicians to talk about local issues. Moderator do your job and move this thread.

fenderbass
01-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Yeah, it was a dumb claim to make.

I do know that as far as religious music is concerned, Christianity was there first. You won't find nearly the complex music in other world religions that you find in Christianity. I am thinking of the evolution of music in the midldle ages and following the reformation.
Here is a great example of you talking about (Christianity and religions) with a music under tone.Just leave this in the religion forum. I'm not interested in you Religion.

Barry Morris
01-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Too bad you're not interested in the roots of your music.

Tutones
01-05-2009, 07:30 PM

Actually that is debatable. Music and spirituality are very closely tied together throughout the evolution of all cultures.

fenderbass
01-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Too bad you're not interested in the roots of your music. Sorry you can't sell me on religion and you won't convince me that music was
from your magic land of Christianity...Go Preach to somebody else..

fenderbass
01-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Moderator move this dam post..this is not the correct forum. Do your job!

Barry Morris
01-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Something occured to me, a little logic in the history of music.

One of the things that makes music appealing is it's singability. 4/4 and sometimes 3/4 time songs, with a steady beat, are the most easy for a group of people to sing.

And who discovered that first, where groups of people came together to sing??

The same place where probably 50 percent of the people in the audio business come from.

I leave the answer to you.

P.S. Gearheadjay, I ain't religious!! Have a nice day.

Barry Morris
01-06-2009, 05:25 PM
BTW, he's right. This thread should never have been moved.