PDA

View Full Version : Dinner convo...

SIMBA
01-04-2009, 06:58 PM
While sitting among friends at dinner tonight someone brought up an interesting question.

Do you think obese people are more likely to have obese children?

Is it genetics or is it learned behaviour especially if the parent(s) was at one time of reasonably healthy weight?

What are your thoughts?

bluekrissyspikes
01-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Do you think tall people are more likely to have tall children?

Is it genetics or is it learned behaviour especially if the parent(s) was at one time of reasonably healthy height?

What are your thoughts?

Do you think pale people are more likely to have pale children?

Is it genetics or is it learned behaviour especially if the parent(s) was at one time of reasonably healthy color?

What are your thoughts?

Karen-Annie
01-04-2009, 07:12 PM
I think it is both genetics AND poor eating habits. It is NOT a given that a child will be obese if they are fed a proper diet and get enough physical activity. But ANY kid,if fed too much food,junk food,fatty food,etc. and who sits in front of a TV/computer,is driven everywhere and never plays active games outside will have a weight problem even if they have thin parents. Genetics is only one factor in obesity not an absolute given,no matter what.

Jack Butler
01-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Yes!
Actually...a bit of both.

http://organizedwisdom.com/Obesity_Passed_Down_From_Mother

b&aMom
01-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Both.

Chaotic Chick
01-04-2009, 07:57 PM
I am fat (I have a thyroid disorder and I have to have my thyroid removed eventually but I was skinny until I was 20). I recently gained 35 pounds because of an injury as well. My four kids are skinny. I believe that overweight parents who have unhealthy eating habits will have overweight kids because they will feed them unhealthy food. Unless my kids inherit my thyroid disorder, or start eating unhealthy foods, I highly doubt that any of them will be fat. And although I have a thyroid disorder, I managed to lose quite a bit of weight but only gained it back because of my injury. I really don't believe that most people have anything wrong with them that they are completely unable to lose weight with healthy eating and exercise. I know that now that I have been able to start exercising again, I will lose weight but I will never be 100 pounds again.

riggs
01-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Do you think tall people are more likely to have tall children?

Is it genetics or is it learned behaviour especially if the parent(s) was at one time of reasonably healthy height?

What are your thoughts?

Do you think pale people are more likely to have pale children?

Is it genetics or is it learned behaviour especially if the parent(s) was at one time of reasonably healthy color?

What are your thoughts?

So much for asking a simple question..................

verotik66
01-04-2009, 08:34 PM
While sitting among friends at dinner tonight someone brought up an interesting question.

Is it genetics or is it learned behaviour especially if the parent(s) was at one time of reasonably healthy weight?

What are your thoughts?

your kids learn a lot from YOU the parent, if you are obese chances are you aren't out exercising too much and this is what your kids will learn, sit on the couch and eat chips and drink pop watch tv all day.

Chester Field
01-04-2009, 08:36 PM

What are your thoughts?

Small percentage genetic. Large percentage learned behaviour (or no choice for the child).

What were you and your friends eating for dinner :)

IMHO
01-04-2009, 11:46 PM
I think that thyroid excuse is what all overweight people want to have. The actual gland that is causing the problem is the mouth. If less food goes in the scales will reward you. I have fought the buldge battle all my life and have yet to win. I know the problem...the solution is difficult. I say its as hard as giving up smoking.

01-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Putting down the fork is learned.

I seen that episode on Maury with the large children. 2 year old pounding back 2litres of cola and eating a bucket of chicken.

That my sir isn't thyroid, that is learned!

Large/Obese MOSTLY is caused by poor eating habits without countering with exercise.

I woke up with a beer belly this year and put on 17lbs since quitting smoking, and it isn't anyones fault except mine.

Funny thing is, I told my Dr. about it when he ask how my quitting was going, and he said "We should check your thyroid"

LOL He used it as a scape goat.. i said naw. i'm getting fat.

IMHO
01-05-2009, 12:12 AM
Maybe I should smoke to lose weight then....NOT. Congrats on giving up the smokes and think of all the money you will save. I never smoked but it sure must be difficult. Many smokers I know said they really want to quit....but.....

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
01-05-2009, 05:57 AM
I am fat (I have a thyroid disorder and I have to have my thyroid removed eventually but I was skinny until I was 20). I recently gained 35 pounds because of an injury as well. My four kids are skinny. I believe that overweight parents who have unhealthy eating habits will have overweight kids because they will feed them unhealthy food. Unless my kids inherit my thyroid disorder, or start eating unhealthy foods, I highly doubt that any of them will be fat. And although I have a thyroid disorder, I managed to lose quite a bit of weight but only gained it back because of my injury. I really don't believe that most people have anything wrong with them that they are completely unable to lose weight with healthy eating and exercise. I know that now that I have been able to start exercising again, I will lose weight but I will never be 100 pounds again.

A good example that sometimes gaining weight isnt because of sitting around eating junk food. Its funny how people find it very easy to assume things these days...

Chaotic Chick
01-05-2009, 08:01 AM
A good example that sometimes gaining weight isnt because of sitting around eating junk food. Its funny how people find it very easy to assume things these days...

Well, we must have some endocronologists on the BBS, since it is just an excuse. lol My thyroid is literally dead, and I am on high doses of medications. I do exercise and eat well. Sure, I eat the occasional junk, but who doesn't? If my eating and exercise habits were horrible, I think my childrens' would be as well. I recently started exercising more, now that I realized my injury is not going to get any better than it is now.
So, I am off to do my morning exercises. :P

EyelashExtensions
01-05-2009, 08:50 AM
It's both. I think some of it is diseases like thyroid, some of it genetics and some of it bad eating exercising habits. In our family(referring to Aunts, Uncles and Grandparents etc...) no one is obese, I think in part it's our genes, we aren't meant to be big people. On both sides of my family it is like that. My mom used to eat an entire chocolate cake a day, fattening foods and still she never weighed more than 160 pounds(her highest weight ever). She also wasn't very active. Medication can also cause weight gain, like steroids or birth control pills. Could be any or all factors really.

BlueSky
01-05-2009, 09:05 AM
I am about 40 pounds overweight. As a child, I would frequently have desserts after our supper. Bread was a staple for everything. We were disciplined to eat everything on our plates. Not finishing your plate considered being rude, and we always heard about starving kids in Africa or Biafra.

So, we ate. Add to that 2 parents who experienced WW2 in Europe, so perhaps the good life in a new country perhaps helped to overcompensate.

So I became chunky as a kid. I started smoking at 15, and that helped curb my appetite, and at age 22 I quit, and I immediately gained my appetite (and my sweet tooth) back.

My father was overweight, but no one else is overweight. So in my case, I suspect it was a learned behaviour. I can easily lose 10-15 pounds, and then I hit a wall, and have real difficulty getting through that wall.

Sweet Little Sister
01-05-2009, 09:07 AM
i think it depends on why the parents are obese. is it bad eating habits and lack of physical activity or is it a medical condition..

both, again, depending on the reason behind the parents obesity. but good eating habits, presenting the children with healthy food choices and ensuring some physical activity everyday is a major factor in both cases.
i think it is so sad to see children that are obese because their parents let them eat 'a bucket of chicken and 2l of pop' ( i saw that maury too, and cried) learned behaviours are so much much harder to break when it happens at an early age..it made me sick to see that 300lb pound mother crying because her 2yr old weighed 100lbs..sobbing because all the kid wanted to eat was grits and sausage. well ffs quit buying it!

IMHO
01-05-2009, 09:10 AM
If we all went to bed a 6 p.m. we would not gain weight(IMHO). Its what I eat between 6 and midnight that does the damage. I often thought if i was put into a deep sleep for 2 mo nths and fed intraveneously...what would happen?

Xzavia
01-05-2009, 10:10 AM
If we all went to bed a 6 p.m. we would not gain weight(IMHO). Its what I eat between 6 and midnight that does the damage. I often thought if i was put into a deep sleep for 2 mo nths and fed intraveneously...what would happen?

You probably wet the bed, or worse!:omg:

MaO3
01-05-2009, 10:43 AM
I think alot of it is what people put in thier mouths, you can't eat junk or in restaurants daily and not gain weight.

I don't think most of us can eat whatever we like and still maintain our weight.
I know that I can't. I've gained a bunch of weight in the last few years and its my doing. I quit smoking, I injured my back and I ate way too much.

No-ones problem but MINE!

My problem to solve.

Kids learn from thier parents yes, but once we reach maturity what we put in our mouth's is OUR responsiblilty. In my opinion.

Sophie's_Mommy
01-05-2009, 11:02 AM
yes i agree with MA03, people use excuses of why they are over weight when i think its what they eat and how much excersise they get..my aunt weighed 480 pounds she used the "thyroid" excuse, well that was 10 years ago, she started to eat right and exercise and she is proud to say that today she is 250 pounds and still losing more and looking good just from eating right and exercising. she will have to have surgery to remove access skin but it is worth it for her self esteem and health..

Anapeg
01-05-2009, 11:04 AM
I have to agree that there are viable medical reasons for a person to be over weight. By and large the reason is empty calories at improper times. I have seen children sit with a bedtime snack worthy of the title 'meal'. Inactivity plays a major role in obesity in young and old alike. To days reliance on technology to entertain rather than the out of doors is a terrible thing to inflict upon our children.

As an aside. Did you realize that it is not only acceptable but legal to show prejudice toward 'heavy' people? Before you get on your high horse and prove me wrong, read on. My daughter was fired from a dough nut shop who shall remain , for being "too fat" and not the image the company wanted to convey. We went to the company, the Labour Board, and a lawyer, all told us we where 'barking' up the wrong tree.

My daughter has since dropped almost 170 pounds and moved on but that scar remains. The weight loss was by the way through surgery not will power.

Sophie's_Mommy
01-05-2009, 11:09 AM
that is wrong is discrimination, and why would u be barking up the wrong tree? that sounds unfair, even for a lawyer to tell u that. I would of found a new layer and taken them to court , probably would o won your case. your poor daughter, that must of hurt her alot.. i know what its like to be over weight and made fun of ect,,,i was 250 pounds and within the past 5 years i went down to 150 pounds, since the baby i ve gained a few pounds and it sucks and i can t wait till summer to loose the weight ive gained...but hey i guess a few pounds is worth it for having such a healthy beautiful smart baby girl ;)

Anapeg
01-05-2009, 06:35 PM
The read I got on the meetings with the Labour Board and the lawyer (on retainer BTW so I had trust in him) was that weight was a life choice and therefore something she could change if she chose to. It was not a life choice as at twenty eight and after the birth of the last of her entourage she had life threatening surgery to become who she is to-day.

A*lil*Loopy
01-06-2009, 06:15 PM
I disagree entirely with Thinking Hard about the excuse issue. I believe it is a combination of genetics and habits. There are legitimate thyroid patients who are overweight because of this. I have a prime example in my family. Family history of thyroid problems and watched my own Mother go from tiny to obese because of her thyroid. Her doctor works with her to balance her meds and lately things aren't working so they keep trying. It also affects mental state as well. Another family member lost a huge amount of weight because of her thyroid and now only two years later has gained a huge amount. Her diet is rather bare and bland and she is about two fingers away from becoming bulimic because of the frustration. She has sought medical help and they are yet to take her seriously. Past blood test results for her thyroid have "disappeared" so she is trying to switch physicians.

Thyroid problems can be genetic and definitely can result in obesity, I've seen it and it's hard for those people. It's like fighting a losing battle and being judged. There is something horribly unfair about someone judging you without knowing you.

I'm also overweight and even my doctor has offered me bypass surgery and scolded me for overeating.
Thankfully the head pulmonary doctor from Toronto had a look at me and my medical charts and took me off the medication that was causing it all. Goes to show that sometimes even the ones you trust to pay attention, don't. I'm down 75 lbs so far and my diet has not changed. Guess it's not all habits or genetics.

lynys
01-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Medication is a huge factor in some overweight people. Also, thyroid problems can cause a ton of problems. Depression, insomnia, and in some cases, psychosis. It is not to be taken lightly.

01-06-2009, 07:11 PM
My whole family is fat because of laziness. They don't move. They eat alot.

crazymamma
01-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Well...I'm overweight...not by choice believe me! I'm trying everything to loose it!!!! Exerciseing eating right etc. I'm diabetic...and that is hereditery...that caused my weight gain! I've lost over 100 pounds and those who know me know I work my A$$ off. I'm in a position at work where I'm constantly lifting etc. It's hard...people should not make fun of people nor judge them because of their weight. Put yourself in their shoes....it's not fun. I'm trying eveything possible through the care of my doctor. I get why don't you staple your stomache or why not do vitamin b shots...that's a quick fix in my eyes...and besides with diabetes there are lots of risks to consider....so I eat well and exercise...it doesn't come off as fast as people want it to but slow is better my body has a chance to adjust!

01-06-2009, 07:20 PM
I don't understand if someone has physical or medical problems that is causing their weight issues, I have no idea how a bypass or stapling will help.

If it is a thyroid problem or diabetes, you will still have that problem if you get a bypass or stapling, right?

01-06-2009, 07:26 PM
That link doesn't expain how someone with a thyroid problem, gets cured by stomache stapling.

Chaotic Chick
01-06-2009, 07:33 PM
With thyroid disorder, a gastric bypass will do nothing. I have never been overweight to the point my doctor would even consider surgery for me, but I was told that it does not help one with weight related to thyroid disease. Since my medication does not work, even exercising is not helping at this point, but I hope it will eventually. The thing about thyroid disorders is some people think that once they start the thyroid medications, they will lose weight. Not true. A person still has to watch what they eat, and exercise. It is hard, because having no thyroid function at all causes extreme fatigue as well. So, motivation is a huge thing. My motivation is that I want to be healthy, AND lose weight. Tired or not, I have to get up at 6 am and exercise, and I have to watch what I eat.

01-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Ok thought so.

So, if you have a medical problem, getting a bypass/stapling/band WILL not help? So they get them for nothing.

So the ones who do get them are capable of losing the weight themselves because they don't have a medical problem?

Chaotic Chick
01-06-2009, 07:39 PM
I am not sure about some medical problems, but my doctor says that with a thyroid disorder, since the metabolism is not working, it will not help. When I was diagnosed with thyroid disease in 1990, I doubled my weight within less than a year. I was eating normally, and walked at least five miles a day. The medication was prescribed (and it worked then, before my thyroid no longer responded to it) and I had to work out and eat less than usual, in order to lose 90 pounds.

01-06-2009, 07:41 PM
That truly does suck :(

I just don't know why people opt to get tummy tucks rather than exercise. I've been told because of "thyroid" issues, but like ou stated, they would still have the issues, and probably gain the weight back.

Chaotic Chick
01-06-2009, 07:45 PM
I would think so. I have known two people who gained weight back after a gastric bypass. One is my aunt, who is now over 400 pounds again!

I am hopeful that my doctors will find the right medications for me, since it has been a year that I have had the new symptoms, but in the meantime I do not want to gain MORE weight. And I sure hope my kids do no inherit my thyroid disorder. I inherited it from my mother, but after struggling with her weight for many years, she is down to 125 pounds and has been for four years. So I am hopeful!

01-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Well I hope the best for ya! As long as your happy!

heintzman
01-06-2009, 09:33 PM
I think that thyroid excuse is what all overweight people want to have. The actual gland that is causing the problem is the mouth. If less food goes in the scales will reward you. I have fought the buldge battle all my life and have yet to win. I know the problem...the solution is difficult. I say its as hard as giving up smoking.

so what you are saying is that someone with an overactive thyroid, one that cannot get warm, one that cannot gain weight, even though eating 6 full meals a day,,, that is their excuse to being so thin that people call them skinny,,, which they take offense to because they wish they could bulk up a bit,,,,thyroid conditions,,are not a choice whether hypo or hyper,,, it is a condition!

skibunnie64
01-06-2009, 09:39 PM
With thyroid disorder, a gastric bypass will do nothing. I have never been overweight to the point my doctor would even consider surgery for me, but I was told that it does not help one with weight related to thyroid disease. Since my medication does not work, even exercising is not helping at this point, but I hope it will eventually. The thing about thyroid disorders is some people think that once they start the thyroid medications, they will lose weight. Not true. A person still has to watch what they eat, and exercise. It is hard, because having no thyroid function at all causes extreme fatigue as well. So, motivation is a huge thing. My motivation is that I want to be healthy, AND lose weight. Tired or not, I have to get up at 6 am and exercise, and I have to watch what I eat.

That is not totally true, I know people who have had weight loss surgery and have a thyroid problem and have lost weight and kept it off. I don't know all the particulars of their thyroid and medications but know they have had the surgery. Just because you have surgery however, doesn't guarantee to keep the weight off. You still have to change your lifestyle as well. The surgery is just a tool you still have to watch what you eat and exercise.

heintzman
01-06-2009, 09:42 PM

What are your thoughts?

so what about those Hounds!!... or the Weather,,, or the economy!!,,, such a personal topic,,, i think it should rate with politics and religion,,,, should not be brought..especially when medical issues arise!....

8th
01-06-2009, 09:48 PM
those topics are not about the hidden agenda post is about!

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
01-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Whoa, are you serious?

Sweet Little Sister
01-06-2009, 09:53 PM
bring me a beer and some nachos