PDA

View Full Version : Once again I ask....

Huggy85
01-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Why do Sault residents pay so much for furnace fuel? I wish someone could answer my question.

Sudbury price for furnace oil - 85.6 cents per liter
Timmins 85.2 cents
Thunder Bay 87.8 cents

Sault Ste Marie 95.8 cents

http://www2.nrcan.gc.ca/eneene/sources/pripri/prov_map_e.cfm?ProvCode=ON

Chart is at the bottom of the page

Peety
01-07-2009, 11:53 PM
It must be the trucking costs.

Upper Decker
01-07-2009, 11:54 PM
Plain old SSM greed that has sunk majority of our economy and prospects.

Huggy85
01-07-2009, 11:55 PM
It must be the trucking costs. That much cheaper to truck to Timmins? lol

italiandomino
01-07-2009, 11:55 PM
I wish i could answer your question Huggy

Huggy85
01-08-2009, 12:05 AM
I wish i could answer your question Huggy

I wish you could to ID. Then I could stop asking it.

Tutones
01-08-2009, 03:55 PM

I know that some companies in town (McDougall) charge significantly more than others (Wardlaw). I have been very tempted to change companies due to the huge discrepancy in the prices lately.

I had my tank filled the same day that BDK called Wardlaw just after Christmas and his oil was over 10 cents a litre cheaper than mine.

Anapeg
01-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Sault Ste. Marie, Sudbury, and Thunder Bay don't have product trucked in. Timmins on the other hand does, almost daily. Our petroleum products all arrive in bulk by ship during the summer months only, hence my complaint about price variations of gas on a daily basis. Our price should change only upon receipt of a fresh load.

As to the cost per litre for HHO Fudd Rucker hit the proverbial nail on the head.

Super Gram
01-08-2009, 06:17 PM

Thats is their excuse. You can't tell me trucking to Timmins don't cost a lot.It the same as the gas gougers here in the Sault.

Miles From Nowhere
01-08-2009, 06:40 PM
First of all, Sudbury bulk plant receives Procor rail car shipments of both diesel fuel and gasoline almost daily including through the winter. I'm assuming Thunder Bay is also the same. At the rate fuel is drawn from the storage tanks, the terminals would be empty within 2 weeks if there wasn't a continuous supply. Since furnace oil is simply a diesel fuel/kerosene blend with a red dye additive, it isn't shipped in as a finished product but blended at the loading arms. I deliver furnace oil to a couple of customers around Sudbury and always load it out of Sudbury. We have actually run out of product a couple of times this winter already, both diesel and gasoline. While I can't explain the price differences between different locations and products (there doesn't seem to be any logic about it), I can say without a doubt that fuel at the bulk terminal is constantly replenished all year long.

Miles From Nowhere
01-08-2009, 06:48 PM
I don't know if hotlinking is allowed but here are the current rack (wholesale) prices for Imperial Oil (Esso) Terminals.

http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/files/Products_Industrial_Wholesale/IW_rack_prices.pdf

Furnace price is under FFO under distillates.

Tutones
01-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Of course those prices are before government taxes are added on, I assume.

Anapeg
01-08-2009, 08:52 PM
The only reason to replenish Sudbury is the lack of a deep local port. I do stand corrected as I hauled into Sudbury all winter for Texaco and Imperial Oil. They do have limited storage capacity. Here in the Sault we are left with millions of gallons of product on hand in the late fall the same as T Bay. T Bay has a port much deeper than ours and therefore in the late fall tanker ships will bypass the Sault to go directly to Thunder Bay. They then in turn drop the remainder of the shipment in the Sault, hence the ships turning up bound at the government dock.

Miles, a question. When did 'winter' diesel/furnace become diesel/kero mix? When I played it was simply a change to stove oil with a flash point below 134 degrees F as I recall(it's been a long time since I helped unload a ship).

Miles From Nowhere
01-08-2009, 10:43 PM
I may be wrong about furnace oil itself, it may be a diesel blend with some other additive and the dye. Apparently, furnace and summer fuel are interchangeable without adverse effects. I know that winter fuel is blended in 2 degrees. The first is the winter blend, good to -25 and the second is a northern blend, good to -40. To my understanding, the difference is the amount of kerosene added to the fuel. Anything north of Essa Road in Barrie is required to supply winter fuel and north of the 46th should be selling the northern blend. As far as when it became this mix, I don't know. I've been hauling fuel now for over a year and it was blended last winter as well.

Anapeg
01-09-2009, 07:49 AM
Kero and diesel mixed was jet 'A' to us. The dye had been introduced first in Quebec then here. We added it manually for a while then it was injected at the 'rack'. I always thought the low waxing characteristics of stove oil to be sufficient with conditioner added for the colder climes. I guess as long as the flash point is above a certain degree it's copacetic.